Maybe consolodate some of the forum categories?

jimmyrules712

Bronze
Sep 21, 2007
There are 39 separate forum categories right now and I'm just wondering if anyone has thought about consolodating some of the less used ones that overlap a bit.

For example, the iPhone accessories, cases, and 3G cases could probably be all together without very much chaos.

I'm not sure if the Bluetooth and Wifi categories serve a purpose, most of the time when someone has bluetooth or wifi question they just post it in the general iPhone category.

There 11 different software categories (including the ones near the bottom about PC, Mac, and iTunes). I would think some of those could be combined.

Since now phone plans vary based on which iPhone you have, many cell phone plan questions are being posted in the iPhone or 3G iPhone category, making the AT&T and O2 sections somewhat useless.

Then there's all those Apple hardware categories, which it doens't look like many people are using. Since this forum's focus isn't really on Apple computers and those sections aren't being much used, why are they all needed?

Anyway, I'm sure not many people will agree with all of the htings I listed above, but I think many will agree that there are too many categories and they make it a little confusing to figure out where something should be posted, which increases the chances that it won't be posted in the correct place. So I think the forum should be simplified a tad.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
I think just about every forum is used more than you think except for the iPod forums down at the bottom, which could be combined. Other than that, I think the current layout works pretty well.

Oct 4, 2007
San Francisco
I think many will agree that there are too many categories and they make it a little confusing to figure out where something should be posted, which increases the chances that it won't be posted in the correct place. So I think the forum should be simplified a tad.
I don't think its confusing because each category clearly lists the name of the category and gives a brief description of what is to be discussed in that specific category.

Example:
iPhone 3G (415 Viewing)
Discuss the Apple iPhone 3G.

People need to learn how to read if they do not know where to post in the correct place.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I agree that it's too many. But I never navigate that way... it's usually "new posts" or by subscription.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
If people were to actually look where they post before posting then I think there aren't too many sub-forums. However, a majority of people don't look to see which other forums that are offered and usually clump all of the postings together in General or iPhone instead of iTunes for instance.

jimmyrules712

Bronze
Sep 21, 2007
I don't think its confusing because each category clearly lists the name of the category and gives a brief description of what is to be discussed in that specific category.

Example:
iPhone 3G (415 Viewing)
Discuss the Apple iPhone 3G.

People need to learn how to read if they do not know where to post in the correct place.
well yeah you quoted one of the ones that doesn't need to change.

But what bout:
WiFi (74 Viewing)
For iPhone and iPod Touch WiFi discussion.

if your 3G iPhone's wifi is not working are you really going to post it there, or are you oging to post it in the 3G hardware section. Same with the AT&T section. There's been a lot of posts in the 3G iPhone section asking about AT&T, the majority of the AT&T questiosn aren't even being asked in this section so it may not be helping anything by being there. Better to at least have all of those questions in 1 spot.

That is one example, there are more.

I didn't even notice this 'off-topic' section was here until I started looking for a good place to post this suggestion thread.

The Mac hardware could definitely all be merged into 1 section probably. Look at the number of threads in those sections compared to the other busier sections, but I'm honestly wondering why we even have a big section for Macs. The Ipod, iPhone, Touch, etc. are all multi-platform devices, they aren't specialized for PCs or for Macs. So the way I see it, if we are going to have a big section for Macs then we should have a big section for PCs. But I really don't think we should have either, that is outside the scope of this forum.

Last edited by a moderator:

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
well yeah you quoted one of the ones that doesn't need to change.

But what bout:
WiFi (74 Viewing)
For iPhone and iPod Touch WiFi discussion.

if your 3G iPhone's wifi is not working are you really going to post it there, or are you oging to post it in the 3G hardware section. Same with the AT&T section. There's been a lot of posts in the 3G iPhone section asking about AT&T, the majority of the AT&T questiosn aren't even being asked in this section so it may not be helping anything by being there. Better to at least have all of those questions in 1 spot.

That is one example, there are more.

I didn't even notice this 'off-topic' section was here until I started looking for a good place to post this suggestion thread.

The Mac hardware could definitely all be merged into 1 section probably. Look at the number of threads in those sections compared to the other busier sections, but I'm honestly wondering why we even have a big section for Macs. The Ipod, iPhone, Touch, etc. are all multi-platform devices, they aren't specialized for PCs or for Macs. So the way I see it, if we are going to have a big section for Macs then we should have a big section for PCs. But I really don't think we should have either, that is outside the scope of this forum.
You basically covered the issue with your response. You didn't know about an Off Topic section because you hadn't looked for it before. If people would actually search around before posting then they would realize there is a Wifi area or an area to asking about syncing with a new Mac. However, people just don't feel like searching and we're not going to change that anytime soon. Fortunately the moderators and Chris are able to move around much of the incorrectly posted threads to the proper Sub Forums before long.

Oct 4, 2007
San Francisco
Like Youngbinks said people should search around before they post. They should take the time to look at the categories.

if your 3G iPhone's wifi is not working are you really going to post it there, or are you going to post it in the 3G hardware section.
if I personally had a wifi issue i would post it in the wifi section because that's where it should be.

jimmyrules712

Bronze
Sep 21, 2007
we can talk all day about what people should do, but the organization of the forum is ultimately what will have the greatest effect on people's actions.

I argue that there is no reason for the forum to have so many categories that a person should have to "search" through them to figure out where something goes.

it definitely, definitely, could be better. If you honestly disagree then I would guess it's because you've been here long enough that you've gotten used to it. Try to get the perspective of someone new.

I would think iPhone users, of all people, would appreciate the beauty of simplicity and ease of use.

of course you guys will likely use the correct sections, you're vetern forum members, if you weren't you would be involved in this discussion.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
There is a balance within every forum regarding number of posts and number of forum divisions. There are many topics to discuss about the iPhone, for sure. But I have to say, I would miss most discussions if it weren't for the "new posts" button and my frequent visits to the site.

There are too many sections.

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
There is a balance within every forum regarding number of posts and number of forum divisions. There are many topics to discuss about the iPhone, for sure. But I have to say, I would miss most discussions if it weren't for the "new posts" button and my frequent visits to the site.

There are too many sections.
Yep, me too. For the longest time I cruised through the topics. Now the new posts button is what I use 99% of the time.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
If you don't want to see a section of forums, just click this button.

It results in this.

iCafe

Dec 11, 2007
www.wwtdd.com
There are 39 separate forum categories right now and I'm just wondering if anyone has thought about consolodating some of the less used ones that overlap a bit.

For example, the iPhone accessories, cases, and 3G cases could probably be all together without very much chaos.

I'm not sure if the Bluetooth and Wifi categories serve a purpose, most of the time when someone has bluetooth or wifi question they just post it in the general iPhone category.

There 11 different software categories (including the ones near the bottom about PC, Mac, and iTunes). I would think some of those could be combined.

Since now phone plans vary based on which iPhone you have, many cell phone plan questions are being posted in the iPhone or 3G iPhone category, making the AT&T and O2 sections somewhat useless.

Then there's all those Apple hardware categories, which it doens't look like many people are using. Since this forum's focus isn't really on Apple computers and those sections aren't being much used, why are they all needed?

Anyway, I'm sure not many people will agree with all of the htings I listed above, but I think many will agree that there are too many categories and they make it a little confusing to figure out where something should be posted, which increases the chances that it won't be posted in the correct place. So I think the forum should be simplified a tad.
bla bla bla
listen here buddy,
the last thing i need after a hangover is to come on my site
and see some guy telling me how to run my forum
you don't like it make your own website
perhaps you can call it everythingjimmyrules712.com
yeah that has a nice ring to it
kids these days

jimmyrules712

Bronze
Sep 21, 2007
ironic how you complain about 'kids these days' while making the most childish response in the thread.

and if you were joking, why make such a pointless response to a genuine attempt of improvement.

Alexander

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2007
Atlanta
ironic how you complain about 'kids these days' while making the most childish response in the thread.

and if you were joking, why make such a pointless response to a genuine attempt of improvement.
I'd like to introduce you to iCafe.

H

Hayesimus

I think they are fine the way they are. Even if there were fewer categories, people would still make the same mistakes when it comes to proper post location. It is simply because they either don't know or don't care. If they don't know, then they will be educated very quickly. If they don't care, then it would not matter anyway.