Microphone not working on iPad 2 since upgrading to iOS 7

Discussion in 'iPad 2' started by Mit, Jul 21, 2014.

1. Mit

Mit New Member

Since I upgraded to iOS 7 the microphone on my ipad2 stopped working on FaceTime and Skype. I have to connect a headphone set and then it works fine. Can anyone tell me how to start my microphone again?

2. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Do you have a case on your iPad? If so, have you removed it and checked the mic? Have you checked for any debris that may obstruct the mic? If it still doesn't work, try a hard reset. Hold both the top power button and the home button at the same time until the Apple logo appears, then release. Let us know if any of that works.

3. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Open the Settings app on the iPad and go to Privacy -> Microphone -> Skype -> and toggle it on. You likely accidentally clicked no when it initially asked to access it.

4. Mit

Mit New Member

I tried out both above. Also there is no case on my iPad. In addition I usage a vacuum cleaner to clear microphone. But still response on Skype test call and FaceTime is that microphone not working.
    Is it a software problem as until I upgraded the iOS all these apps were working good or is it hardware?

5. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Is Skype and FaceTime toggled on like Europa showed? Do any other apps that use the mic work?

6. Mit

Mit New Member

I tried all apps that were listed on the Microphone settings.... None of them - like vonage, or Skype or Nymgo - works though they do ask for access to microphone. I am totally lost ?

7. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Basic troubleshooting steps clearly outlined in the User Guide are restart, reset, restore from backup, restore as new.
    If you've gone through ALL the troubleshooting steps, including cleaning and vacuuming, and you're still having the problem, then you most likely have a hardware issue and will need to bring your phone to Apple for evaluation.
    Try vacuuming again, this time holding it to the mic for at least 30 seconds.

8. Mit

Mit New Member

Thanks a lot.... I will try using a vacuum cleaner for 30 secs + ... Hope it starts ... Thanks to all ....

9. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Do you use a vacuum attachment or just put your iPhone on the ground and run a Dyson over it a few times?

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  10. Mit

Mit New Member

I do use a vacuum attachment...... Else the diaphragm can get damaged.!

11. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

It worked for the person I read about while researching the problem. They didn't mention any particular attachment and the last part of your question is ridiculous! I'm only trying to do what I can to help.

12. Mit

Mit New Member

Sorry if it sounded rude but that is what I thought it would do. Thanks for the help. I hope I can get it working.

13. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I'm pretty sure she was joking about the Dyson.

14. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Using a home vacuum on an iPhone is potentially harmful. They are not designed for usage on electronics. They can create static charges and cause damage. There are vacuums available that are safe for electronics, but they are expensive.

15. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

TWSS!

16. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

2012 called. They want their meme back.

17. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

It would help if all these sites that offer "How To" info would explain any hazards associated with their advice and suggestions. It's the internet. It's all supposed to be true, correct and complete. :D
    Thanks!

18. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

That's why we search multiple sources and collate. :)

I never, ever, trust a single source on the internet. If I want to see posts by people that use single sources, I'll open Facebook. :D

19. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

@Mit,

Someone over at discussions.apple.com seemed to have the same problem, also, quite interestingly, right after their upgrade to iOS 7.

One of the responses was to use a safety pin to remove the dust near the opening for the mic, followed by a blast of air from a compressed air can. That OP did not write back to say whether it worked, but if you're interested, you can find the thread I'm talking about here.

20. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Actually, Mitt mentioned using a vac before I went in search of info on that. I found 2 references to using a vac to clean a mic. One a suggestion and one success story. I was a bit skeptical at first, which is why I went looking. Oh, well. I learnt something today.