MBP Power button

smknSRT8

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
This happened a while ago, but my power button on my mac is slanted inward a little bit. Is there a way to fix that by unsrewing things. With this, i do not want to void the warranty. **not sure if Apple can tell if you have opened your macbook.
Any thoughts?

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
I personally would not do this. Take it to the Apple Store and let them fix it. You stated you don't want to void the warranty, so it is quite probable that it will be fixed for free.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
^^^what he said. you've got a warranty, so you might as well use it.

it's not a simple operation. you have to unscrew about 15-20 screws (some of which require torx screwdrivers), and then pry-off the casing surface with the keyboard on it... then disconnect the keyboard from the motherboard so you can get at the power switch easily... even then, i don't think it will be easy to get at... probably has a switch or wires attached.

if you are an intrepid individual, here are some instructions that will help you get the case open at least.

smknSRT8

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
^^^what he said. you've got a warranty, so you might as well use it.

it's not a simple operation. you have to unscrew about 15-20 screws (some of which require torx screwdrivers), and then pry-off the casing surface with the keyboard on it... then disconnect the keyboard from the motherboard so you can get at the power switch easily... even then, i don't think it will be easy to get at... probably has a switch or wires attached.

if you are an intrepid individual, here are some instructions that will help you get the case open at least.
This is one of those things that I would like to see how it works but I would not want anything to go wrong or do something then have Apple say they can't me because they can tell that I took apart the laptop.

Thanks for the advice, I am going to read the article you linked, but not try it. I am going to take it to the Apple store as soon as I get a chance. 45 minutes is too far just for that.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
well, there isn't anything that will tip Apple off to the possibility of the case being opened... no seals or stickers to be broken, so it's fairly safe in that sense. I took mine apart the other day to replace the hard drive, and it wasn't THAT big of a deal, but i'm used to taking computers apart. I wish i could remember how the switch looked inside, but i don't... it didn't have anything to do with what i was doing at the time.