Menopause and hormone replacement

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Since it's really an off topic subject, why not?
I am highly trained, informed and can answer or discuss any subject!:)

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
I am starting to think someone is on his name..
Geordisjd is a her not a his :)

And I think she is a 'Lady Doctor' for a living, and opened this thread just to say if there are any folks who want to discuss these topics, she is our friendly resident expert ...

IphoneTony

Zealot
Gold
Nov 10, 2007
New Jersey
oh okay.. thanks... I have a question.. so during menopause how hot does it really get ;)

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Wow I'm suddenly reminded of "question and answer period" in sex ed.

Good topic, Geordi. Gosh I hate calling you that.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Well she's already the Ansel Adams of iPhone pics, and she doesn't even get paid for that!

H

Hayesimus

so. can men go through menopause? and if not then why isn't it called womenopause?

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
Thanks geordisjd for offering your time. If I have questions or issues, I know where to look for answers. :)

H

Hayesimus

haha.
well, i just don't get that (rolls eyes)

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
oh okay.. thanks... I have a question.. so during menopause how hot does it really get ;)
It gets hot for most women, but not that kind of hot!

Hot flashes are due to sudden increased blood flow in the skin that gives the woman a sensation of intense heat. Night sweats are a variation on this.
The cause is estrogen withdrawal when ovaries run out of eggs and stop producing hormones. The tendency is for hot flashes to slow down and even go away after months, years... Estrogen therapy will get rid of them.

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
so. can men go through menopause? and if not then why isn't it called womenopause?
No. Menopause is the cessation ovarian function, which is fairly abrupt (no more eggs!). Some people describe an andropause, but there's really no such thing. Male functions decrease slowly with age, but there's no "pause".

The Apple

Zealot
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
Indiana
What is your take on the high number of infertility problems that we are currently facing. Going through the adoption process I found that there are a lot of couples facing this issue, and I know quite a few people going through treatments and such. Is this more of a problem now or was this problem just amplified in my eyes because I had to go through it?

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
There is evidence of a growing epidemic among teen age girls. Especially, since some of the STDs that are being diagnosed can result in fertility damage. Having 3 young daughters of my own, I have no idea how I'm going to make it to my last daughter becomes an adult without worrying to death.

H

Hayesimus

get a shotgun. its always a deterent for ancy young males when the dad has a gun in his hand... lol