Memory does not go below 86%

rugved1118

Silver
Sep 27, 2013
Eversince i have upgraded to ios 8.0.2 on my 5S, memory does not go below 86%. I have very limited apps and 3 widgets. Can anyone please help ? I have also disabled location services except for find my iphone app and background app refresh is also toggled off.

Sent from my iPhone 5S

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Don't worry about the free memory. The iPhone will manage it just fine in the background without your intervention. But if you think you can do a better job than iOS and need that number to be lower for some reason, just close out apps you aren't using or reboot.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Inspite of closing unused apps, it shows similar value.
Rebooting will lower it, but it will go right back up with usage. Why are you trying to manage it yourself? It is unstable or slow? If so, rebooting daily should help.

rugved1118

Silver
Sep 27, 2013
Rebooting will lower it, but it will go right back up with usage. Why are you trying to manage it yourself? It is unstable or slow? If so, rebooting daily should help.
My wife now has ip5 with ios 8 with similar apps. Free memory on her cellphone is 56%. So was wondering why is it so high on ip5s

Sent from my iPhone 5S

rugved1118

Silver
Sep 27, 2013
What app are you using that shows the amount of free memory/RAM your phone is using? Has the small amount of free RAM harmed the performance of your phone?
Just curious.
It does not harm as such but just would like to know can max memory usage lead to draining of battery.

Sent from my iPhone 5S

MrMike6by9

Evangelist
Gold
Nov 16, 2008
Maryland, USA
As far as I know, active presence in memory/occupancy does not alter battery usage. It's the real time activity of an app or process, such as Mail or Location Services that causes usage of your remaining battery use time. By design, non active apps still in memory are not consuming your battery resources. Those apps are effectively asleep/suspended waiting for you to select them/bring them into the foreground.
YMMV