Metal cases....

Discussion in 'iPhone Cases and Accessories' started by jaw2k9, Feb 26, 2013.

1. jaw2k9

jaw2k9 Member
    Bronze

I bought a metal (aluminum) case from one of the cheapo sites - meritline, I have always my home printer ink from them and it has always been flawless, I have purchased one or 2 junk items from them in the past - headphonse mostly, for my kids and they have worked well too.

So, for $8 I got a metal bumper - a ripoff design like the old vapor for iPhone 4.

Well install was great - fit was great, finish was very good, and lost home wifi frequently - so off came the metal bumper.

I did not wait to see how it affected my phone strength.

So, any cheap small/light metal bumpers out there that don't affect the signal?

Oh, and I thought all the signal stuff was corrected.

Right now, going caseless - that's why I like bumpers.

I would go Spigen - immediately except when my bumper from them failed at the charging input - after about 4 months they would not send me a replacement. No more money for them!

2. Zanthe

Zanthe #apple
    Gold

I think this is usually problematic. People don't seem to have issues with the Element cases but then they aren't cheapo.

3. jaw2k9

jaw2k9 Member
    Bronze

Yes. I was aware of that with the earlier Element cases also producing the same effect. But they changed them later on by adding a non-metal part over the antenna in the lower left corner - for the iPhone 4. I had (unbeknownst to me) used a counterfit version that worked very well on my iPhone 4. I had bought it used, assumed it was the real deal - but had NO loss signal wise (it was the newer version with the plastic part).

In any case, I had thought that Apple fixed the antenna issue entirely for the ip5 which would have made this a non-issue (or so I believed).

The only reason I don't have an Element case, is I don't like the look of the new ip5 style, and they simply cost quite a bit more than I am comfortable spending for a case - I can afford them, I just prefer to spend that money on other stuff (like my kids!).

Thanks

4. EverythingApple

EverythingApple Evangelist
    Gold

Interesting. I have to keep an eye on my Spigen bumper. It is starting to wear on me, as it is getting loose, like most of the reviews state.

5. jaw2k9

jaw2k9 Member
    Bronze

Mine never got loose, but the plastic connection on the iPhone 4 was literally about 1mm at the spot where it broke.
    That issue was not an issue with yours. I was just annoyed that they would not replace it (to be honest). So....NO SOUP FOR THEM!