Mark under screen-small black squarish thing

kokogirl

Gold
Sep 8, 2007
Sunny Florida
Hello. I have been using my iPhone all day, no problems. Then I go to pull it out of the case and I see a small black mark in the upper right hand corner. I use my sleeve to wipe the screen, but it stays. It looks like it is under the glass but not quite on the screen. It is a very small black square (or circle) which is hollow. You can see the color under it, but it is quite annoying. It almost looks like a water bubble?

I tried to take a pic, but my crappy digital camera will not focus in that close. :mad:

I am wondering if anyone had this happen, and if it is repairable. Thanks. I am sad:(

kokogirl

Gold
Sep 8, 2007
Sunny Florida
Do you think it might be a dead pixel? If so Apple will replace it.
I do not know. I am not sure what a dead pixel looks like. I guess I should at least make an appointment at the genius bar. I have to go to the Apple store next weekend, anyway.

I may have a better camera at work that I can get a picture of it to post here. I will try that tomorrow.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
If you try taking a picture of it, don't try to get close to it, just use the highest resolution and then crop it when you get it into your PC.

kokogirl

Gold
Sep 8, 2007
Sunny Florida
If you try taking a picture of it, don't try to get close to it, just use the highest resolution and then crop it when you get it into your PC.
Ok. I will try that now. thanks.

I will do it tomorrow. My camera is a Kodac easy share and you have to dock it to connect to computer-no USB chord! I will use the camera from work tomorrow, unless the black thing disappears.

I guess another digital camera is one more thing to buy.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
A dead pixel is going to be a really really small little square. How many millimeters big do you think the mark is? It's really weird for it to be anything other than a dead pixel though because from everything you've said you take pretty good care of your phone so a user related issue seems almost out of the question.

seb481

Silver
Aug 3, 2007
San Diego
I have the same issue. It does look like a tiny water bubble under the screen. It's been here for a few weeks now. I am pretty sure Apple would replace my phone but I don't want to end up with a refurbished phone.

IphoneTony

Zealot
Gold
Nov 10, 2007
New Jersey
I think its the sensor that is used for when you put the phone to your ear that makes the screen go off during a call. I noticed it a few months ago and thought water was in there but its just the sensor. No need to worry

D P Bida

Jan 31, 2008
I think its the sensor that is used for when you put the phone to your ear that makes the screen go off during a call. I noticed it a few months ago and thought water was in there but its just the sensor. No need to worry
I would almost put MONEY on it this is what they are talking about. Especially the other guy who posted about the problem (not the original poster)... I noticed it for the first time a week or so ago. Thought it was a water mark, then the more I looked at it I finally realized it was the senor.

I'm basically 99% sure that what you're referring to, but a pic definitely would help me confirm this for you.

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
Can't be the sensor. I've looked all over my iPhone and can't see anything like you're describing. If you're gonna take a pic of it, use the macro feature on your camera. I would also go to a genius bar. I hope your problem is fixable!

themanofthedark

Gold
Jan 5, 2008
Boston
Can't be the sensor. I've looked all over my iPhone and can't see anything like you're describing. If you're gonna take a pic of it, use the macro feature on your camera. I would also go to a genius bar. I hope your problem is fixable!
above the earpiece, put iPhone under powerful lamp and look for a circle and a roundedge rectangle

that would be the light sensors.

kokogirl

Gold
Sep 8, 2007
Sunny Florida
does it change at all with the background?
and is it white at the base of the headphone jack?
If you look down upon it, it is hollow and you can see the color under it. It looks like a small black circle on any color.

If you take the phone and look from the top and try to see under the spot, it looks white.

It is hard to see on a black background, but I think it looks white.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
If you look down upon it, it is hollow and you can see the color under it. It looks like a small black circle on any color.

If you take the phone and look from the top and try to see under the spot, it looks white.

It is hard to see on a black background, but I think it looks white.
No offense, koko, but that's just about the worst description of the problem I could imagine! Read that again... there's so many contradicting and confusing statements in there it's almost funny.

Again, not trying to offend. It really did make me laugh! :p

From what I think you're saying... sounds like a dead pixel. Does it appear to "float" above the image, though?

kokogirl

Gold
Sep 8, 2007
Sunny Florida
No offense, koko, but that's just about the worst description of the problem I could imagine! Read that again... there's so many contradicting and confusing statements in there it's almost funny.

Again, not trying to offend. It really did make me laugh! :p

From what I think you're saying... sounds like a dead pixel. Does it appear to "float" above the image, though?
Yes, it appears to float above the image. (Like something is stuck between the glass and the screen).

I understand that I am being confusing. The circle is black, so it is hard to see on a black background, but it photographed as a white mark. Here is a really bad photo.

You just need to come here to see my iPhone in person and tell me! lol!

Last edited by a moderator:

kokogirl

Gold
Sep 8, 2007
Sunny Florida
Update and resolution

The black circle was a bubble in the glass and they replaced
my iPhone! I also picked a white MacBook, but I posted that in the MacBook area. Yeah for me!:)