Mic and Speaker not working on regular handset use

Aug 21, 2011
Hello,
I can't hear or talk back to people using my handset. A little background which may help to better detect the problem: My dad jammed an iPhone4 sim card in my iPhone 3G and the only way to get it out was by taking the phone apart. I did this and got the sim card out, but upon reassembling and using it to see if it worked properly, I realized that regular handset use does not work; this means that if I make a call, I cannot hear the person on the other end and neither can they hear me.
The problem is rather strange because it resembles another common problem that I have read about on other forums. If I make a call and take the call on speaker phone, I can both hear the other person and talk back to them. The reason why I am posting this thread is because the people on other forums that report the same problem never took their phone apart as I did, so I am thinking that I may have disconnected the ribbon cables that transmit the information to the speaker and from the mic. The people on other forums say that the problem resides with the headphone jacking having some gunk in there, which, I am guessing, triggers the phone delegating the speaker and mic capabilities to the device that the phone thinks is connected through the headphone jack? I am really not sure but that is what the people in the other forums are saying.
I am hoping someone with a working knowledge of the chipset may know if I have disconnected something that connects the speaker and mic to the logicboard or if it has something to do with my phone thinking that there is a device connected to the headphone jack.
Thanks for read.
-Nav

RoofMonkey

Genius
Gold
Jun 21, 2010
Florida
Curious as to how you 'jam' a micro sim in a full sized sim slot.

Aug 21, 2011
I don't really know and I didn't really push to ask because I know he felt embarrassed about it. Anyway, I think I really blew a small problem out of proportion by doing what I did.

Aug 21, 2011

The cable that seems to be disconnected is called the "Sensitization Cable." I don't know how to connect it back in its original place. It seems like magic that it had ever been placed where I think it had been, originally.