Maps, compass, car. Anyone notice...

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
... It doesn't work so well? Maybe it's just my particular mount, but Google Maps has me driving at a 45-degree angle constantly. Now, I can turn the phone 360 degrees in this mount, and doing so will line up the compass with the map, but then the map is obviously offset from reality and my phone looks stupid sitting there at a 45-degree angle.

So, the compass is supposed to work whether you're holding the phone straight up or horizontally, correct? Generally it does for me. Just not in the mount. Anyone else getting this? Could magnetics from my car's electronics be interfering? All I have is stock Honda Element audio equipment.

Adam1389

Silver
Nov 20, 2008
Ilwaco, WA
Right with you...I found if mine is close to my steering wheel or stereo, its throws it off...Have to mount it right in the middle of my truck or something. Honda Ridgeline, all stock equipment.. Outside of the truck it seems pretty much dead on.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Oh good, it's not just me then.

The other thing is using maps+gps+compass+3G on the go is a massive battery drainer! And charging while doing this (especially if it's in direct sunlight through the windshield) makes for a very hot iPhone. I'm not expecting much from this upcoming Tom Tom app..

Adam1389

Silver
Nov 20, 2008
Ilwaco, WA
I downloaded G-Map to use for the GPS, charging and texting and everything (use backgrounder) and the phone stayed about the usual temp for charging. I can see all that activity draining it quick for sure though.

I personally do not like using mounts. I have this monster iPhone charger/mount thing and it interferes a lot with my driving. It sticks out way to far and i can't shift without smashing it(I drive a stick). It seemed to disorient google maps as well, cause i found when it was mounted in the charger it wouldn't always read correctly. It seems to work much better when i just have it in my cup holder.

Also i found that in the compass app itself you get two different readings for direction when you have your phone vertically and horizontally. Maybe the same thing could be interfering on this as well?

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
It is all the electromagnetic interference from your car that causes the problems. When I try to use mine in the car it says you can recalibrate it using the "figure 8" motion, but it doesn't work very well.

With regards the tom tom app, you don't really need a compass for turn by turn directions, so my hopes are still high for this one..

Quake97

Silver
Jul 10, 2007
Philly Burbs
I don't think it's interference, it the way the iPhone is sitting. I've found that the compass works best when it's laying flat, i.e. like you'd normally use a compass. When you hold it vertically, it doesn't work as well. I'm assuming your car mount holds the iPhone vertically so you can see the screen. I do and get the same types of issues you do when driving.

Joe

Michael Baturin

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
South Jersey
Same here. Infact, when I am in my car, and I open Compass or Maps and double tap the cross hairs, I get a message "Compass Interference" and my phone displays the direction at a 45 degree angle from the direction I am driving. The compass itself does not seem to work too well. If I sit in a chair and spin 180, the compass spins 250/270. :( I just installed a DNX6140 Nav system in my car though so I wont be using the iPhone GPS too much anymore. Ashame because the new features and I used to use it religiously.

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
I don't think it's interference, it the way the iPhone is sitting. I've found that the compass works best when it's laying flat, i.e. like you'd normally use a compass. When you hold it vertically, it doesn't work as well. I'm assuming your car mount holds the iPhone vertically so you can see the screen. I do and get the same types of issues you do when driving.

Joe
Sorry but this is completely incorrect... I have tried in car using flat, vertically...everything and the interference is still as bad...

Its from the electromagnetic interference from the car, see this site, shows that all electronic compasses have this issue

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r22609552-iphone-Compass-Magnetometer-Interference

trnsilver

Zealot
Gold
Feb 2, 2008
Florida
I'm not sure how I did it, but I was able at one point while I was in the compass app to be able to put it on google maps and it showed like my direction and as i turned it, the map turned with me. Since this happened, I have not been able to replicate it. How do I do this?

MrMike6by9

Evangelist
Gold
Nov 16, 2008
Maryland, USA
I'm not sure how I did it, but I was able at one point while I was in the compass app to be able to put it on google maps and it showed like my direction and as i turned it, the map turned with me. Since this happened, I have not been able to replicate it. How do I do this?
Isn't it obvious? Magic :D

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
You just tap the "locate me" button at the bottom left of the screen twice. Once will find you, second time will show your direction

iMerlin

Silver
Sep 20, 2007
Algonquin, IL
I read in another thread somewhere that when using the compass app in the car, if you get the figure 8 message you are supposed to ignore it and continue driving. Apple claims it will straighten itself out after a while. Mine has been hit or miss. One day I took a trip and it was actually facing the way I was driving, the next couple of times I got the 45 degree thing you guys mentioned.
Not sure if it is magnetics, but I find it to be almost useless.

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
I think the point of the compass in "maps" was for walking.

The tomtom app, and infact all other turn by turn directional apps don't need a compass to show turn by turn. Those apps will replace "maps" for in car navigation

trnsilver

Zealot
Gold
Feb 2, 2008
Florida
You just tap the "locate me" button at the bottom left of the screen twice. Once will find you, second time will show your direction
The target-like button? Do this in maps or compass?

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
And when maps opens just tap it again to show the direction... just not when your in the car ;)

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
Wow, the whole point of the compass (for me) was to use it in the car along with maps so I could find out which way to go if I get lost. If the car interferes with that, it seems useless.

gotzaiPhone

Zealot
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
Tinley Park, IL
another one here for the compass being WORTHLESS in the car. I have to hold it against the side window for the compass to start working again... But I guess the compass was designed for people walking in SanFran and worried about getting lost...