Mark Your Calendars for September 10th iPhone Special Event!

Discussion in 'iPhone 5S' started by chris, Aug 11, 2013.

1. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

A report from All Things D, whom I trust, says that Apple will unveil the new iPhone(s) on September 10th at a special event.

It's been a long and quiet year. Finally, some real news and real new iOS devices.

Are you ready?

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  2. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold

Heck yes I'm ready! I held out on the 5 and am ready to upgrade my 4S. Bring it!

3. iPutz

iPutz Zealot
    Silver

I've had every iPhone since the 3G. But like many others have said, this time around I will wait to see what the new hardware and software bring in the way of features before making up my mind. The features of the new phone and software will need to be pretty impressive to get me to obligate myself for two years again or drop $600 plus on a non-subsidized phone, especially considering my current iPhone 5 is un-locked. Then again, I'm a gadget freak so who knows what I'll do once it is revealed to the public. I am, however ready to see what it will be and what it can do.

Sent using my iPhone 5

#3 iPutz, Aug 11, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2013
  4. Iloveiphones

Iloveiphones Genius
    Platinum

If anyone was Tim Cook and saw this, wouldn't you be like "Nope, I'm going to change it to the 15th to prove them wrong."

5. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Plenty goes into planning these events. I seriously doubt he's interested in proving the media wrong.

6. Smarty2600

Smarty2600 Member
    Bronze

I'm super psyched I'm going to be getting my first iPhone, I've owned numerous iPod touches. But I don't know if I should preorder or buy it a few weeks after the madness has settled.

Sent using iCafe app

7. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Why wait? Pre-order and be happy on launch day. History tells us that sell-outs happen.

8. patrickj

patrickj Genius
    Gold

I've switched away from the iPhone. First to a Galaxy Note 2 and now an HTC One Google Play Edition. I don't see myself going back.

The iPad is a different story. I will be all over their announcement event / events for new iPads.

9. Santa

Santa Evangelist
    Gold

If there really is an inexpensive new iPhone, it may become the new family phone to replace the various andriod variations we've got.

10. Smarty2600

Smarty2600 Member
    Bronze

I'm just not sure because can you adjust your cell carrier's plan? Because I currently have an unlimited data plan with Verizon but I will have to adjust it. Are you able to preorder through carriers or just Apple? Yes I do want the iPhone on launch day I just am unsure of the process of preordering.

But I guess thinking about it I could just change my cell plan before the iPhone preorder date.

Sent using iCafe app

#10 Smarty2600, Aug 11, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2013
  11. medenblik

medenblik Contributor
    Silver

I will be upgrading my IP5 just because I have the ability. I have 4 lines on my account and there is always one eligible for upgrade. So I get the new one and my wife will get my IP5.

My question is why put out a cheap IP as the 5 will drop in price and so will the 4S when the newest one comes out.

Sent using iCafe app

12. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Because it is cheaper to discontinue it and make a less expensive option. The iPhone 5c will also allow them to market it extensively as a 'new product' and it will be feature on the shelves of Apple Stores.

13. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

To get more people using Lightning connectors and so they can phase out products with 30-pin connectors sooner. Also, the 5 will be $99. If they do make this, it will be free with a two-year contract, just like the iPhone 4 is right now.

14. medenblik

medenblik Contributor
    Silver

Yeah I guess that is one way Apple can stop making the 30pin connectors.

Sent using iCafe app

15. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

I'm not sure it's going to be free. I think they price it at $99 (with contract). I'd bet the 5c is less to make than the existing iPhone 5.

16. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

So if it costs less to make and has lower quality casing than the existing iPhone 5, why would it be priced the same as the iPhone 5? That doesn't make much sense. I can't see any reason to make this product if it isn't free with contract or $49 (half the cost of the iPhone 5). Why would anyone pay $99 for a cheap, plastic iPhone with specs similar to a 4S or 5 when they could get a high quality 5 for the same price? Those colors would have to be pretty mesmerizing for that to happen. I think the whole point of this product is so they can stop making the 4S since it doesn't have Lightning.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  17. Muckcityjustin

Gold

I'd be really bummed if they're making the 5c to sell at a $149 or $199 just so they can bump up the price of the flagship models to $249. I mean I don't think that'd happen but I had a dream that's what they were doing.. More like a nightmare..

Sent using iCafe app

18. Sassytallsista

Sassytallsista Contributor
    Bronze

DITTO....I can't wait

Sent using iCafe app

19. iP5

iP5 Evangelist
    Gold

The point to the 5c like the CDMA iPhone is to go to China, India and in this case, maybe Africa. US availability is more about generating marketing hype.

I'm also guessing that US carrier subsidies are not equal across all phone classes despite requiring/needing data. The thinking is probably that a cost conscious consumer will have a smaller monthly spend or higher risk of breaking or failing the contract.

Also keep in mind that the famed Apple service is near absent internationally, making price to feature sensitivity the primary selling point.

Lastly, app quality is also very different in the international app stores and internationally side-loading/piracy is a huge plus.

Edit: forgot to mention as it's obvious to me, carrier subsidies do not exist in developing markets. Again making pricing very important.

Sent from my Nexus 4

#19 iP5, Aug 12, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2013
  20. iP5

iP5 Evangelist
    Gold

Just read that the 5 will be discontinued because the 5S screen is going to Sharp and the 5 screen by Samsung can't be continued at the lower volumes. Does that mean it's the 4S, 5C and 5S. If so and if the 5C is also a 3.5" screen then the previous release market that was waiting on the 4" 5 will have to shop elsewhere?

There was once a time when taking a mental survey at a mall easily demonstrated iPhone's dominance. A 4" iPhone exclusive to the 5S will definitely hurt that visibility.

Sent from my Nexus 4