Maps Broken/Frozen - and Fixed

sonicwind

Bronze
May 12, 2008
I used the Maps program extensively Sat., looking up auto parts stores, getting directions, calling them. It worked great and the other guys I was with were astounded by the functionality and it was REALLY useful. However at some point the screen got stuck on one auto parts store information screen and wouldn't respond any more. The back (Map) button wouldn't respond, nor would the screen scroll. It was simply frozen. Killing and restarting Maps, nor restarting the phone itself would resolve the problem. Starting Maps would immediately go to this screen and freeze.

Another friend of mine had had similar problems plus other problems with installed programs stopping working. Before going the DFU route, he just uninstalled all his programs and then resynced them via iTunes and this fixed his problems including Maps. I tried this and it didn't fix my Maps.

On a whim I tried sending myself an email with a Maps link in it. I opened the email on my phone and clicked the link. Maps loaded and went to the link and now it's working again. Sample link below:

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=cupertino

I'm pretty disappointed with all the bugs on this thing. If I hadn't already fallen in love with the iPhone interface I would return it. I had a Windows Mobile based phone that was nearly this bad once. (I've had several Windows Mobile phones, but only one that was nearly as buggy as the iPwn 3G.) I didn't keep that Windows Mobile phone very long. I'm sort of expecting Apple to release a stabilizing version pretty soon, but the MobileMe release is not instilling me with confidence. I'm really pulling for the iPhone, but Apple needs to get behind their claim of quality.

stevetim

Silver
Jul 20, 2007
did you try holding the home button to force quit? A dl'd game froze on me and it was the first time I had to force it. Then a simple reboot seems to clear up everything.

sonicwind

Bronze
May 12, 2008
did you try holding the home button to force quit? A dl'd game froze on me and it was the first time I had to force it. Then a simple reboot seems to clear up everything.
Yes, I tried that, too.

mjforce22

Sep 4, 2008
It worked!

I had the exact same problem. You're solution worked perfectly. Thanks much.

toyotaisme

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
so cal
I had the same problem I contacted Apple and has to reformat back to original status and Statr over it was a pain.

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
They actually swapped out my iPhone when I showed them the problem I was having with the Maps application. That was a 2G, though, so they probably weren't quite as scrutinous, but still, the guy took the phone, watched as Maps stopped letting me hit the swap button when both direction points were filled in, restored the phone, tried it again, and gave me a different phone because it was still doing it. He deemed it a defective touchscreen, and the replacement has been perfectly fine.

It might be worth having them look at it.

mastic

Oct 30, 2008
Underlying Problem

Apparently there is some problem with the configuration file that stores the state of the Maps program. If you happen to have a jail broken iPhone (or some other means to get at the file system) you can try deleting the file com.apple.Maps.plist. For me this file was located under /var/mobile/Library/Preferences but it will likely be dependent on what installer you used.

Upon deleting, the program starts back to it's "like-new" settings.