Massive 'Other' in iPhone 5's memory

Discussion in 'iOS Software' started by Rootntootn, Oct 26, 2013.

1. Rootntootn

Rootntootn Member
    Bronze

64 Gb, iOS 7.0.3. Phone works ok but like to get some memory back.
    I tried a restore to factory and the restored from iTunes back--> no help.
    Only way to do this is to reset to factory then restore from iCloud backup? I'm a little afraid and want to know if this will give me a bunch of space back. Apple tech couldn't guide me; only said they'd never seen an 'other' this big!
    Got about 160 apps, not that many audio cuts (2k+), 709 photos, some video but only 1.5 Gb. Use Dropbox so doc files are there. My phone's iCloud backup is only 3.7Gb, so ... gulp ,,, am gonna have to completely rebuild this phone?

Sent using iCafe app

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Do you have a lot of text messages, pictures and videos in your messaging app? That can account for several GB of space in the other section. Otherwise, restoring to factory settings will bring the other section back down to where it should be. If it's not texts, it might be corrupt data. How big is the other section?

3. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

I have stuff in my other as well and it annoys me. I'm not near my computer so I cannot see how much, but I do know some of it is past contacts that I have now removed.

4. Caliphone

Caliphone Member
    Bronze

Check this:
    Settings, General, Usage.
    How much space is listed for e-mail?
    If it's a lot, delete the e-mail account(s) entirely, then re-setup the account(s).
    I had well over one gig of space taken by old, DELETED, e-mail messages. This is the only way I've found to clear it.
    Don't forget to save anything important before you delete, if it's not on a server somewhere.
    Good luck, the "other" thing bugs me too!

Sent using iCafe app

5. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

Especially if you use a Gmail account. Ever looked at the All Mail tab? I found ancient deleted, so I thought, emails in that area and of course all the saved mail. But it was all the mail I know I deleted being in there that was strange.

6. Rootntootn

Rootntootn Member
    Bronze

Hi, Europa and all of you who replied!

Wow, duh, I was tired and frustrated when I posted and didn't say how much 'other' has been there. It was 24 GB. No kidding; I talked with Apple tech twice, refreshed, backed up several times, rechecked, and Usage on audio was about 4 GB, photos and videos about 4.3, email around 250 MB, rest less, and I had this huge 'other'.

Now I check after just syncing in itunes--> other has shrunk to about 2+ GB, which seems pretty typical. But my audio (blue stripe in iTunes) is 22.9 GB. This makes sense, my 2500+ 'songs' are, many of them, symphonies, or very long recordings of operas.

So, now I've verified that there isn't a significant amount of corrupted data on my phone. Other ain't gonna kill me or my baby iPhone.

Thanks for hearing me out and replying. I don't know why the golden yellow 'other' stripe was so big before, but ... don't mess with solution!

Bye!

Sent using iCafe app

7. flatbacks21

flatbacks21 Member
    Bronze

I had 6 gb of "other" on my 16 gb iPhone and just did a factory reset and it brought it back down to 500mb.. Not sure what that was, but it had to go! You can clear some of your text messages, but it may need more than that.. Good luck..

Sent using iCafe app