maps: Find Businesses

itcdr

Dec 2, 2007
on maps.google.com they have an option called "Find businessses"

You can type in say "pizza hut" in one box and your address in another then get back a list of pizza huts in order of distance to your house

How can you do this on the maps program that is built-in to the iPhone?

cdinca

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
on maps.google.com they have an option called "Find businessses"

You can type in say "pizza hut" in one box and your address in another then get back a list of pizza huts in order of distance to your house

How can you do this on the maps program that is built-in to the iPhone?
type "pizza hut 95073"

itcdr

Dec 2, 2007
yes, that shows the pizza huts in that area code, but doesn't also plot your location and distance to each store

cdinca

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
yes, that shows the pizza huts in that area code, but doesn't also plot your location and distance to each store
that is very true.

I gues it depends on where you live, but if I see a map of my area, I know where I live. And if I see 5 pizza huts (I wish) represented by red dots, I know where they are also.

I have visited some cities where everything is shaped like a huge grid...like perfect squares...I would never know where I was on that map.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
You must like Pizza Huts a lot to go to every one you pass. :p

- John

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
When the iPhone finally get's the "My Location" feature, locating a resturant or businesss will be MUCH easier. In the meantime, the best suggestion I can give is to first pull up Maps and type in your location's address and search for it. Then type in the name of the businesss ( Pizza hut) and search, and it will locate everything in your addresses surrounding location, showing the "closest" one first.
I've done this looking for a burger joint here in the ATL and it worked fine for me. ( also, as a word of advice, ALWAYS call before attempting to locate.) My wife and I were looking for a Zaxby's, and google Maps listed it as only 2.5 miles from our apartment. We head there, we are on the right street and at the right intersection, but no Zaxby's. I call the location and they are actually located 40 minutes north of the address listed. Turns out, that the street address was correct, but the city and zip were wrong. Either Google or Zaxby's listed everything as ### Street address, ATLANTA, GA 30338. So the one I was looking for was at say 5312 14th st, but in Alpharetta, GA 30004.
This has happened 3 times now, so I always tap the listing for more info and then tap the number to call the location and confirm where they are located.

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch

Yes it can. On the iPhone while in maps, in the lower left is a button with an arrows pointing up and down, when you click that you can put your own location in and it will show the path to the pizza or visa versa.

This is a main reason in contacts to always put in addresses for this reason.

itcdr

Dec 2, 2007
Yes it can. On the iPhone while in maps, in the lower left is a button with an arrows pointing up and down, when you click that you can put your own location in and it will show the path to the pizza or visa versa.

This is a main reason in contacts to always put in addresses for this reason.
when clicking the button with up/down arrows I got 2 boxes (Start and End). I typed in my address in Start and "Pizza Hut" in End. I got "Driving directions could not be received". It seems to only work if I put a valid address in the End box. ideas?

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
when clicking the button with up/down arrows I got 2 boxes (Start and End). I typed in my address in Start and "Pizza Hut" in End. I got "Driving directions could not be received". It seems to only work if I put a valid address in the End box. ideas?
you have to select one of the Pizza Huts listed first.

Domin8stang

Bronze
Jun 25, 2007
you have to select one of the Pizza Huts listed first.
yep its like what was posted earlier, do a search first for your location, then immediately after pull down the search bar, and search pizza hut. it will then show the pizza huts in the area, and the highlihted one that will say "pizza hut" over the dot on the map is the one closest to the address you last put in. Thats how i use maps, and it works wonderfully.