Media Studies Project - Apple Advertising

AndyWil...

Jun 2, 2008
Hey im not quite sure if this corresponds with the regulations of the site but I'll continue anyway.
I'm a media studies student studying in Cumbria, UK. For my critical research project I am to investigate Apple's advertising campaigns after 1997. Among these campaigns is Apple's iPhone.

For my primary investigation task I have to include responses from a consumer point of view by means of questionnaires. So i thought what better place to ask than a forum dedicated to the product..

I'll kick start this off then and I hope you can take part, if not, no bother, thanks for your attention anyway ;)

Here is an example of one of the iPhone adverts: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=IzPB6IyWIvE
I'm sure you've all seen them before! ;)

• Did the iPhone advertisements persuade you to buy your iPhone?
  • What was the biggest selling point in the adverts for you (if any)?
  • From watching the Apple iPhone adverts did you feel the iPhone was a businesss or personal use or both? Why? Which appeals to you?
  • Did you feel the functionality of the phone was positively demonstrated in the adverts?
  • Did you think the simplicity of the adverts is reflected in the actual product?
  • What did you think about the black background of the adverts opposed to the white backdrops in the 'Switch', 'Get a Mac' and Macbook Air advertising campaigns?
  • Did you feel the music best fitted the characteristics of the advert?
  • Did you find the adverts patronizing or too naive?
  • What age range of audience do you think the adverts were aimed towards?
  • Do you think the Apple would have created a better market for the iPhone if they had used graphical manipulation and special effects (instead of clear and simple demonstrations) to enhance the quality of the iPhone in the adverts?
Thanks for your time, and again, I will be hugely grateful if you could answer these questions, it will most positively help me in my primary research.

Cheers everyone! :)
Andy

Alexander

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2007
Atlanta
I was already a fan of the iPhone by time the adverts rolled around, but they definitely reinforced what I loved about the phone to begin with.The fluid control of the phone appeared so natural, and really exhibited the excellent UI.I felt more personal use from the advert. The demonstrate mainly media concepts, and while a phone and browser have businesss value - they weren't presented that way in context.Absolutely. all of the adverts exhibited one tidy use of the device - collectively making them all more effective.Yes, more than any other phone I've used.I think it set them apart from their other advertising campaigns, giving the product the "revolutionary" feel they were going for.The music is simple and catchy, so I'd say yes. It kind of gets stuck in your head.No.Teens-Late AdultsNo, I think people can see through that.

AndyWil...

Jun 2, 2008
Fantastic response! Thanks very much Alexander :)

Dec 10, 2007
blacked out
  • Did the iPhone advertisements persuade you to buy your iPhone?
yes, that commercial was solid and certainly planted the seed in my mind. I finally pulled the trigger after seeing it used in a few TV shows.
  • What was the biggest selling point in the adverts for you (if any)?
Simply the astounding features and beauty.
  • From watching the Apple iPhone adverts did you feel the iPhone was a businesss or personal use or both? Why? Which appeals to you?
I got the impression that it was a great "personal" phone with reasonable businesss applications.
  • Did you feel the functionality of the phone was positively demonstrated in the adverts?
Very well presented I thought.
  • Did you think the simplicity of the adverts is reflected in the actual product?
Without a doubt. I never thought about it like that but the two really do jive.
  • What did you think about the black background of the adverts opposed to the white backdrops in the 'Switch', 'Get a Mac' and Macbook Air advertising campaigns?
Hadn’t thought about it before. I guess it makes sense considering the color of the phone.
  • Did you feel the music best fitted the characteristics of the advert?
I do. Apple is very clever when it comes to their choice of music. This was spot on.
  • Did you find the adverts patronizing or too naive?
No so much for the iPhone ads.. but the MAC vs. PC ads are really starting to grate on me. (and I’ve recently switched from PC to MAC)
  • What age range of audience do you think the adverts were aimed towards?
Everyone really. But to be more precise.. I’d guess 12-50
  • Do you think the Apple would have created a better market for the iPhone if they had used graphical manipulation and special effects (instead of clear and simple demonstrations) to enhance the quality of the iPhone in the adverts?
No. That’s the beauty of Apple and their products; simplicity.

AndyWil...

Jun 2, 2008
Thanks to Anthony aswell :) I'm guessing that's your name, states in your sigy, or dutch bastard :p whichever u prefer ;)

Buffy

Zealot
Gold
Jan 20, 2008
Fantastic response! Thanks very much Alexander :)
Psst...that's what the little "Thanks" button on the bottom right corner are for. They put a lot of effort into their responses. ;)