Mercedes-Benz CarPlay Integration Looks Awful

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by chris, Mar 3, 2014.

1. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Have you seen the photos of the Mercedes-Benz implementation of CarPlay. They are showing this in their C-Class today. They made a point in their press release to let people know they were the first premium German car manufacturer to offer CarPlay. I'm sure there is a lot of laughter in the BMW offices today.

mercedes-benz-carplay-1.jpg

#1 chris, Mar 3, 2014
    Last edited: May 26, 2015
  2. up10ad

up10ad Genius
    Gold

It may look hokey but it's far better than the previous Benz alternatives. My E55 came with a fully integrated screen and phone, navigation maps, CD, etc. If I now want to use a different carrier, the entire system needs to be replaced. Same story if I want to update the maps! My CD changer developed a problem and its the same refrain; replacement of the entire system is required at a cost of over $2,800!

I wouldn't care how ugly the implementation is, give me back control of my features and I'll be happy.

3. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

It looks like a last minute add on to be the first.

4. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

My sister has a relatively new Mercedes-Benz SUV. I was surprised when she told me that Bluetooth required some super-expensive accessory that was not part of the factory install. This is a truck with leather and navigation, so hardly an bare bones option-free model.

Out of curiosity, why change your carrier? Coverage?

One thing lost in the announcement yesterday was the cost of CarPlay. If Apple approved MFi game controllers are $100, how much is an Apple CarPlay authorized in-dash unit?

5. up10ad

up10ad Genius
    Gold

Well, actually, since is it an older 2000 E55 AMG it offered either integration with CDMA or TDMA systems, and since I was with AT&T I got the TDMA support for an integrated StarTAC. No upgrade path to GSM or any other handset whatsoever. I'm still with AT&T.

While I understand the technology issue here, I don't understand the inability to update maps for GPS system. They were on CDs and still have no upgrade path! Love the car, not so much the company. Windshield washer reservoir plastic tank developed a leak and the repair is over $700 because it is integrated to the headlight washers and is a single-system fix. Crazy engineering. Oh well, at least it's fast. :cool: