MBA Virgin

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Vel Ford, Dec 12, 2012.

1. Vel Ford

Vel Ford New Member

I an getting 1 for xmas the 13" duhhh

I want to know is what are your pros vs cons on the device?

What external components would i need ex. A hard drive ?

2. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

If you rip and/or burn DVD's, CD's, then you'll need an external CD/DVD drive. They sell one for the MBA, but I think you can use third party if you happen to have one. They run about $80.

3. John Tierney

John Tierney Heretic
    Bronze

external HD is a must IMO. I store all my iTunes and photos on one.

4. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

My wife completely maxed out her storage on her 11" MBA. I can hardly get her to connect external storage for backups, so she'd never go for storing her music, photos on a separate drive. I've been using Clean My Mac to remove unnecessary files and apps. Once you get close to the top end of your hard drive storage, I find it to be a constant battle, one that I never win. At some point, I might transition her to my MBA -- it's got a 256GB drive in it. My MBA is lean and mean -- nothing but OS, apps and that's about it.

5. John Tierney

John Tierney Heretic
    Bronze

Love the Clean My Mac app, prob the best$15 I've spent. I kow what you mean about getting the wife to use exHD,
    the one I'm using for my MBA was hers. She never uses it so its mine now.;) BTW love the podcasts.

6. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Sounds like wireless, automatic backups would be the way to go in her case. Really, it's the best way to backup any MacBook. It might be slower, but that doesn't matter for incremental backups, and it's more reliable than trying to remember to back up regularly. Only the extremely dedicated will bother plugging in a Time Machine drive to a laptop every day.

7. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

I signed up for Crashplan during their crazy BlackFriday deal. Was able to get their family plan for $3 for the year. Haven't set up backups yet. Not doing my job as CTO of my household.

8. John Tierney

John Tierney Heretic
    Bronze

back to OP.
    1. disc drive if you need one, most don't these days.
    2. external HDD. I have 128gig storage on my MBA but like to keep that storage for things i use everyday.
    3. Clean My Mac app, well worth the $15. being a MBA noob its saved me lots of space.
    4. I got a decent case for my MBA, im a bit anal about my stuff.
    5. If you like Media, VLC and HandBrake are key.
    As far as Cons, I'm not finding any yet on mine. if i were to dislike something it would be the minimize maximize and exit buttons are way to small.
    good luck and have fun.

9. Ohmster

Ohmster Member
    Silver

$3 for year?! Nice. We paid the regular rate. It's not a bad backup set-up. I currently have 3 machines using it on the family plan.