Mark all for deletion in mail app

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by silvermoon, Oct 27, 2014.

1. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

I get 15-20 emails per day and sorting through them can be time-consuming, but something I noticed is that there is no way for me to "Mark all" and move all the messages to the trash in my inbox. There is a similar thread on here from 2011 where a forum user was asking if there was a way to delete all messages and the feature was not available. Jumping ahead, we are on IOS 8 and there is still no way to move a bunch of messages from the inbox to the trash.

I haven't explored the possibility of using another app to manage my mail. I have several accounts (Outlook, Live, Exchange, Gmail) and Mail does make it easier with multiple accounts. Do you just mark one message at a time and delete it or have you found another solution?

2. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

All of my junk or spam get filterd via Gmail. The other email is email I want to reply to etc.

But yes there should be a delete all.

3. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

I have to mark each email on the inbox to send to trash. You can delete all in trash. You can swipe to the left and delete to trash quicker than tapping each dot. Swipe fast and the email zips away.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414719134.690434.jpg

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.

4. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Pie preorder? Do you need my address? I'd like to pie one of my teachers.

5. MacMan

MacMan New Member

I don't like that we have to choose between archive and delete for this. It would be nice if both options were this easily accessed.

6. MrMike6by9

MrMike6by9 Evangelist
    Gold

Are you using the (Apple) mail app, the Gmail app or in a browser? In a browser or the Gmail app, you can tap the check box for each message for which you wish to perform a bulk operation such as move to Trash.
    YMMV

7. MacMan

MacMan New Member

I am using the Apple mail app. In the advanced settings you can choose to delete messages or archive them. Whichever you choose is the action when the message is shipped to the left. There is not an option for both. If archive is the default the only way to delete is to long press the archive button on the bottom when in the message. This is all very lame to me. Why not have both easily accessible?!

8. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

The Lepow Pie. Think Mophie.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414874132.763206.jpg

9. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Archiving mail takes phone storage space. I have mine set on delete. If I have anything important, I drop it in the important folder. That's my archive. If it's secret stuff, you can go to Mail Contacts Calendars >Email account >Toggle OFF Notes, then drop the secret mail in the Notes Folder. Then toggle Notes back on in Settings. You won't see the Notes folder.