Memory problem?

Cantwait4iPhone

May 6, 2007
United States
You know, if you are a torrent person, everyone must know that normal dvd rips are always around 700MB. And when I used to convert them to ipod format it would bring them down to around 150-200MB so I don't really think space is going to be a problem. The resolution will be a little higher on the iPhone meaning a little higher movie file, but still, you will sure be able to fit over 5 hours of video.
Yeah. I have made my decision that I am just going to rotate, so to speak, the movies that I keep on the iPhone. When I want to watch a movie, I will put it on there and switch to a new movie when I get bored with the one or two that are on there. There will also be the smaller things that I will always keep on there, though, like maybe some things from YouTube. It's a bit tedious but a good way to conserve space and enjoy the iPhone.

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007
Yeah. I have made my decision that I am just going to rotate, so to speak, the movies that I keep on the iPhone. When I want to watch a movie, I will put it on there and switch to a new movie when I get bored with the one or two that are on there. There will also be the smaller things that I will always keep on there, though, like maybe some things from YouTube. It's a bit tedious but a good way to conserve space and enjoy the iPhone.
I think this is the way it will have to be if your iTunes library is larger than the iPhone. I imagine it will work just like the Apple TV does.

Cantwait4iPhone

May 6, 2007
United States
I think this is the way it will have to be if your iTunes library is larger than the iPhone. I imagine it will work just like the Apple TV does.
Right now my music alone is over 9GB :D

So I will have to do some rotating, plus there are some songs I don't listen to as often, so I will likely leave those off. When you plug the iPhone in, will it automatically start putting songs on it or will you be able to manually drag them in? It has been so long since I did this with my iPod that I can't remember.

BoxKrait

Bronze
May 16, 2007
Right now my music alone is over 9GB :D

So I will have to do some rotating, plus there are some songs I don't listen to as often, so I will likely leave those off. When you plug the iPhone in, will it automatically start putting songs on it or will you be able to manually drag them in? It has been so long since I did this with my iPod that I can't remember.
It auto-syncs, but you can specify by checking the checkbox next to the song in the library view which ones to send to the ipod(and probably iPhone).

Also, you can tell it to manually sync. Somewhere in the ipod options.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
It auto-syncs, but you can specify by checking the checkbox next to the song in the library view which ones to send to the ipod(and probably iPhone).

Also, you can tell it to manually sync. Somewhere in the ipod options.
Manual sync or separate playlists will be the way to go.

wot_fan

Silver
Mar 7, 2007
Chicagoland
web.mac.com
Manual sync or separate playlists will be the way to go.
I agree. I recommend you play around with smart playlists. With them you can basically have iTunes rotate what is on your iPhone for you. For instance, you can setup a smart playlist that is 2GB in size that contains classic rock songs that you haven't listened to in the last two weeks. Every time you sync, iTunes will replace the songs that you listened to since the last sync with new ones that meet the playlist's requirements.

Remain Nameless

Bronze
May 14, 2007
Don't forget that the OS X on there is gonna take up some room!

And what's the point of having more than 2 movies on there if the battery lasts 5 hours?!?
Well, I guess that's assuming if you're using the iPhone to watch multiple movies in a row (which would yes indeed drain the battery)... however, I think this isn't the main draw of the iPhone, so probably not a huge problem for the majority of people.

Cantwait4iPhone

May 6, 2007
United States
I agree. I recommend you play around with smart playlists. With them you can basically have iTunes rotate what is on your iPhone for you. For instance, you can setup a smart playlist that is 2GB in size that contains classic rock songs that you haven't listened to in the last two weeks. Every time you sync, iTunes will replace the songs that you listened to since the last sync with new ones that meet the playlist's requirements.
This is interesting, and I might look into it. As I have not played around much with iTunes over the course of the last few years, I could use some help. How do you do this?

And so you guys are saying that I can set it up so it will sync and not start adding songs automatically?

Sorry, I am kind of an iTunes newb :laugh2:. As I said, I have not played around with it much.

wot_fan

Silver
Mar 7, 2007
Chicagoland
web.mac.com
This is interesting, and I might look into it. As I have not played around much with iTunes over the course of the last few years, I could use some help. How do you do this?

And so you guys are saying that I can set it up so it will sync and not start adding songs automatically?

Sorry, I am kind of an iTunes newb :laugh2:. As I said, I have not played around with it much.
You can setup how an iPod (and I assume an iPhone) syncs to iTunes in a number of different ways. One of them is to sync selected playlists. If you use this method, you can setup smart playlists to control what is on your iPod.

A smart playlist is basically a filter. Any songs that you have in your library that meet the filter's requirements will be added to the playlist and thereforee your iPod. Everytime you sync, the filter is re-applied to your library so songs that no longer meet the filter's specs are removed and new ones that do are added. You can filter on many different things including how long since a song was played, your rating for the song, genre, etc. You can even limit a smart playlist's size.

Here is the Apple help for creating a smart playlist. I think once you start playing around with it you will see what I am talking about. At that point if you have any questions, post them. If I can't help, I am sure someone in our EI community will be able to ;).

Cantwait4iPhone

May 6, 2007
United States
You can setup how an iPod (and I assume an iPhone) syncs to iTunes in a number of different ways. One of them is to sync selected playlists. If you use this method, you can setup smart playlists to control what is on your iPod.

A smart playlist is basically a filter. Any songs that you have in your library that meet the filter's requirements will be added to the playlist and thereforee your iPod. Everytime you sync, the filter is re-applied to your library so songs that no longer meet the filter's specs are removed and new ones that do are added. You can filter on many different things including how long since a song was played, your rating for the song, genre, etc. You can even limit a smart playlist's size.

Here is the Apple help for creating a smart playlist. I think once you start playing around with it you will see what I am talking about. At that point if you have any questions, post them. If I can't help, I am sure someone in our EI community will be able to ;).
Cool, thanks a ton. I will play around with it and check those links and get back to ya :)

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007
Cool, thanks a ton. I will play around with it and check those links and get back to ya :)
You can also download iTunes and play with it, checking out it's options and settings even if you choose not to sync anything yet. You can also use it to rip CDs which was one of its main features before the iTunes Store came around.