Market for Matte Screens?

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
I wonder if resale on the previous generation MacBook Pro will increase on matte screens, since it's no longer being offered on the MacBook Pro. Wishful thinking? Perhaps, but I could see this happening. I did plenty of research before plunking down my hard earned cash on my MBP and people in the "matte" camp seriously do not like the glossy. For me, I could do with either. I don't work outside much, so glossy would suit me fine. I like the idea of a super fast graphics chip and love the iMac look of the glass. Even if I could get decent cash for my MacBook Pro, I'd still want to check out the trackpad before jumping. Seems the glass trackpad is very different from the current trackpad.

jsntrenkler

Zealot
Silver
Sep 22, 2008
Tucson Arizona
I am going to head down to my local Apple Store tomorrow Chris to check them out. I too have no problem with the Glossy screen, in fact I love what it does with blacks and colors. I think the iTeam was correct when they said you can control a lot of the glare issues with the brightness controls. I do this now with my iMac, on a sunny day I back off the brightness and get far less glare. As far as the Matte Screens holding a higher resale value, I think you are right on with that assumption. Those who love Matte Screens will pay a premium to get a small speed bump and maintain that tech. However I do have to wonder if we will see large versions of our anti glare screen protectors soon appear for the Apple macbook family. It would make sense to do something like that.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
Apple is still selling 17" MBPs (the old version) with matte screens... so depending on how long that lasts, maybe not.

gary88

Bronze
Sep 11, 2007
Chicago, IL
As a photographer, I really appreciate the matte screen because it is much truer to colors than a glossy screen. Makes post-processing and printing a whole lot easier. I'm really surprised Apple isn't offering this anymore, and I'm really glad I bought my 15" MBP last month while I could still get one with a matte screen :cool:

Tru-dat Gary. I don't have a MBP, but I'm looking into getting one and was bummed when I heard they didn't have the matte screen anymore. All the photog forums buzz with praise regarding the matte screens.
There was a guy locally on CL selling a 17" (I don't know what finish the screen is) MBP 2.5 Dual COre/ 4g ram for $1000. Is that a good price? I need to find the market prices of these things...

Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
I am sorry but how do you know the difference between a glossy and a matte screen? I have a three months old MacBook Pro and I don't know which screen it has LOL.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
if it's glossy, it's shiny. If it's matte, it's not.

Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
Is there like anything written on the back of the MBP or any info. from inside that tells you which one you got?

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
no, i don't believe so... it should be pretty evident...

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
As a photographer, I really appreciate the matte screen because it is much truer to colors than a glossy screen. Makes post-processing and printing a whole lot easier.
Exactly why I got the matte screen. I have only had my MBP about 8 months. Glad I got it before the switch.

Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
Guys, come on, I really want to know if mine's a matte or a glossy. I don't think I might even realize the difference even if both are in front of me lol. I am pretty sure there has to be any information written that determines which one you have.

Leo

Zealot
Silver
Nov 9, 2008
Calgary, AB
It's extremely evident. The Macbook on the left has a glossy screen, and the Macbook on the right has a matte screen.

Last edited by a moderator: