microphone/recording capability of iPhone?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

mfox

Oct 17, 2007
I understand that the iPhone has a 4th contact in its headphoen jack for receiving input form the microphone on the iPhone earbud cord. If this is so, is their a possibility of using the iPhone as a recording devcie, and hopefully a good fiedlity one, by using third-party microphones in the head phonejack? I realize Apple would have to implement the recording capability (to MP3) in the iPhone software also. Is anyone aware of any plans regarding this?

doron

Zealot
Gold
Apr 17, 2007
tampa, FL
I understand that the iPhone has a 4th contact in its headphoen jack for receiving input form the microphone on the iPhone earbud cord. If this is so, is their a possibility of using the iPhone as a recording devcie, and hopefully a good fiedlity one, by using third-party microphones in the head phonejack? I realize Apple would have to implement the recording capability (to MP3) in the iPhone software also. Is anyone aware of any plans regarding this?
man that's a good question...i've been lkn fwd to using my iPhone as a recording device...

shawn

Bronze
Oct 11, 2007
Apple's Priorities

1. Make money on every feature
2. If the feature has potential profit, leave it out until profitability can be implemented.

As the iPhone has no capability yet to charge you for recording, the capability is not yet implemented (in the software).

Just when I think I have figured out Apple, they show another side.

It's sad, really. Apple known in the past for being the king of multimedia computing, lets the beancounters make yet another new ruling. The capability is certainly one left out intentionally.

Having recording capability has been a rudimentary offering of even the most simple of MP3 players and certainly all PDA's. Not here though.

Come on Apple, didn't even the Newton include the feature?

doron

Zealot
Gold
Apr 17, 2007
tampa, FL
Apple's Priorities

1. Make money on every feature
2. If the feature has no profit, leave it out until it does.

As the iPhone has no capability yet to charge you for recording, the capability is not yet implemented.

umph...that's a deep point you got there...i bear witness to that...they definitely got some money from me when they put that iTunes featr on here...i guess that's "businesss" huh...but let's hope that they'll have change of heart..