Microsoft Office 2008 Messed Up All My Fonts!

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Apparently, it happens to a lot of people(Safari, Firefox, email) because MSO is replacing system fonts with their own!

You can always count on Microsoft to mess things up whenever you expect it less. The only cure is to uninstall MS Office, restart, reinstall " custom" and uncheck "install office fonts".:mad::mad::mad:

Last edited by a moderator:

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Ah Microsoft. This is why I use Apple Works and Pages. Sorry to hear about your issue. Best of luck with setting it right.

- John

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Ah Microsoft. This is why I use Apple Works and Pages. Sorry to hear about your issue. Best of luck with setting it right.

- John
Thanks. I'm also an Appleworks user. I was just test-driving MS Office for my son who thinks he can't live without Word. Why, I don't know. Word always finds a way to annoy me. Like those little red wrinkly lines trying to make me me think I can't spell! OK, I did write "staples" with 2 p's a few times.
I'm ready to UNinstall.

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
it did it to mine. after i rebooted, i was good to go. i also ran a font program that detected all of my double fonts (fonts that i had duplicates of) and deleted the doubles. took about 10 minutes.

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
it did it to mine. after i rebooted, i was good to go. i also ran a font program that detected all of my double fonts (fonts that i had duplicates of) and deleted the doubles. took about 10 minutes.
After reading all about this, I found out that all u need to do is locate the "Microsoft Fonts" folder in the main "Fonts" folder (I did a search for it), trash it, restart, and the problem is gone. I can't believe that about EVERYBODY installing Office 2008 on a Mac has this problem, but it's apparently true.

<<Font distortion (letters run together)? Disable Microsoft fonts If you're having problems with font distortion in various applications after installing Office 2008, try temporarily removing the Microsoft fonts folder from /Library/Fonts and restarting. This may alleviate the issue.

MacFixit>>

Who knows what else Microsoft is trying to do to all the poor innocent Macs out there, messing up with their system at the most basic level?

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
After reading all about this, I found out that all u need to do is locate the "Microsoft Fonts" folder in the main "Fonts" folder (I did a search for it), trash it, restart, and the problem is gone. I can't believe that about EVERYBODY installing Office 2008 on a Mac has this problem, but it's apparently true.

<<Font distortion (letters run together)? Disable Microsoft fonts If you're having problems with font distortion in various applications after installing Office 2008, try temporarily removing the Microsoft fonts folder from /Library/Fonts and restarting. This may alleviate the issue.

MacFixit>>

Who knows what else Microsoft is trying to do to all the poor innocent Macs out there, messing up with their system at the most basic level?
I haven't had a problem yet, though I only installed Office '08 yesterday. Is your sig Klingon? It reminds me of it.

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
I haven't had a problem yet, though I only installed Office '08 yesterday. Is your sig Klingon? It reminds me of it.
Amazing! Somebody with no font problem and some serious knowledge of Shakespeare!

"You haven't experienced Shakespeare until you've heard it in the original Klingon!" - General Chang.

Last edited by a moderator:

scandalex

Silver
Sep 16, 2007
So far, I haven't had any problems either. I've had Office '08 for about a week. For anyone having problems, were they immediate or did the problems take some time to appear?

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
My son installed Office 2008 on his 20-inch intel iMac a few days ago, and immediately, he noticed that his weather widget was exhibiting font problems. And so were a few other dozen things. He followed my motherly advice and got rid of his Microsoft fonts' folder for a speedy cure.
I heard that the resolution of the display may have something to do with the ones having problems, but I refused to experiment with it. Trashing the darn thing felt a lot better.

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
My son installed Office 2008 on his 20-inch intel iMac a few days ago, and immediately, he noticed that his weather widget was exhibiting font problems. And so were a few other dozen things. He followed my motherly advice and got rid of his Microsoft fonts' folder for a speedy cure.
I heard that the resolution of the display may have something to do with the ones having problems, but I refused to experiment with it. Trashing the darn thing felt a lot better.
That's weird---I too have a 20-inch iMac Intel and the weather widget, and have experienced no problems (yet). Microsoft is like a box of chocolates........