Microphone Problem

Discussion in 'iPhone 5' started by Sharunda, Oct 1, 2012.

1. Sharunda

Sharunda Genius
    Gold

In my excitement for getting the iPhone 5, and then restoring a few times and having to deal with little hiccups with the iPhone, I never took a video until Saturday 9/29/12. Well, when I took this video it filmed beautifully but there was no sounds. Instead there was a hissing noise.

In trying to fix this issue, I did a hard reset thinking, oh, this can't be, maybe this will fix it, all the while hoping it wasn't a hardware issue. The hard reset didn't work. I did a full restore, that too didn't work. I called Apple and the Tech wanted me to do the very same things I had already done. I informed them that these things didn't help the issue. We did a final test using the Speaker Phone and they couldn't hear me so they made an appointment for me to go into the Apple store and get a swap out. I got a ride to the mall - I mention that because it is significant as I don't own s car and it's a big deal for me to get to the mall at such short notice.

The Apple Genius did some tests and decided to replace the iPhone 5. The replacement phone worked, as best as I could hear in the extremely noisy mall Apple Store. There were so many babies and small fries in carriages on Saturday night! Really people?! My God! Amazing! Anyway, it seemed to work. I did a restore from iCloud when I was in there and did another test video after and it seemed to work. No hissing and I could hear my voice as well as see the video.

When I restored in the store from iCloud, for some reason the restore was from Thursday not a more recent one. I was missing some info, so when I got home I did another restore from iTunes using the backup from Saturday morning assuming everything was fine, as this was a new iPhone and that Mic problem was a hardware issue.

This morning I took another video. There was sound but it was accompanied with an annoying hissing noise. WTF?! I am wasting screen protectors on this. I’ve got to make another Genius Appointment and I am going to get an iPhone that records video with uncompromised sound! This is annoying. I take a fair amount of video and I need them right.

My theory, I believe the headphone jack being on the bottom next to the Microphone is causing issues with the Mic. It shouldn't, but I think it does. It didn't when the Mic was on top next to the headphone jack, but now there's a problem.

Anyone else have a similar issue?

2. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

3. Avatar

Sponsored Advertisement

4. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

5. Sharunda

Sharunda Genius
    Gold

imutter Hey Girl!

No. I'm not using a case. I have a sleeve. I did get a case on Saturday and I used it then but I hate the feel of it so I took the iPhone out of it.

6. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

Well I thought that be it. My speakers are muffled with the case wondered if that affects the mic

7. Sharunda

Sharunda Genius
    Gold

No, no case obtruction here. Just a messed up Microphone all the time! Two iPhone 5's messed up Microphones. What are the odds? I just got off the phone with Apple Tech support and they determined that I should do another restore and see if that works. I just cut the phone off and then back on as they instructed me to do and that didn't fix it and I think I'll do a hard reset to see if that will help. Before I called Apple, I did make a Genius Appointment for this morning, but I'm at work. I want to leave here to get this taken care of already.

This is so annoying.

8. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

Sharunda
    this stinks
    Ahhh why is it never right the first time ?

9. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

Could be a good way to get you in the store... 'Well, since I'm here, I could buy another cable... Since there are no adapters yet'. LOL

10. Sharunda

Sharunda Genius
    Gold

imutter I know. It pisses me off. I have no time for this swap swap swap!

And I'm wasting my screen protectors. I put a new one on thinking this phone was alright, now I'll have to change it again! I've got to put more $ out for another set.

11. Sharunda

Sharunda Genius
    Gold

RoofMonkey

LOL! Funny you should mention that. When i was there I asked if they had any Lightning to USB cables and they did. They had a wall full of them. I purchased two.

12. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

Sharunda I did have 1st phone a zagg screen on. After the replacement I skipped it. Seeing all those reviews I felt I did not need it
    My son still got his on but we probably take it off soon too.
    Also if you go to Zagg store (in malls) you pay one time and got a warranty after that it's $6 each
    They don't ask how it came off.

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. Sharunda

Sharunda Genius
    Gold

imutter Thanks for the info on that. I rescheduled my Genius Appointment for tomorrow. I hope they have stock at the mall for me. I am so frustrated! I don't know why this has to be an issue.

Since no one has commented in here, I guess I'm the only one in here with the Microphone problem. When I looked on line in Apple Support community there are people who have the same issue. It's a defect and I have to keep trying until I get a phone that is perfect. That's what I'll do tomorrow, we'll go through all of the ones they have until I get one without the Microphone problem.

14. iErik

iErik Zealot
    Gold

Seems kind of odd that you restored in the store with your back up from Thursday and it worked fine. I'm wondering if there's some sort of bug/corruption in your Saturday backup that you used that is causing the issue. Can you restore with the Thursday back up again and see if the problem goes away?

15. Sharunda

Sharunda Genius
    Gold

Ah, yes, I was thinking this as well. That is why I canceled my appointment for today. I need to go home and do a restore to see if that helps it.

I, as well as, the Genius and the techs all believe this is a hardware issue. I don't want to swap my phone again so I'm going to try the restore. I don't think it's a glitch though with the mic sounding the way it does. Its most definitely hardware related, but you never know.

16. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

Sharunda What happned did ypou get it to work ?
    Ughh I am restoring again the music started flipping AGAIN
    I restored who knows how many times

17. Sharunda

Sharunda Genius
    Gold

imutter No. It still has the static/hiss noise in the video when I play it back. I tested my hubby's 4S and my 5 together. I took a video with both at the same time and his video sounded more clear, not much static and it was much louder. I had both the volumes up high too. I think they dropped the ball with these mics. I'm going to call and speak to a tech on the phone, open another ticket and make another Genius Appointment for Saturday morning. I will explain to the tech that if it is not normal for the iPhone 5 to have the static/hiss sound when you record video then I want an iPhone 5 that is on par with the recorded video of the iPhone 4S. I am going to stay at the Apple store and try all the stock they have until I get an iPhone 5 that takes video better than the one I have. I'll check it for scratches and any other problems before I leave. I don't think its much to ask for the video to sound good.

18. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

Sharunda I couldn't restore from the cloud still trying to find my Apps AHHH

19. rturner2

rturner2 New Member

I have this same issue and I tried a friends iPhone 5 and he has the same issue also. I record video and without any sound around me I get a lot of hissing and static. It's as if the microphone is far too sensitive. I can't use the video I record at all. Significantly worse than iPhone 4S.

20. rturner2

rturner2 New Member

What did you end up doing? Did you get a new one that didn't have this issue?