Meebo,Mundu,FlickIM COUNT IN your 200MSGs

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

ojasray

Jul 17, 2007
okay so i have been using mundu a lot to talk to friends online and msg other mobiles...i just found out that even if you use THE INTERNET to im / txt msg it comes out of your 200 sms package...which i find to be DUMB...

i called att and they said, "thats just how it is" i was like HOW..WHY? if i am using the INTERNET than how come it comes out of the 200. its like me using WIFI and them charging me for it.

anyone got any idea? or how i can fight this back?

toss002

Mar 7, 2007
okay so i have been using mundu a lot to talk to friends online and msg other mobiles...i just found out that even if you use THE INTERNET to im / txt msg it comes out of your 200 sms package...which i find to be DUMB...

i called att and they said, "thats just how it is" i was like HOW..WHY? if i am using the INTERNET than how come it comes out of the 200. its like me using WIFI and them charging me for it.

Have you actually tried anything other than "mundu," like "MEEBO"?

BIGTIMEBALLER504

Bronze
Jul 9, 2007
thats impossbile because those are all based on java and they send the messages through java cant count as texts counts as unlmiited internet

ojasray

Jul 17, 2007
no trust me....
THEY COUNT and iv been using mundu and meebo most....i am not sure which one counts and with one doesn't but on my statement def INTERNET BASED chatting COUNTS...

thats impossbile because those are all based on java and they send the messages through java cant count as texts counts as unlmiited internet

toss002

Mar 7, 2007
no trust me....
THEY COUNT and iv been using mundu and meebo most....i am not sure which one counts and with one doesn't but on my statement def INTERNET BASED chatting COUNTS...

I'm sorry I have to disagree. I have been using Meebo (messaging back and forth in hundreds of dialogs), and I do check on-line call and data status daily. And I barely use SMS.

My hundreds of dialogs NEVER seem to appear as SMS.

Sorry, you got to check with them (AT&T) again.

ojasray

Jul 17, 2007
but do you chat with Screen names or or with mobiles? like i send messages via aim using mundu to a phone number not a screen name...maybe thats why? i dunno...but it still shouldnt be the case since im using THE INTERNET to do it.....

has anyone used jivetalk or other apps to chat to a mobile number, and not have it shown on the att records?

I'm sorry I have to disagree. I have been using Meebo (messaging back and forth in hundreds of dialogs), and I do check on-line call and data status daily. And I barely use SMS.

My hundreds of dialogs NEVER seem to appear as SMS.

Sorry, you got to check with them (AT&T) again.

toss002

Mar 7, 2007
but do you chat with Screen names or or with mobiles? like i send messages via aim using mundu to a phone number not a screen name...maybe thats why? i dunno...but it still shouldnt be the case since im using THE INTERNET to do it.....

has anyone used jivetalk or other apps to chat to a mobile number, and not have it shown on the att records?
I use my "XXXXX" in say XXXXX@yahoo.com---in "Meebo."

Try it on your desktop computer first and see.

toss002

Mar 7, 2007
i have no clue what u mean by that....

If you are NOT using "Meebo" (I hope you do), go here: http://wwwl.meebo.com/

Now, for example, if you have a yahoo e-mail account like johnsally@yahoo.com, you would enter "johnsally" in the log-in (Meebo page above) under Yahoo box; and you would have to use the same password as you would use to log in to check your e-mail. And yes, "johnsally" is your user name.

ojasray

Jul 17, 2007
yeah i get that...but i don't like using yahoo messenger none of my buddies use that.......so my question is...if i use MEEBO...with AIM and chat with a mobile number would i get charged from my 200sms package or would it go under the internet?

If you are NOT using "Meebo" (I hope you do), go here: http://wwwl.meebo.com/

Now, for example, if you have a yahoo e-mail account like johnsally@yahoo.com, you would enter "johnsally" in the log-in (Meebo page above) under Yahoo box; and you would have to use the same password as you would use to log in to check your e-mail. And yes, "johnsally" is your user name.

toss002

Mar 7, 2007
yeah i get that...but i don't like using yahoo messenger none of my buddies use that.......so my question is...if i use MEEBO...with AIM and chat with a mobile number would i get charged from my 200sms package or would it go under the internet?
I believe chat with your mobile number...is the reason.

NOW, with Meebo, it doesn't matter what you buddies are using, they all work in Meebo.

GQmacguy

Bronze
Jun 28, 2007
I still disagree that even "text to mobile" counts as sms against you. Do you not have an AIM,MSN,Yahoo account? If you are sending and receiving texts in your safari (browser) there is no way it can count against you as texts. Now, if you are using the features such as "notify of response" (if you have closed the browser or phone is in standby it sends you a txt message letting you know someone responded) or such, obviously that will count against you.

Are you in your browser only, or are you in your SMS screen when you are chatting?

natalie

Bronze
Aug 11, 2007
Louisiana
www.myspace.com
I use Mundu and Meebo and ive been monitoring my text message usage online on my AT&T account. And there has NOT been in increase in txt used. If they counted as txt messages then I would be way over my usage and im not.

achitnis

Aug 27, 2007

Hey! :)

My name is Atul, and I am from Geodesic (the company that produces Mundu). And I can tell you with absolute certainty that you have been misinformed - Internet IM messages are *not* counted towards your SMS message count, because AT&T never sees any of your messages or even knows that you are sending them. When you use Mundu, you connect directly to the AIM/MSN/GTALK/YAHOO servers via our application servers. AT&T is never in the picture other than for providing IP connectivity.

Mundu does not even *have* SMS capabilities, and has no way of accessing the SMS capabilities of your phone. And AT&T has no way of accessing our servers.

However, I think I know where the confusion comes from at the AT&T end (the person you spoke to):

There is a smartphone called the Palm 755p that has a built-in instant messenger application. When you use that application, you are, in fact, going via your service provider to send messages, and that application is designed to account for messages sent and charge them as SMS.

However, that application is not Mundu IM (it is not even written by us), but because we are very prominent in the IM market for Mobile Phones, the AT&T person must have gotten us confused with that application.

This does not explain why your SMS get used up, but I can guarantee that it is not Mundu IM that is doing that.