Messenger?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

ahactor

Bronze
Apr 4, 2007
Hickland, OH
Well, I am pretty much addicted to MSN. So, my question is, can you download MSN onto your phone? The iPhone runs OSX, and you can download MSN on a mac with OSX. So, could you do that for an iPhone? Or, would you just need to use a company like ebuddy to access MSN? I guess this can also be thought of as "How much like a computer will the iPhone be?" Can you download things like MSN and other programs off the internet onto your iPhone like you could with a regualr mac? Is the OSX the full version, or a special one for the iPhone? Sorry for all the questions... hehe, thanks in advance.

May 6, 2007
United States
Well, they have said that the iPhone will run a slightly "optimized" version of Mac OSX. Whether or not this will create compatibility issues is yet to be seen. Honestly, I think it will not be a problem to download it as much as running it. Maybe MSN and other companies will create iPhone versions.

Steve Jobs will like ensure that the phone will be compatible with most programs and file types that the Macs are, other than the fact that he will make it better for the phone.

Yeah, I know it's a little confusing. I am rambling, so I will stop. Lol I hope this helps.

Bootlessjam

Bronze
Apr 15, 2007
I think even if normal apps ran on iPhone, they wouldn't be very good. The iPhone is different to a Desktop or Laptop; it doesn't use a mouse and has a much smaller screen. It doesn't put apps in windows or anything, so I don't know how it would work at all.

Apple said they are still deciding whether or not to make the iPhone open to 3rd party apps or not. If they do then I would expect MSN and IMs to be some of the first apps to be available.

If they make the iPhone a closed platform, then you could still use online versions of MSN in safari in theory.

ahactor

Bronze
Apr 4, 2007
Hickland, OH
I think even if normal apps ran on iPhone, they wouldn't be very good. The iPhone is different to a Desktop or Laptop; it doesn't use a mouse and has a much smaller screen. It doesn't put apps in windows or anything, so I don't know how it would work at all.

Apple said they are still deciding whether or not to make the iPhone open to 3rd party apps or not. If they do then I would expect MSN and IMs to be some of the first apps to be available.

If they make the iPhone a closed platform, then you could still use online versions of MSN in safari in theory.
Yes, I know of a few sites I could do that on. But now I wonder if they WOULD allow MSN on it by connecting to the internet. Think about it, Cingular has IMing on most phones. And guess what? They charge extra on top of the texting plans for IMs, so I doubt that they would want Apple to allow people to download MSN, and then use a Wi-Fi hotspot or something to use it on. It would definitely lose them money, obviously. So, I'm thinking now maybe they won't let it, but I can use the site I use on my PSP to access MSN. For all of you who would like it, please PM me; I don't want to advertise. >.<

dblaron

Bronze
Feb 17, 2007
All I say is give it time. I think once the phone is released Apple is going to realize that they are going to be on there way to what I like to call a power company, If not already. They will realize that the demand is there. then they will create any and everything under the sun for this phone. They are just a little afraid of failuar due to the Newton PDA. So they are just testing the waters with the iPhone for now. So you will see Apple is really in controll and not cingula.

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007
All I say is give it time. I think once the phone is released Apple is going to realize that they are going to be on there way to what I like to call a power company, If not already. They will realize that the demand is there. then they will create any and everything under the sun for this phone. They are just a little afraid of failuar due to the Newton PDA. So they are just testing the waters with the iPhone for now. So you will see Apple is really in controll and not cingula.
Apple is doing much more than testing the waters. Their dealio with Moto and the iTunes phone was testing the waters. They are pouring a lot into this and expecting to capture 1% of the market by 2008. And I don't think it has anything to do with Newton.

Spin This!

Silver
May 4, 2007
Well, they have said that the iPhone will run a slightly "optimized" version of Mac OSX.
Optimized in this case meaning stripped down to fit on a Flash drive and compiled for the phone's ARM processor. In other words you're not going to be able to run the same apps you ran in OS X unless there are iPhone versions compiled for the Phone.

I bet one of the big new feataures in Leopard's XCode is going to be iPhone compatibility which would compile iPhone versions of their apps, granted they're built the right way.

I can see why Apple is wrestling with the decision... the problem is not developers ruining the Phone (because if Apple does allow 3rd party development, you'll be able to only download the applications through the iPhone "portal" in iTunes... in other words locally.), it's having the developer tools in place to support a 3rd platform.

Henrico

Jan 12, 2007
Well, I am pretty much addicted to MSN. So, my question is, can you download MSN onto your phone? The iPhone runs OSX, and you can download MSN on a mac with OSX. So, could you do that for an iPhone? Or, would you just need to use a company like ebuddy to access MSN? I guess this can also be thought of as "How much like a computer will the iPhone be?" Can you download things like MSN and other programs off the internet onto your iPhone like you could with a regualr mac? Is the OSX the full version, or a special one for the iPhone? Sorry for all the questions... hehe, thanks in advance.
I can just picture the interface now.... your contacts list is the main focus of the screen and you just touch their names to start a conversation. then down below are tabs of your conversations. you can just touch them to return. Good idea? :)

May 6, 2007
United States
I can just picture the interface now.... your contacts list is the main focus of the screen and you just touch their names to start a conversation. then down below are tabs of your conversations. you can just touch them to return. Good idea? :)

Yep, that would be really cool. I hope they do this for multiple messenges (MSN, iChat, AIM, etc.). Even if they did just do iChat, you can set that up for your AIM account and maybe your MSN too. But I could see Cingular losing money as they make you pay for the messages at this point, by making IMs count as text messages, I believe.

May 6, 2007
United States
I already mentioned something on that. IMs cost more than texts, which I said above. So that is maybe one of the reasons they wouldn't do that, because they would lose a lot of money.

Sorry about that. I forgot you mentioned it. For me, though, they cost the same as texts. They just run on the same plan (i.e. 400 Texts/ IMs a month).

May 6, 2007
United States
Yup yup! I just checked the Cingular site. Only the unlimited texting plans have free IMing. Here is a linky: http://www.cingular.com/cell-phone-service/services/services-list.jsp?catId=cat1470003&catName=Messaging+and+MEdia+Bundles

Interesting, thanks for the enthusiastic clarification :laugh2:. I noticed, though, that the unlimited plan is like $10-15 more than the regular plans with 10 cents more for IMing. So, assuming you stay within your texting and internet limits, the only way to make that worth it would be to send/ receive 100-150 instant messages in a month. Plus, there is free mobile to mobile messaging, I see.