Mayweather's Knockout of Ortiz - What Do You Think?

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Mayweather admits it was a bit of a 'dirty shot' but I don't think Ortiz has too much to complain about. If you try a blatant, intentional headbutt like he did, you can't turn around and cry about getting hit on the break.

What do you all think?

Oh, there's some NSFW langauge at the end of the clip.

(L)

Contributor
Bronze
Nov 7, 2010
Arizona
That was a cheap shot. The fight should have continued

Aug 31, 2010
What a surprise, your superiority complex is acting up again.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
No, it's my inferiority complex that's in remission.

Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
I don't think Ortiz headbutted him on purpose. He was so caught up in the moment that it was sort of a reflex from his body.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
I don't think Ortiz headbutted him on purpose. He was so caught up in the moment that it was sort of a reflex from his body.
No way at all that's right. Look at the video. He rears his head back big time. Also, if it was an accident why the long, repeated apologies? He kept trying to hug Mayweather and say sorry more times. I think Mayweather was probably already telling him how much sorrier he was going to be.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
The contest was not suspended at all. The referee had said 'Time in' to let the fighters know the round was restarted, the fighters touched gloves, and *then* Mayweather threw two punches while Ortiz was daydreaming.

Mayweather has been a superb champion for a long, long time. He has zero rep for being a dirty fighter in the ring. I think the moral of the story is if you're going to deliver a savage, intentional headbutt to a champ like Mayweather, you probably want to pay attention for the entire three minutes of the round.

Last edited by a moderator:

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
The contest was not suspended at all. The referee had said 'Time in' to let the fighters know the round was restarted, the fighters touched gloves, and *then* Mayweather threw two punches while Ortiz was daydreaming.

Mayweather has been a superb champion for a long, long time. He has zero rep for being a dirty fighter in the ring. I think the moral of the story is if you're going to deliver a savage, intentional headbutt to a champ like Mayweather, you probably want to pay attention for the entire three minutes of the round.
yeah, i admittedly didn't actually watch the video, hence the deleted post. It had sounded blatantly illegal based on the other comments i had read.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
yeah, i admittedly didn't actually watch the video, hence the deleted post. It had sounded blatantly illegal based on the other comments i had read.
Right. It was a (very) controversial ending for sure, but Mayweather's knockout blows were absolutely legal.

Anyway, I know boxing isn't everybody's cup of tea, but I think it's great to watch when there are exceptionally skilled fighters like Mayweather in the ring.

Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
It was funny that Ortiz sort of looked at the sky and his hands were down after Mayweather landed the first punch; I believe the second one wasn't even necessary, he was already out. lol