Matte Replacement Housing?

breakfast

Jul 20, 2009
Hi, I've tried searching on these forums and google, but the only information I found was about the rumored matte housing for the 3GS.

Does anyone know or recommend a matte replacement housing for the 3G/3GS? I don't really care what color, preferably white or black. I'm in the US if it matters.

For everyone who says "it's a lot of effort for not big difference" or something along those lines. I appreciate your input. Thank you. You have informed me of the pros/cons of replacing the housing. Now do you have any information pertaining to the question I asked?

Thanks to everyone else.

Saurabh

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
VA
id be interested in that too. However i don't think theirs one avalible. However i do have the INCASE Softtouch silder which is a matt case that is very slim, and it runs you about 30 dollars. That would be the worst come sinario however i think its a good move.

breakfast

Jul 20, 2009
I've seen the ones in multiple colors and with metallic finishes, and even ones that at least look like OEM, but nothing matte.

breakfast

Jul 20, 2009
id be interested in that too. However i don't think theirs one avalible. However i do have the INCASE Softtouch silder which is a matt case that is very slim, and it runs you about 30 dollars. That would be the worst come sinario however i think its a good move.
I've looked into cases and that looked like a good one. If I got a case, I'd probably get the one where it just applies pressure to the corners and barely hangs on. I don't need a case, as I never drop my phones (good habit I guess, probably fear though), but scratches are a huge problem as my phone is usually on a desk rather than in my pocket.

breakfast

Jul 20, 2009
Its not a housing but you could try this

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Case-Mate-iph...mZ390063490960QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

Don't know if that is any good to you.
This looks VERY promising. I'll probably trash the screen cover, since I don't see a listing for just the back. I hope it's not a piece of tape that isn't perfectly tapered for the phone. The reviews from CASE-MATE are fair, with most people complaining about the no protection if you drop the phone. No one really mention scratching.

The video looks promising. It's exactly what I would get if the invisishield back covering weren't only $19 (CASE-MATE's is $28, invisishield via eBay is $16+$1.73)

RossMc

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2009
Newcastle, UK
Yeah i had one on my 3G for a couple of weeks and it is good does what it is ment to do doesn't really feel cheap and adds hardly any bulk to the phone.

breakfast

Jul 20, 2009
Ok, I've decided. I'll get the Zagg Invisishield back and keep an eye out for a "barely there" variant.

Saurabh

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
VA
don't get the invisible shield. Get the bestskinever, its much cheaper! Iv used it multiple times on all my previous iPhones. I recommend it too all my friends. Plus if you mess up they will send you a brand new skin complemetry. Good BESTSKINSEVER. Personally i think they are a bit rubbery. But the reasn why they are cheap compared to ZAGG and the Bodyskins is because it doesn't come with the solution and squeegy. You have to make your own solution with some baby soap and use a creditcard. Persoanlly i use the bestskinsever however if you find something you like go for it.

breakfast

Jul 20, 2009
don't get the invisible shield. Get the bestskinever, its much cheaper! Iv used it multiple times on all my previous iPhones. I recommend it too all my friends. Plus if you mess up they will send you a brand new skin complemetry. Good BESTSKINSEVER. Personally i think they are a bit rubbery. But the reasn why they are cheap compared to ZAGG and the Bodyskins is because it doesn't come with the solution and squeegy. You have to make your own solution with some baby soap and use a creditcard. Persoanlly i use the bestskinsever however if you find something you like go for it.
Good call. I'm going with the Best Skin Ever. I'll try to DIY using their template since I can't find one online.

mike546

Jul 3, 2009
I put this BLACK AIR JACKET on the back of my phone and it fits and looks great. It's a black matt finish and you don't even know its there, just clips right on. The screen protectors are held on by static and there is no wetting or mess and if it's not on straight just pull it off and reposition it. I bought it at the Apple store, trust me it's just what your looking for.

Saurabh

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
VA
What do u mean DIY there template? I am sure you can order the skin from them, make sure you specify which back you want, 2 piece, 1 piece or simple back. Are you saying you want to cut your own film to make it look like the BSE?

Also what i would recommend, is get those Apple screen protectors, anti-glare or whatever, and use the bestskinever for the back of the phone, and just use the antiglare for the front. IT will feel much smoother like the original screen. You will see what i mean when you get the BSE in the mail.

breakfast

Jul 20, 2009
What do u mean DIY there template? I am sure you can order the skin from them, make sure you specify which back you want, 2 piece, 1 piece or simple back. Are you saying you want to cut your own film to make it look like the BSE?

Also what i would recommend, is get those Apple screen protectors, anti-glare or whatever, and use the bestskinever for the back of the phone, and just use the antiglare for the front. IT will feel much smoother like the original screen. You will see what i mean when you get the BSE in the mail.
I'd rather have a cloth feel to the back of the phone. I might even apply the tape directly to the film, but I'm not sure how that would work out once the film is put on and the tape is stretched.

I had an iPod Touch and am confident in the tempered glass. No screen protector for me!