Might sell iPhone due to low earpiece volume!

wmflyfisher

Bronze
Oct 10, 2007
Athens, GA
Hey guys, I got the iPhone a couple of days ago and I love all the features but the earpiece volume is waaaaay too low. I know this has been discussed quite a bit already. I just wanted to express my negative feelings about this. Why would they make it so low? I talk on my phone a lot with the windows down and I can barely hear anything! I'm even thinking about selling it because of this. How possible is it that someone will come up with a fix for this?

jjvaldez

Gold
Jul 3, 2007
Salinas, Ca
1.1.1 was soposed to fix this.. are you on the latest firmware?

Jun 26, 2007
yes 1.1.1 improves speaker and sound so much
my phone is loud as $@#* now that im on 1.1.1

shawn

Bronze
Oct 11, 2007
That's odd. Although I'm not a real fan of the included earpiece (because of the ear-fit dimensions), i've never had an issue with the volume.

I do think that the biult in speaker is next to worthless though.

I would take the unit into an ATT store and compare with a known good unit to make sure that the problem is not simply a defect.

wmflyfisher

Bronze
Oct 10, 2007
Athens, GA
Well, I read a lot of info on here and most have said that 1.1.1 did not improve their earpiece volume. I upgraded right when I got the phone and it's still pretty bad.

skiz420

Bronze
Jul 28, 2007
Boston
by earpiece do you mean the one on the handset itself or the included ear buds with mic? i think you are talking about the one on the handset itself.. if so have you tried it with the ear buds? or maybe a bluetooth with noise cancellation like the jawbone

wmflyfisher

Bronze
Oct 10, 2007
Athens, GA
by earpiece do you mean the one on the handset itself or the included ear buds with mic? i think you are talking about the one on the handset itself.. if so have you tried it with the ear buds? or maybe a bluetooth with noise cancellation like the jawbone
Sorry, yes I'm talking about the actual speaker on the phone itself. The volume is very loud when I use it with the ear buds. I'm not and don't plan on using bluetooth either.

Jul 6, 2007
Marietta, GA
about.me
yes 1.1.1 improves speaker and sound so much
my phone is loud as $@#* now that im on 1.1.1
you must be high or something because my volume is just as quiet as ever. when im in my room and it is deasd silent, then yeah its VERY loud, but when i just have the tv on i have to mute it because its wayyy to loud to hear my phone...and yes i have 1.1.1

voldak

Sep 24, 2007
you must be high or something because my volume is just as quiet as ever. when im in my room and it is deasd silent, then yeah its VERY loud, but when i just have the tv on i have to mute it because its wayyy to loud to hear my phone...and yes i have 1.1.1

Ok...this is my first post, but hear me out.

I bought my iPhone a few weeks ago. The second I got it, i updated to 1.1.1. My earpiece volume was crap (just like yours). I called Apple and this is what they told me to do.

Go to Settings and then toggle Airplane Mode on and off for about 15 seconds. End the toggling with Airplane Mode turned off. After that hold the Top Button and the Home button until it restarts. This totally fixed my problem. I couldn't hear anything from the speaker on the phone before, but after doing that it works perfectly. Hope it helps!

Redfor

Bronze
Jul 31, 2007
Fort Knox, KY area
The ear Speaker on my iPhone is a little low as well, but doesn't bother me since I don't use it that much. 90% of the time I use my Jawbone headset. The Jawbone can get so loud it can actually hurt, I actually keep headset on loud, then my iPhone about half volume otherwise.... Pain! lol

askewed

Bronze
Jun 22, 2007
NJ
I still can't hear mine ring if it's in my pocket...

fides7

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
San Antonio, TX
Well I'll be....tried it and it worked for me..thanks :)

Ok...this is my first post, but hear me out.

I bought my iPhone a few weeks ago. The second I got it, i updated to 1.1.1. My earpiece volume was crap (just like yours). I called Apple and this is what they told me to do.

Go to Settings and then toggle Airplane Mode on and off for about 15 seconds. End the toggling with Airplane Mode turned off. After that hold the Top Button and the Home button until it restarts. This totally fixed my problem. I couldn't hear anything from the speaker on the phone before, but after doing that it works perfectly. Hope it helps!

seb481

Silver
Aug 3, 2007
San Diego
This didn't do anything for me. Thanks for the tip though

Rip

Silver
Oct 23, 2007
Northern England
Didn't work for me either - on two phones.

Is this a fault or a configuration that can be rectified?

NMprofessional

Bronze
Aug 1, 2007
Rochester NY
Hey guys, I got the iPhone a couple of days ago and I love all the features but the earpiece volume is waaaaay too low. I know this has been discussed quite a bit already. I just wanted to express my negative feelings about this. Why would they make it so low? I talk on my phone a lot with the windows down and I can barely hear anything! I'm even thinking about selling it because of this. How possible is it that someone will come up with a fix for this?
wmflyfisher,

I am looking at getting rid of my iPhone too, but for different reasons. I really need a password app and to way edit docs before 4 months waiting for a SDK.

I was told by the AT&T mobile rep, I would need to cancel my iPhone contract, pay the termination fee, and get a different phone on a new 2-year contract. Ugh.

Hecubus

Bronze
Jul 9, 2007
1.1.1 did not fix the speaker volume, as was advertised, for many users such as myself, so getting rid of your phone because of low speakerphone/earpiece volume is completely legitimate (it is a phone first and foremost after all.) It's frustrating.

To any who feel the need to change because of this important aspect, I hope you find a better phone.

electoman

Bronze
Sep 20, 2007
Atlanta, GA
wmflyfisher,

I am looking at getting rid of my iPhone too, but for different reasons. I really need a password app and to way edit docs before 4 months waiting for a SDK.

I was told by the AT&T mobile rep, I would need to cancel my iPhone contract, pay the termination fee, and get a different phone on a new 2-year contract. Ugh.

I would check this again. I was considering changing phones and the only thing the CSR said was that woudl have to change data plans.