Maps have become much more accurate!

Aug 2, 2007
Long Island N.Y.
On my 3g it would locate where i live 2 miles away, on the 3gs its got me 2 houses away (about 50 feet), thats a huge improvment in accuracy.
Also i noticed that when i double tap the lacate me button it keeps the map orientation into a "heading up" mode. cool

LuvKeane

Bronze
May 10, 2009
Broadway
must be the area or the phone because my google map sucks! My old Curve picked me up rather quickly. Yesterday, I was in a bus, and the bubble never turned to an arrow facing the direction of travel. It reloaded every like 30 seconds close to where I was.

Don't know if this has to do with the GPS in the phone or lack of... or all the rain in NY makes the phone depressed.

JimD

Bronze
Dec 15, 2007
New Market, MD. USA
Also i noticed that when i double tap the lacate me button it keeps the map orientation into a "heading up" mode. cool
This is HUGE for someone in an unfamiliar city (for example). You know exactly which way to walk to reach your destination - just by turning around and watching the map!

chazm

Contributor
Silver
May 1, 2008
I don't know why your 3G was so innaccurate, my 3g shows exactly where I am all the time

iwant22

May 27, 2009
Brantford, Ontario
Even though i don't have one yet. I was wondering, when driving with the GPS and you get a text or a call, i heard now that when you are done with the call it goes back to the GPS or last APP in use. Can anyone tell me if this is true?

It would help especially while using it to not have to redo the whole directions over again after the call or text. Cheers

Brian

Adam1389

Silver
Nov 20, 2008
Ilwaco, WA
If you get a phone call it does, if you get a text message, you go back to the home screen.

impaler

Silver
Apr 28, 2007
I agree entirely. My GPS is TONS more accurate, MUCH faster, on the iPhone 3G with 3.0 software.

LuvKeane

Bronze
May 10, 2009
Broadway
This is HUGE for someone in an unfamiliar city (for example). You know exactly which way to walk to reach your destination - just by turning around and watching the map!
You could always go old school with a compass! :laugh2:

trnsilver

Zealot
Gold
Feb 2, 2008
Florida
I am coming from the v1 with EDGE...and I know the 3G/3GS has GPS...but I'm really failing to see what the benefit of that is (so far without the turn-by-turn direction apps). Meaning, I opened my maps just like I always did...it located me (a bit more specifically but not by much) and when I typed in addresses for directions, it did the same as my other phone.

I am SURE that I am missing something...just not sure what it is...

LuvKeane

Bronze
May 10, 2009
Broadway
Must be my phone because mine doesn't. I will leave it running and it won't locate my exact location. Especially when I zoom in, it stills shows the blue circle around the bubble... and, it has me ON the GWBridge.

The only reason I blame the phone and not the service is because my BB Curve, on Edge, located me, especially with the google maps upgrade it has and actually followed my path. This one sucks.

Alexander

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2007
Atlanta
I am coming from the v1 with EDGE...and I know the 3G/3GS has GPS...but I'm really failing to see what the benefit of that is (so far without the turn-by-turn direction apps). Meaning, I opened my maps just like I always did...it located me (a bit more specifically but not by much) and when I typed in addresses for directions, it did the same as my other phone.

I am SURE that I am missing something...just not sure what it is...
When you enter a destination and it has you driving around the purple route, you can press the location button to keep the screen fixated on your car - so you know exactly when its time to turn. It actually is extremely useful - I've been using it on the 3G since it came out.

trnsilver

Zealot
Gold
Feb 2, 2008
Florida
When you enter a destination and it has you driving around the purple route, you can press the location button to keep the screen fixated on your car - so you know exactly when its time to turn. It actually is extremely useful - I've been using it on the 3G since it came out.
So after I have the turn-by-turn directions, while I'm driving, I hit the bottom left button and that should move with me?

JimD

Bronze
Dec 15, 2007
New Market, MD. USA
So after I have the turn-by-turn directions, while I'm driving, I hit the bottom left button and that should move with me?
It will not "move with you", but it will "move to where you are now" each time you hit that button. Too bad there's not a "locate me every n seconds" option.

During the day today, my iPhone was alternating between locating me precisely sometimes and not well at all (about a mile off) at others - when checked from the same place in my house. I don't know what to make of this - except maybe the GPS receiver is not as good as I thought (it can't see through the house materials either). I had previously wondered how it could do so when my DeLorme LT-40 cannot.

Alexander

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2007
Atlanta
It will not "move with you", but it will "move to where you are now" each time you hit that button. Too bad there's not a "locate me every n seconds" option.

During the day today, my iPhone was alternating between locating me precisely sometimes and not well at all (about a mile off) at others - when checked from the same place in my house. I don't know what to make of this - except maybe the GPS receiver is not as good as I thought (it can't see through the house materials either). I had previously wondered how it could do so when my DeLorme LT-40 cannot.
Tap it once and it will locate you now, but double tap it and it will remain blue and move with you. That's what makes it really useful.

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
It finds me in my frickin' living room! I knew it was roughly street-level accurate, but to find me in the exact room in my apartment that I'm sitting in...that was one of those "wow" moments.

hitnrun

Bronze
Jul 15, 2007
Northern California
I don't know why your 3G was so innaccurate, my 3g shows exactly where I am all the time
Mine is really good too. It shows me in the part of the house that I am in. I can follow myself as I walk through the house. Very accurate.

Get_Zwole

Bronze
Jun 20, 2009
Oklahoma City
Mine is really good too. It shows me in the part of the house that I am in. I can follow myself as I walk through the house. Very accurate.
wow its weird that some are that accurate and some are up to a mile off.