Maps update a letdown...

Disasterpiece

Bronze
Sep 3, 2007
Danville, California
Im not very happy with the new update for maps. It didn't reall do much. I was looking forward to it actually finding my exact postion like most GPS's but it does a real general area. And some time is off, like it will be saying im down the street whe im at my house.
They are falling way behing as far a GPS on phones go..Where the Turn by turn voice guided? Many phones have that..:sick:

gibby71

Silver
Jan 8, 2008
in a galaxy far far away...
Im not very happy with the new update for maps. It didn't reall do much. I was looking forward to it actually finding my exact postion like most GPS's but it does a real general area. And some time is off, like it will be saying im down the street whe im at my house.
They are falling way behing as far a GPS on phones go..Where the Turn by turn voice guided? Many phones have that..:sick:
Its not using GPS, its using Wifi and Cell phone towers to locate you.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Correct. It isn't GPS - which using satellite positioning.

Also, the accuracy of the feature varies from person to person. Mine is right above my house.

Plus, I love the new interface an the Hybrid View option.

- John

gregneedham

Bronze
Jul 9, 2007
just yesterday I did a 200 mile ride up the Florida Keys and was amazed at the way the iPhone maps tracked my progress. Amazed.

I had the phone in my tank bag and would hit the location button every 30 miles or so and it tracked my right up US 1 from Key West to Key Largo and back.

It was far more accurate than I anticipated and I am very pleased with the functionality. I agree with the above poster, if you want GPS, then get a GPS phone. But as a step along the continuing updates to the iPhone, this far exceeds my expectations.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
I see by the number of posts you have that you haven't been on here very long and probably not a iPhone owner that long either. There was nothing to ever say that the iPhone would have anything more than what was announce at the macworld keynote speech (and before that by gearlive.com) or that there was any hardware in the phone to support actual GPS capabilities.
GPS is suspected to be one of the features of the next version of the iPhone, but like most cell companies, if you want turn by turn directions, it's a service that requires a monthly charge.
As far as what the new update did for the Maps app, it's night and day as far as what it did and what it can do now.

Disasterpiece

Bronze
Sep 3, 2007
Danville, California
I see by the number of posts you have that you haven't been on here very long and probably not a iPhone owner that long either. There was nothing to ever say that the iPhone would have anything more than what was announce at the macworld keynote speech (and before that by gearlive.com) or that there was any hardware in the phone to support actual GPS capabilities.
GPS is suspected to be one of the features of the next version of the iPhone, but like most cell companies, if you want turn by turn directions, it's a service that requires a monthly charge.
As far as what the new update did for the Maps app, it's night and day as far as what it did and what it can do now.
Who really cares how long ive been a member..Or how many posts i have?
Im just saying compared to other PHONES the maps feature sucks.
Yes i do have Nav in my car...

x666x

Bronze
Jan 24, 2008
I'd have to disagree, I used the iPhone as my sole source of navigation on a road trip to Az this passed Thanksgiving. I've been on a number of phones myself, including "Smart"phones, and while they do offer some key features that are sorely missed, they fail where it counts, getting you the most information possible in the shortest amount of time using an easy to use and streamlined interface.

I've got a Nav in the dash just in case I happened to get lost, but I didn't. Color me impressed.

bw2151

Bronze
Jun 25, 2007
Why did they go to an older map though? My steet was on the previous version and now it's unknown and not labeled....I can see it in the sat view though.

PhilipJohn

Bronze
Aug 24, 2007
Bronx, New York
I like the new update. It's far more than I expected as well. Show me any phone that can beat that!

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Sucks is a rather strong word. Obviously, you're the one who thinks that the update is unsatisfying. The rest of us like it.

- John

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
All I can say is that it's better than nothing. I wish it had GPS capabilities, but we all knew that it wouldn't back in May of last year.

JoeT

Silver
Dec 18, 2007
Tampa, FL
You have to keep in mind what this is intended for.

It is NOT intended to replace a GPS and give you 10 meter positional accuracy at all times. It is intended to give your general location so that you can locate products and services around you. So if you are at the movies and afterwards everyone wants pizza but you don't know where a local pizza place is, use the locator and then search for "Pizza". The locator is accurate enough for that use.

I could also see using this on a long road trip to get an idea of how far until your exit or where you might find gas, food, a hotel, an ATM, or some other service.

Now, to be sure, most GPS/Nav systems have these features as well - but you don't often carry one into a movie theater, or into your client's office (when suddenly you need to know if there's a nearby Kinkos), or anywhere else OUT of a vehicle.

JoeT

Silver
Dec 18, 2007
Tampa, FL
And by the way, for those who want to get their exact location as a starting point for searches or directions, try using the nearest intersection:

market ln & john st, fl

No, you don't need the city. If there is more than one result in a State, it will provide a list for you to choose from. Now, here's where the locator comes in: If you already have the map zoomed down to a city that matches one of the results, Google Maps will use that city as the sole search result. So use the locate feature, then plug in "5th ave & main st" and you're golden. VERY useful for businesss travelers.

coasts

Zealot
Gold
Jul 15, 2007
New York, NY
www.lomohomes.com
wow...living up to your namesake? that was a bit much. compared to other phones, the iPhone has a maps feature whereas so many others don't. just depends on what other phones you're looking at.

oh, you know what else sucks? the lack of copy & paste, mms & 3G. other phones have that and more. i wish i had a krzr instead of this p.o.s.

*waiting while the krzr kids come running to trade up, having missed the sarcasm*

jpm

Bronze
Aug 5, 2007
One thing I have noticed if you hit the locate button sometimes it will give you a pretty wide area. If you hit the locate button again 90% of the time it will zero in even better. At least for me it does.

jjvaldez

Gold
Jul 3, 2007
Salinas, Ca
this works reall good for me .... and if it is off by a street.. i use the drop pin and it is soo cool.... i really like it

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
My response to your original post was because if you had read about the new update, or just the iPhone capabilities in general, you would have known what to expect, and then you would not have made statements like these:
Im not very happy with the new update for maps. It didn't reall do much. I was looking forward to it actually finding my exact postion like most GPS's but it does a real general area. And some time is off, like it will be saying im down the street whe im at my house...
Again, it was never stated that the iPhone had any GPS capabilites - or even GPS hardware for that matter, so your dissappointment is actually generated by your lack of knowledge about the phone and the 1.1.3 update, and not by the update itself.
The iPhone has a maps feature that works through the internet. It can now use the phone's signal strength to determine the distance to the surrounding towers and give a general triangulation from that information and show it on the map. it's not GPS, but it's very useful - if you have a need for it.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
And by the way, for those who want to get their exact location as a starting point for searches or directions, try using the nearest intersection:

market ln & john st, fl

No, you don't need the city. If there is more than one result in a State, it will provide a list for you to choose from. Now, here's where the locator comes in: If you already have the map zoomed down to a city that matches one of the results, Google Maps will use that city as the sole search result. So use the locate feature, then plug in "5th ave & main st" and you're golden. VERY useful for businesss travelers.
Yep, and I used to do this before the locate feature was added (easy to stop and look at the nearest street signs). But with the update it's even better.

And as when you are on a major road or Interstate the accuracy is pretty good.

--
Mike

Disasterpiece

Bronze
Sep 3, 2007
Danville, California
My response to your original post was because if you had read about the new update, or just the iPhone capabilities in general, you would have known what to expect, and then you would not have made statements like these:

Again, it was never stated that the iPhone had any GPS capabilites - or even GPS hardware for that matter, so your dissappointment is actually generated by your lack of knowledge about the phone and the 1.1.3 update, and not by the update itself.
The iPhone has a maps feature that works through the internet. It can now use the phone's signal strength to determine the distance to the surrounding towers and give a general triangulation from that information and show it on the map. it's not GPS, but it's very useful - if you have a need for it.
I don't really care if they never said there will be GPS or not. Thats fine, they did not ever say that GPS will be on the iPhone. But don't they see that other phones are pulling away as far as GPS? don't get me wrong bro, i LOVE my iPhone and cant ever imagine going back to just a regular old phone. But i just think theres things the iPhone lacks, GPS, Video cam to just name a few. Just because i have a few complaints does not mean im hating on the phone or even hating on the update. I overall like the update, and definitely LOVE the phone. So just relax, i come on here to say the MAPS update let me down. Not to say THE iPhone SUCKKS BALLS. So just chill...:)