Media Max Unlimited Data Plan for iPhone - Only plan available

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Jeff

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
According to our Tipster Jason (thanks a lot!), an AT&T representative from the North Shore Boston area said that the only iPhone data plan available would be the Media Max Unlimited Plan, which goes for $39.99. The Media plan gives you unlimited instant messaging for you iPhone but also gives the user unlimited access to Media Net and AT&T Video. Here's how AT&T describes Media Net:

Media Net gives you access to all the cool things you can do with your wireless phone: email, Web sites, games, and more. It is wireless Internet access for your wireless device.
  • Mail & Messaging: Check your Yahoo! Mail, MSN Hotmail and chat with friends with Yahoo! Messenger and Upoc.
  • Sports: Get the latest scores from CBS SportsLine and ESPN.
  • Ringtones, Games, and Graphics: Personalize your phone by downloading your favorites.
  • News & Finance: Stay informed with round-the-clock headlines from CNN.
  • Entertainment: Get local movie times and reviews, dining recommendations, and more.
  • Weather & Travel: Check your forecast from The Weather Channel, get flight times, and traffic reports.
It is already assumed that you should be able to subscribe to the calling plan of your choice. The cheapest AT&T calling plan right now goes for $39.99. An internal AT&T memo also revealed last week that iPhone lovers can subscribe to FamilyTalk plans.
If you make the count, you are at $80 before the fees and taxes. Expensive? Of course, but that was expected. After all, it's the iPhone!

http://www.iPhonefreak.com/

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
According to our Tipster Jason (thanks a lot!), an AT&T representative from the North Shore Boston area said that the only iPhone data plan available would be the Media Max Unlimited Plan, which goes for $39.99. The Media plan gives you unlimited instant messaging for you iPhone but also gives the user unlimited access to Media Net and AT&T Video. Here's how AT&T describes Media Net:

Media Net gives you access to all the cool things you can do with your wireless phone: email, Web sites, games, and more. It is wireless Internet access for your wireless device.
  • Mail & Messaging: Check your Yahoo! Mail, MSN Hotmail and chat with friends with Yahoo! Messenger and Upoc.
  • Ringtones, Games, and Graphics: Personalize your phone by downloading your favorites.
  • Entertainment: Get local movie times and reviews, dining recommendations, and more.
  • Weather & Travel: Check your forecast from The Weather Channel, get flight times, and traffic reports.
It is already assumed that you should be able to subscribe to the calling plan of your choice. The cheapest AT&T calling plan right now goes for $39.99. An internal AT&T memo also revealed last week that iPhone lovers can subscribe to FamilyTalk plans.
If you make the count, you are at $80 before the fees and taxes. Expensive? Of course, but that was expected. After all, it's the iPhone!

I'm still waiting for something to be posted on the At&t site. Thanks for posting this, but it's really just more of the same stuff we've been getting for weeks now.

mjsteve2

Jun 12, 2007

this is a good post. i already gave everyone this information before. some believed me and some didn't. but hopefully everyone can see the info again. this plan was just released a couple of weeks ago. so potentially this is going to be the iPhone plan. and i also received the same information from a AT&T store.

spacerog

Bronze
Jun 11, 2007
www.spacerogue.net
Can we get confirmation from aother source please? If one AT&T rep knows then others reps should know it as well. As far as we know this rep could be talking out of his butt hole and just guessing. He is probably looking at the plans available right now and saying "Hmmmmm, I bet iPhone will use this plan." As far as we know there could be a completely new plan announced on June 29.

We need confirmation.

- SR

dmksaved

Bronze
Jun 14, 2007

that 40 buck plan better include text messages

emerrill

Bronze
Jun 14, 2007
It appears your friend at AT&T should pay better attention to the training manual.

http://images.macrumors.com/article/iPhoneman/iPhone15-1.jpg
Yeah, that's not the way it really works.

MediaNet in the manual refers to their webpage that allows you to get desktop pics, ring tones, etc.

The MediaNet packages, just give you data allowences, whether you are browsing MediaNet, or the regular web, it is all the same. I have a PDA phone, and I can't access MediaNet, but I still have a MediaNet package (although, I *should* have a PDA plan, which is more expensive, but it doesn't effect my ability to browse the web/check email)

adamjohn_98

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Yeah, that's not the way it really works.

MediaNet in the manual refers to their webpage that allows you to get desktop pics, ring tones, etc.

The MediaNet packages, just give you data allowences, whether you are browsing MediaNet, or the regular web, it is all the same. I have a PDA phone, and I can't access MediaNet, but I still have a MediaNet package (although, I *should* have a PDA plan, which is more expensive, but it doesn't effect my ability to browse the web/check email)
Well crap, I got myself all worked up for nothing. Thanks for the info though!

TrippalHealicks

Gold
Mar 2, 2007

This thread needs deletion. It's just more speculation. And on top of that, it's 3rd-party speculation.

JnC

Bronze
Jun 17, 2007
The Media Net "cool things" are not provided according to the Training Manual. Besides, Media Net is WAP based... at least on my ancient phone.

It's no big deal as much of it's content, if not more, will be available via the Safari browser and the widgets. AT&T will probably have some sort of trick up their sleeve for the default iPhone homepage.

emerrill

Bronze
Jun 14, 2007
This thread needs deletion. It's just more speculation. And on top of that, it's 3rd-party speculation.
Im not sure why that means it needs deleting, almost every thread on this board is speculation. If you don't want as much speculation, wait til, I don't know, ~july 1 before reading the boards.

n9ngx

May 31, 2007

Sorry, but Edge does not permit use of any AT&T video which is too bad because they offer some worthwhile stuff. I had a 3G phone and it was fun to watch a lot of late night talk show clips, animation clips of shows and tons of other stuff like Nascar Races etc. Edge will not even allow you to access this video stuff. So we will be paying for an unlimited data plan that is for Edge which is useless basically. The only way you'll be able to do video streaming and clips is through Wi-Fi, so we are really getting ripped off. in fact Edge can run video (I have done it from some sites in Europe), but AT&T wont let you use their servers for video on Edge. Once again, we are being ripped by them.

emerrill

Bronze
Jun 14, 2007
Here's how AT&T describes Media Net:

Sorry, but Edge does not permit use of any AT&T video which is too bad because they offer some worthwhile stuff. I had a 3G phone and it was fun to watch a lot of late night talk show clips, animation clips of shows and tons of other stuff like Nascar Races etc. Edge will not even allow you to access this video stuff. So we will be paying for an unlimited data plan that is for Edge which is useless basically. The only way you'll be able to do video streaming and clips is through Wi-Fi, so we are really getting ripped off. in fact Edge can run video (I have done it from some sites in Europe), but AT&T wont let you use their servers for video on Edge. Once again, we are being ripped by them.

I don't see how an unlimited dataplan is 'useless' just because you don't get their streaming content (you do get youtube though). I have a 2.5G windows mobile phone, and I easily go through 50-70MB/month, just in email/maps/periodic web surfing (not much though, IE sucks, esp. in mobile form). That would cost a ton on a pay-as-you-go plan.

JnC

Bronze
Jun 17, 2007
I don't see how an unlimited dataplan is 'useless'
I'm not saying an unlimited dataplan is useless.

If hearsay contains boilerplate Media Net info, and such services are described as not supported by the Training Manual, then you can't trust that portion of the hearsay. And probably should take anything else with a grain of salt.

So if we just disregard that goofup, in essense it leaves us with: an unlimited data plan that costs $40. Which is status quo. Provided you can trust the word of yet another friend of a friend at AT&T who apparently is untrained.

This revelation + $4 would get you a cup of coffee.

TrippalHealicks

Gold
Mar 2, 2007
I'm not saying an unlimited dataplan is useless.

If hearsay contains boilerplate Media Net info, and such services are described as not supported by the Training Manual, then you can't trust that portion of the hearsay. And probably should take anything else with a grain of salt.

So if we just disregard that goofup, in essense it leaves us with: an unlimited data plan that costs $40. Which is status quo. Provided you can trust the word of yet another friend of a friend at AT&T who apparently is untrained.

This revelation + $4 would get you a cup of coffee.
Thx JnC,

for making me NOT the only one that's sick and tired of hearing this "friend called an AT&T rep 2 states away" BS.
haha