Message tones

rpb1

Dec 28, 2007
Hi, (an O2 UK iPhone user here)

How can I, or can I customise and add new message tones, I know how to add/make and customise ringtones that works well (although iTunes view function for ringtones is not an available option?) I am using latest iTunes/and an O2 contract locked phone with a windows PC not Mac. I do not wish to unlock the phone currently.
Many thanks in anticipation of an answer?:)

Richard

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
While you can create ringtones (for phone calls) for the phone in iTunes, you cannot create ringtones for features such as SMS and Email.

It can be done if you jailbrake your iPhone, which is not unlocking, but that's up to you if you want to do it or not.

- John

Tim7

Dec 28, 2007
What exactly does jailbreaking involve?

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Jailbreaking involves using different programs (differing depending on what firmware you are running and what computer platform you use) to put Installer.app, the application that installs 3rd Party Applications, onto your iPhone.

Jailbreaking is hacking, and it isn't supported by Apple. Apple will be releasing an SDK, Software Development Kit, in February so that 3rd Party Apps will be supported, by Apple, on the iPhone.

I'll run down the basics of jailbreaking the phone.

If you are running firmware 1.1.1 -
Visit www.jailbreakme.com on your iPhone. Scoll to the bottom of the page and tap 'Install AppSnapp'. This will install Installer. No computer necessary.

If you are running firmware 1.1.2 and you upgraded it to 1.1.2 yourself -
Go here and follow the instructions posted. It will involve downgrading the firmware, which is obviously more difficult than visiting a website. However, if the directons are followed properly, you should be fine.

If you are running firmware 1.1.2 and it was that way when you got it -
Go here for instructions on doing it. While the instructions aren't the clearest, and the poster of the instructions was a post whore and got banned ( :p ) several members have reported the instructions to work.

Good luck!

- John