Maps Issue

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by cooter32, Oct 3, 2012.

1. cooter32

cooter32 New Member

I have been very happy with the new Maps but yesterday it just locked up during navigation. Screen froze and I had to kill the app and restart it and then it did it again and again.

2. Torinate

Torinate Member
    Bronze

yes. Maps is horrible. I understand. Had to do this as well. At least you found a correct address.

3. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

I've not witnessed it freeze up on both the iPad 3 or iPhone 4. It's been pretty solid for me apart from beta 1 when it was first released.

Did you cellular signal die so that maps stopped loading or did it literally just lock up?

4. nealh

nealh Contributor
    Silver

I know people are unhappy with Maps but I remember early GPS units and maps.
    Teleatlas is still not as accurate as Navteq maps in the US.

I have found in the Tampa area it seems to work well. GPS directions are well done with good alerts.

I hate to hear it fails in many places. Hopefully, they can get faster updates out. I would assume Teleatlas and Apple are working to fix inaccuracies.

For a starting point, I think it's good. All mapping program have issues.

5. Hawk

Hawk Genius
    Gold

I think that since everything is pulled down as you go, you'll find that maps will get better as the months go on.
    The day I got mine, I tried to map to the closest BestBuy so I could go get a case. It missed by about a half mile. The pin was way off.
    Then I tried to map back to my house. It was fine till I got to my neighborhood. The pin was in my back yard, so the maps app tried to route me to the neighborhood behind me because the street was closer to the pin- even though I was on my street.
    I came to the conclusion that the app maps to the pin coordinates, and not the street address. I sent this info to Apple via the feedback and when taking to customer service. A week later, everything I've mapped has gone to the street address. Must have been a simple fix or coincidence.

6. FuelieNova

FuelieNova Contributor
    Silver

IMO Maps has a long way to go. I have had several times this weekend when the route showed left and maps said go right. It has taken me on such a wild goose chase so many times I'm back to Navigon. I'm sure it will get straightened our and be nice.
    Tom

7. Torinate

Torinate Member
    Bronze

Months?

I really hope not! That would be an absolute disgrace if it is! I actually expected an update already...

Just looked again... Apparently I still live across the road down 5 houses.

I've kept track. I've submitted 38 errors already to Apple via the app. Not sure if anything has changed yet. My home hasn't.

I'm shocked they've only provided lip service and no follow through.

8. djwindsor

djwindsor Contributor
    Silver

I made a suggestion but not about errors. I told them they should have a night mode. I poked around but couldn't find one.

9. nealh

nealh Contributor
    Silver

Wow, you guys do not recall early GPS products. They all have kinks. Even today, Garminand TomTom standalone units mess up addresses, locations and routing.
    I am impressed at how good the routing was in my area. I realize performance can vary in locations. All nav apps are not perfect.

TomTom is notoriously bad with maps in the US. As I understand Apple is using Telatlas. Navteq IMHO is much better here. In Europe, TomTom is much better from what I have read and Navteq falls short.

The 2 mapping services need to combine their databases, but they will likely never happen. I believe Garmin owns Navteq and TomTom Teleatlas, so the competitors with not work together, I am sure.

I have no idea why you expect and update in 2 weeks. Nav apps are complex and will take sometime to fix, even for Apple. A little patience will be worthwhile.

Remember, google maps had turn-by-turn directions but was not provide by google. It's not like you had that before iOS6.
    Map app before was ok, but I never used it much since I bought Navigon for the turn-by-turn instructions.

10. FuelieNova

FuelieNova Contributor
    Silver

Well its not exactly like they are reinventing the wheel when it comes to gps. I don't think you can compare it to the early days of GPS as solutions for mapping software have become much more advanced.
    Yes they will get it fixed but just as MobileMe, they released the product before it was ready! I remember everyone said we shouldn't criticize MM.... well they listened and redeveloped a nice product in iCloud. If well never say anything nothing will get done. How about antenna gate? We complained and they responded..
    Just saying....
    Tom

11. Torinate

Torinate Member
    Bronze

I expect an update because of the sheer number of deficiencies in IOS 6. To name some more important issues; maps, wifi, iMessage, calendar and battery life (4S). When I look at that list, those are the exact things I completely rely on my phone for. So yes, an update on the absolute essential apps and bugs should have been out already. When I look at IOS 5, where all these things worked flawlessly, and the "upgrade" to IOS 6, where I cannot trust what my phone is doing, I'm disappointed.

Not to rant, but maybe I'm a heavier user than most. Maybe I have less tolerance for going backwards with things. Maybe I just expected more of what I had. I just want it to to work as well as it did on all facets. Now what I have, is less than before.

To sum it up, I'm not at all pleased there has not been a fix or update for these things.

I'm one that praises Apple everyday. I live I the heart of RIM territory and have made a few people change sides. I don't like eating crow when I praise all the goodness only to have problem after problem...

12. ednygma

ednygma Contributor
    Bronze

Maps will get better and the more feedback they get the better it will get. Google Maps was not great when it first came out either and it was the iPhone users that provided the most feedback to improve it. Then Google was so thankful for all the IOS users that they told Apple to go frack themselves and would not allow turn by turn to be on IOS devices even though their product improved to the depth it had due to IOS users and not Droid users.

Granted, I have not experienced any bad directions where I live yet. It has performed very well and I have been pleased. But I also can appreciate the complexities of developing a new mapping system and am willing to give it time to be fully developed. In the end, I have no doubt that it will be better.

13. Booyow1204

Booyow1204 Contributor
    Silver

I didn't know the reason Google was dropped cause they wouldn't give turn by turn. That explains it.....

14. Booyow1204

Booyow1204 Contributor
    Silver

I had no idea Google wouldn't give turn by turn directions. That explains a lot about why they were dropped.

15. ednygma

ednygma Contributor
    Bronze

16. Booyow1204

Booyow1204 Contributor
    Silver

The article does sound plausible to me too. Apple having Google since 2007 had to be something big to spark the separation.

17. FuelieNova

FuelieNova Contributor
    Silver

What do you think Steve Jobs would have said about the first release of turn by turn maps?
    Do you think he would say this is pretty good for a first try, this is very complex and pat the engineer on the back?
    Tom

18. n_stavr

n_stavr New Member

why they stop integrade google maps? nothing could be better

19. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Did you try a hard reset? Press the home and power buttons at the same time, ignore the slide to power off and let go when you see the Apple logo.
    The maps cache, so it still routes you and provides turn by turn directions when you lose your signal. It uses very little data, too. Pretty nice. Apple maps have worked great for me so far as well.

20. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

I was aware of the maps caching, which I thinks a great idea. I didn't know if it would still route you even under lose of signal, that's also a good feature.