Messages App Glitchy, Keeps Closing

OneMyth

Sep 7, 2013
Hi,
Recently my message app started glitching. If I try to see my other messages the application just closes. I tried a restore, restarting my phone and a hard reset. Anything else I can do? Any feedback will be much appreciated.

Sent using iCafe app

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
Hi,
Recently my message app started glitching. If I try to see my other messages the application just closes. I tried a restore, restarting my phone and a hard reset. Anything else I can do? Any feedback will be much appreciated.

Sent using iCafe app
Welcome to the forum.

Do you know what iOS you are on? This may be good information when others read this question you have. When you say you tried a restore, do you mean a restore through iTunes? Did you set your iPhone up as new or using a backup?

I would like to also say that my iPhone Messages app, the stock app, has closed on me several times, but it was fixed by a hard reset. I do hope we can get some more information to help you out.

Sent using iCafe app

Last edited:

OneMyth

Sep 7, 2013
I am on iOS 6.1.3, I did a reset settings option on my phone in the general tab.

Sent using iCafe app

OneMyth

Sep 7, 2013
And yes it is the stock app.

Sent using iCafe app

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
I am on iOS 6.1.3, I did a reset settings option on my phone in the general tab.

Sent using iCafe app
In your original post, you say that you did a restore. A full restore in iTunes, or you just reset your settings?

OneMyth

Sep 7, 2013
In settings.

Sent using iCafe app

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
In settings.

Sent using iCafe app
Does your iPhone show any signs of anything else wrong? If this is the only thing wrong, and it continues to happen, I would try a Full Restore using iTunes. This will in fact send you to iOS 6.1.4. Make sure you do a backup first in iTunes of your apps and anything else of importance.

One quick question. Have you jailbroken your iPhone before? If so, have you used a backup that may have had anything jailbreak related on it?

OneMyth

Sep 7, 2013
No this is the only issue I'm having with my phone right now. No I haven't tried jail breaking my phone, nor do I plan on it. Ill try the iTunes restore, thank you.

Sent using iCafe app

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
No this is the only issue I'm having with my phone right now. No I haven't tried jail breaking my phone, nor do I plan on it. Ill try the iTunes restore, thank you.

Sent using iCafe app
Before you try this, are you by chance getting any arabic text messages? There is one text message in arabic that can cause your messages app to crash.

OneMyth

Sep 7, 2013
No I have not.

Sent using iCafe app

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
No I have not.

Sent using iCafe app
Ok, that is good. If the issue still continues to occur often, then I would try to do the full restore in iTunes after backing up your device. This will put it back to factory state and hopefully fix your issue. However, if it still continues, please do let us know.

OneMyth

Sep 7, 2013
Ok thanks again it was much appreciated, enjoy the rest of your night/day.

Sent using iCafe app

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL

jmp316

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 10, 2008
I am trying to understand what this is saying. Is it saying that any app could be attempting to render that particular string of characters? If I recall from the original post of this problem, it would only affect the messages application if someone texts you those characters.
From what I have read about it, it's a malicious string of text that can be texted to you by anyone. I was wondering if this may have hit the OP.

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
From what I have read about it, it's a malicious string of text that can be texted to you by anyone. I was wondering if this may have hit the OP.
I actually asked above, and they said they have not received any arabic text messages. Now I was quite confused on why they would be having this issue. So the only thing I could think of was for them to do a full restore. :giggle:

jmp316

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 10, 2008
I actually asked above, and they said they have not received any arabic text messages. Now I was quite confused on why they would be having this issue. So the only thing I could think of was for them to do a full restore. :giggle:
Sorry, didn't see that you asked about an Arabic text. I'm not sure what's up with OP's message app. Last resort would be a full restore...

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
Sorry, didn't see that you asked about an Arabic text. I'm not sure what's up with OP's message app. Last resort would be a full restore...
Most definitely. They already did everything I was going to suggest before the full restore. Seems odd. I have had issues with any of my apps, such as the messages app, crashing/closing, but not continuasly