MB Air or Pro for college?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by jfleming01, Apr 30, 2013.

1. jfleming01

jfleming01 Member
    Bronze

Daughter is heading off to school in the Fall. She's worked hard, so she's getting a Mac Book. She'll likely major in English so I don't think she'll need things like video editing etc. Kind of leaning towards the Pro, because I think there is a possibility she'll need a disc drive. Any thoughts?

2. IllusionEntity

IllusionEntity Evangelist
    Gold

I would say the pro just for the (just in case) aspect of the disk drive. Plus the pro is just as portable and much more powerful with more memory.

3. Jennifer Chesney

Jennifer Chesney New Member

If she definitely needs the disc drive then go with the Pro. If you aren't sure if she will need it why don't you go with the Air and you can always purchase and external drive which can be plugged in the USB port. To me, the choice basically comes down to the size and speed of your hard drive. The air is small and fast, while the pro is slow but large.

4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

The MBP is slow?

5. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

I'd recommend a 13" Air. It'll be much easier to haul around campus, set up on those little lecture desks, in coffee shops, libraries, etc.

If you are worried about the disc drive, you can get an external one to keep in the dorm/apartment whenever the need arises.

6. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

The disc drive appears to be the main deciding factor here.

You can always get the Air and use a USB Super Drive but that may be incontinent.

I have a friend who's son is heading off to college and he had this exact same question. He decided to go with the Pro.

Either way I'd wait a month or so to buy as the new Macbook Pro and Air lines are rumored to be announced in June..

7. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

I've had my MacBook Pro for almost 3 years now and no problems. My sister has had hers for longer and loves it.

The only downfall that I've had is if I want to print a document at my library that I wrote on the Mac, I have to export it as a word document in order for it to open in the library.

Sent using iCafe app

8. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

I have an Air, and I have a USB Super Drive, and I've had no problems with incontinence.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  9. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

That Depends. (y)

10. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

I see what you did there.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. Jennifer Chesney

Jennifer Chesney New Member

i believe and have heard through friends who use the MBP is slower than the MBA

12. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Of course, it depends on which MBA and which MBP you have. A brand-new MBA might be quicker than an aging MBP. Also, if you're comparing an all-flash-storage-equipped MBA against an all-disk-storage-equipped-MBP, then the MBA is definitely gonna make disk-intensive operations feel quicker... Like installing big software programs, or powering up/down, or copying huge (10-gigabyte+) files.

I don't know the specs off hand, but any MBP from any given model year is faster overall then an MBA from the same model year, and more than likely also faster than an MBA from one to two years later. The newer MBPs come with all-flash storage, so the disk access speed issue becomes moot.

13. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

If you are comparing an old MBP to a new MBA, that may be so, but the newest MBPs are not slower than the new MBAs. The specs vary, so it depends on how much you want to spend. You can get them with an SSD, which is going to make it pretty fast.