Micro-SIM to Nano-SIM

Discussion in 'iPhone 5' started by TarekElsakka, Oct 17, 2012.

1. TarekElsakka

TarekElsakka Genius
    Gold

Hey there

I Googled and found that there are cutters for turning a micro-sim into a nano-sim and they're fairly easy to use, according to videos and reviews; however, the catch is that I'd have to use sandpaper in order to reduce the thickness of the card from about 0.82 to 0.70 or something like that. Has anyone done this?

Unfortunately carriers here don't sell nano-sim cards yet, and won't be until they get the iPhone 5 (which is in more than a month and a half). I have a backup sim card just in case I mess it up.

This is the cutter:

http://www.amazon.com/Zuweiyu-generations-Cutter-cutter-iphone/dp/B0097M8MUM/ref=sr_1_8?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1350463791&sr=1-8&keywords=Noosy+sim+cutter

Is using a sandpaper to reduce thickness easy? It seems hard when looking at it and I don't even know how to measure thickness after I am done.

Thanks guys!

2. Jaz0305

Jaz0305 Member
    Bronze

I went to the Apple store and got the Verizon nano sim. Problem solved

3. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

You don't need a SIM cutter or sandpaper. All you need is a butcher knife or pair of scissors and a template, which you can download. You don't need to reduce the thickness, either.

4. Edwin Miller

Edwin Miller New Member

Firstly, I thank you for informing about such cutter. Actually after reading your query I went to Google and found some results regarding Nano-SIM cutter. Many there tell that same thing you can do with Pocket-Knife & scissors but I don’t think that these tools will give accuracy I mean you will not get absolute precise while the cutter has specifically designed for this purpose and give you absolute precise. By the way this is not good to buy it for one time use why not you look around for Apple Store, it will just hand you one. Eventually I would like to know that are newer and older both SIM work well after cutting?

5. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

It's really not that difficult. I got it right on the first try with a knife.

6. TarekElsakka

TarekElsakka Genius
    Gold

Can you please link me to the tutorial you got the template and instructions from? Thanks, Mindi!

7. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

This is the one I watched last year before I cut a standard SIM down to micro SIM size. It's a different size, but it's the same method and it will show you how easy it is.

8. TarekElsakka

TarekElsakka Genius
    Gold

Oh wow.. cutting them isn't as hard as I thought; you just need to align them and mark them right with the knife. I see that in the template, however, I'll have to remove some contacts, not just edges, from the Micro-SIM in order to convert it into a Nano-SIM, right?

9. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I think I cut into the contacts just a bit when I did mine.

10. Keytarjeff

Keytarjeff New Member

I have yet to have to use sandpaper to get the Sims to fit correctly

11. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I didn't have to do any sanding, either.

12. TarekElsakka

TarekElsakka Genius
    Gold

My Dad's still hesitant about me cutting his sim card myself but I'll give him some time, I know he'll come around. Haha!

I will just look for an unused, old sim card, I am sure we have a couple lying around, and perhaps perform that on it first and see if it fits correctly. Hopefully I can do it!