Microsoft Exchange or Gmail ?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

avin7000

Bronze
Jun 7, 2011
The Gmail account can be set either of two options, Microsoft Exchange or using Gmail, which one is better & why ?

And which one you have set up ?

Thank you :)

Jun 16, 2008
Tinley Park, IL
This may just be my account, but I had my gmail set up for a while using exchange and it was great when it worked. I would get my pushed emails for a day or two and then I would get this "cannot connect to gmail" message every time I launched mail. I went back to the built in gmail option with fetch and haven't had that problem since. I set fetch to 15 minutes and haven't seen a battery drain.

I say give exchange a shot and see if it works for you. It doesn't hurt anything to set it up.

avin7000

Bronze
Jun 7, 2011
I am using Exchange since beginning. I wasn't getting real push emails with default Gmail.

One difference I have found out is, Exchange does not sync Notes where as default Gmail does.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Have always had a gmail account set up on my devices as imap. Never any problems or complaints to date.
+1 on the imap setup.
I have had the problem recently of not being able to contact the imap server, but going into setting and toggling mail on and off fixes it. Haven't figured out why it happens, but it's isolated, and doesn't happen too often