MediaNet 5MB for $9.99? Is that a lot of data?

TNTITANS7

Oct 1, 2007
I have the prepaid MediaNet unlimited data plan on my 3G 16GB iPhone and it's scheduled to end in mid-November. So, I now have the options of 1MB for $4.99/month or 5MB for $9.99. I use my iPhone only on weekends and I have wifi @ home. My questions - how much data is 5MB? Alot? Not much? How can I measure my data usage to make sure 5MB is enough?

Thanks from Nashville.

iconone

Zealot
Gold
Apr 8, 2008
Clear Lake Texas
I have the prepaid MediaNet unlimited data plan on my 3G 16GB iPhone and it's scheduled to end in mid-November. So, I now have the options of 1MB for $4.99/month or 5MB for $9.99. I use my iPhone only on weekends and I have wifi @ home. My questions - how much data is 5MB? Alot? Not much? How can I measure my data usage to make sure 5MB is enough?

Thanks from Nashville.
I don't think thats much i get a lot of emails and this pic was from about 2 weeks ago and now i received 5.2 gb and sent 292mb.
Go to settings> general>usage. And it will tell you how much data you have sent and received. I have only had my 3g for about a month and a half.

Attachments

goobs22xx

Bronze
Sep 16, 2007
Im pretty sure that figure has to include wifi.

So I guess it depends on how showered you are in wifi coverage.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
5 MB is not enough. Not with an iPhone. Trust me, if you go with a per-MB plan, you will end up spending more money than the flat rate plan, even if you only do it accidentally.

I hear what you're saying about being in wifi most of the time, but it's very easy to use data without even knowing it on the go unless you turn your phone off.

TAEWING59

Bronze
Jul 12, 2008
how do you use 5GB of data on your iPhone?!?

JiggaMyNegro

Bronze
Jul 21, 2008
The iPhone, like many other smartphones, has been shown to use data even when not actually "doing" anything at all. 5MB's will spare you a few dollars from a potential, inevitable several-thousand-dollar bill.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL

Thanks from Nashville.
On average, I am using about 8-9MB of data per DAY! There are days where I have used as much as 30, and some where I have used about 2.
The point is, that rate is enough for 1 day tops.
Save yourself a fortune and get a flat rate plan.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I have to agree with the others. I am very frequently in a WiFi area but I still use upwards of 700 MB a month. That is much, MUCH higher than the 5 MB. Of course a ton of people get by with using less data but as Hawk said, it will last you a day or two tops, especially when using an iPhone.

Oct 29, 2008
5mb

5MB is definitely NOT enough!

You'll go over your limit if someone sends you two pictures in your email. You would need to be very careful to not open anything while not in Wifi