Mini messenger bag

Discussion in 'iPad Cases and Accessories' started by raqball, Nov 5, 2012.

1. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

STM makes a nice messenger bag for the mini but it looks like a man purse to me..

Anyone have a messenger bag for the mini?

I had the STM for the iPad 3 and loved it!

Thanks in advance :)

2. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

If anyone else is looking for the same as I was here is what I decided on ordering after a ton of searches and emails to various manufacturers.

1st

STM Jacket D7:

http://www.stmbags.com/catalog/laptop-sleeves/jacket-d7-sleeve/

Video showing how the mini fits

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=LcaFxYcZ9hQ&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DLcaFxYcZ9hQ

2nd

Chrome Victor Bag:

http://www.chromebagsstore.com/bags/utility-bags/victor.html

Customer service at Chrome Bag actually cut out cardboard in the size of the mini to make sure it would fit! Awesome and a major bonus for above and beyond support!

Here is the email response I received:

3rd

Maxpedition Jumbo KISS Bag

http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/JUMBO-K-I-S-S-65p1479.htm#details

I will update this tread once they arrive!

I ordered the D7 from eBags on eBay and scored it for $20 with free shipping!

I ordered the Chrome Victor Bag direct from the manufacturer. It's $85 with free shipping!

I ordered the Maxpedition Bag from eBay for $64 with free shipping!

I cycle daily (30-40 miles) so I assume I will more than likely end up keeping the Chrome Victor Bag as long as the mini fits well enough for cycling and will have to decide between the D7 and Maxpedition for daily non-cycling use.

3. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

The D7 and the Victor bags arrived on 11-13-2012 and here is my mini review of both. Keep in mind that we will all use these differently so this review is based on my needs. A few photos are provided to show how the iPad mini fits in each.

I will update again when the Maxpedition Bag arrives.

The STM D7:

STM makes high quality bags and the D7 is no exception! The bag is very well made and is very light. The interior compartment is padded to protect the iPad mini. The mini fits nicely into the compartment and has extra room that would allow a Smart Cover or a thin case. The D7 also has a small front pouch to hold a cell phone and has a rear document pouch.

It comes with a removable shoulder strap and a removable wrist sling. The shoulder strap appears well made and sturdy but the wrist strap feels cheap and I do not think I would trust it. I suppose even if the wrist strap failed and the bag tumbled to the ground, the iPad mini would be fine because of the padded interior.

I ordered the STM D7 bag from eBags on eBay for $20 with free shipping.

Pros:

Quality construction
    Padded interior
    Pouch for phone and documents
    Shoulder and wrist straps
    Price ($20 with free shipping)

Cons:

Limited color choices
    Wrist strap is cheap and flimsy
    Looks like a purse (if you are a man)
    Zipper closure

Photos:

D7 Overview

ImageUploadedByiCafe1352922125.745459.jpg

D7 with iPad mini

ImageUploadedByiCafe1352922148.923917.jpg

D7 with iPad mini inside and closed (small wallet in exterior pouch)

ImageUploadedByiCafe1352922170.687091.jpg

D7 with document

ImageUploadedByiCafe1352922194.672307.jpg

The Chrome Victor Bag:

The Chrome Victor bag is very well made. The quality of the bag is even better than the D7! The bag is lightweight and waterproof. Chrome Bags offers a no questions asked lifetime warranty on the bag and in my limited experience, their customer service is top notch and will go above and beyond to assist customers. The bag has a very smooth interior for the mini to rest in but the padding is very light. The bag also has an additional pouch for a cell phone, small wallet or mifi device. There is no document slot like found on the D7

The Victor Bag has a very nice and top quality shoulder strap. The strap is non-removable and has a high quality seat belt like clasp / buckle for an added sense of security. This strap and buckle could probably survive thermonuclear war in my opinion. As an added bonus the bag has daisy chain mounting loops for attaching carabineer clips or bike lights and has reflective strips for night visibility. This is a very nice addition for cyclist, motorcycle riders or pedestrians..

I ordered the Victor Bag directly from the manufacturer (Chrome Bags) for $85 with free shipping.

Pros:

Very well made! Top quality construction (better than the D7)
    Pouch for cell phone, small wallet or a mifi device
    Integrated bottle opener on the quick release buckle (sweet)
    Waterproof main and cell phone compartments
    Quick release buckle
    Daisy Chain loops
    Reflective straps
    Does not look like a purse (if you are a man)
    Heavy duty velcro closures

Cons:

Price ($85 with free shipping)
    Less storage options than the D7 for documents
    Heavy duty buckle makes it feel heavier than what it is
    Only available in black (no color options)

Photos:

Victor Overview

ImageUploadedByiCafe1352922380.201841.jpg

Victor with iPad mini

ImageUploadedByiCafe1352922473.116822.jpg

Victor with iPad mini inside and closed

ImageUploadedByiCafe1352922503.714898.jpg

Victor cell phone, wallet or mifi pouch

ImageUploadedByiCafe1352922522.370318.jpg

Victor seat belt style clasp / buckle

ImageUploadedByiCafe1352922541.969994.jpg

Both are very nice bags that will hold and protect the mini. Which you choose will depend on many different factors that suit your needs. If you cycle, ride a motorcycle or walk a lot and want the ability to bring the mini with you then the Chrome Victor bag is a no brainier. If you are a man and do not want something that looks like a purse, the Victor Bag wins out again.

As a daily cyclist I am keeping the Victor Bag for cycling only and will decide between the D7 and Maxpedition once the latter arrives for my daily non-cycling use..

If you have any questions, feel free to ask! I hope this brief review of these bags can help others who may be in a similar situation as I was..

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  4. glsda

glsda Zealot
    Gold

Nice review thank you.

Jerry

5. rambo47

rambo47 Contributor
    Silver

I like the Victor. I'm normally a huge fan of Waterfield Designs but they don't have anything for the iPad Mini yet.

6. glsda

glsda Zealot
    Gold

I am a fan of Waterford Designs and am of the opinion they wil soon come out with a design for the mini.

7. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

Sweet! I honestly have never heard of them before so I will have to keep an eye on the website as they look very nice!

Thanks for sharing the link! :)

8. glsda

glsda Zealot
    Gold

My wife and I each have one for our iPads. I use mine when traveling and when the weather is bad since I have a minimalist Moshi case with cover. They have a small case that clips on to the bag that carries my charger and other gear.

9. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

Thanks! I am going to email them and ask about plans for a mini version.

I take my messenger bag everywhere and finding something for the mini has been challenging. I do realize the mini has not been out for long and hope more options come up soon..

The Victor bag is a keeper for cycling, motorcycle riders or pedestrians but finding a daily use bag for the mini is a bit challenging at the moment.

When I had the iPad 2 and iPad 3 I used and flat out loved the STM Scout bag..

10. glsda

glsda Zealot
    Gold

I am certain you will receive a reply. Please share it with us. Thanks Jerry

11. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

I sent the email but while playing around on their site, I found this available for the iPad mini.. it's available for pre-order and does not say when it ships..

http://www.sfbags.com/products/ipad-cases/travelexpress-ipad.php

It looks kind of purse'ish to me in the photos and video but I guess I would have to see one in person..

$59 for the iPad mini version and another $12 or $22 for the strap..

12. glsda

glsda Zealot
    Gold

I agree. I like the style of the one for my iPad however it comes in a sleeve style as well.

http://www.sfbags.com/products/ipad-cases/sleevecases-ipad.php

13. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

That bag is also available for the mini..

And I found another one that I think I really like.

Dang, now which to order and try?

http://www.sfbags.com/products/ipad-cases/sleevecases-ipad.php

or

http://www.sfbags.com/products/ipad-cases/cityslicker-ipad.php

Can't believe I never head of them before, they have some nice gear!

14. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

I think I am going to order the City Slicker..

http://www.sfbags.com/products/ipad-cases/cityslicker-ipad.php

I like the look of the Ultimate Sleeve a little better but the City Slicker has pockets and a document pouch whereas the Ultimate Sleeve only has the document pouch. I think the pockets are needed for my use as I would like the ability to carry a phone (maybe) but definitely would like to carry my small wallet and my Bluetooth headset..

I am torn as they both look like very nice bags..

15. glsda

glsda Zealot
    Gold

Be sure and give us a review either way.

16. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

I ordered the CitySlicker in Grizzly leather and with the suspension strap. It's pre-order that says shipping on 11-28.

Expensive little bag but sounds like Water Field makes some quality bags so I am sure it will be worth the price..

ImageUploadedByiCafe1353259373.312270.jpg

17. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

Customer service at Water Field is pretty awesome so far. They have answered all my questions and even sent me a few super secret photos of the CitySlicker for the iPad mini..

Here are the images they sent me and I think I have now found my new favorite messenger bag company! The CitySlicker for the mini looks pretty sweet in these photos!

Based on these photos I have also charged my order from the Grizzly Leather to the Dark Chocolate that is shown in the images..

ImageUploadedByiCafe1353355655.606525.jpg

ImageUploadedByiCafe1353355669.444885.jpg

What you can't really see in the second photo (with flap open) is the 2 pockets.

• Like Like x 1
    • List
  18. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

Update:

I received an email from WaterField yesterday saying that the bag will ship a few days later than expected. They did however give me free shipping due to the delay. They expect the bag to ship on Friday (11-30-2012) which is only 2 days late.

Here is the email I received:

I hope to have the bag in my grubby paws next week and will update this thread with photos and my thoughts on the bag..

19. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

The CitySlicker bag from SFBags arrived today and I must say it is very, very well made bag! I do not think I am going to keep it however.. The bag really looks far to purse'ish for me.

I have an email into SFBags asking about the mini version of their Indy Bag (I don't really like the look of it) and about the Muzetto Personal Bag (which I do like the look of)

The Indy Mini bag and Muzetto bag are almost exactly the same size so I hope the mini will fit in the Muzetto Personal bag fairly well..

At any rate and for those interested here is my short review of the CitySlicker bag for the iPad mini.

The CitySlicker for iPad mini from SFBags:

I ordered the bag directly from SFBags and the cost with the suspension strap was $127 after tax and shipping.

The bag is very well made from high quality leather. The suspension strap is removable and is very comfortable. The interior of the bag is padded and it has 3 layers of protection. The bag is constructed with impact-resistant plastic, high grade neoprene and has a padded liner.

The iPad mini fits inside the main compartment very nicely and it was well protected while inside. The flap secures with heavy duty snaps and there are 2 small pockets / pouches on the bag that are hidden when the flap is closed. On the backside there is another pouch that is secured with a zipper. This area could easily hold small documents, a cleaning cloth or perhaps even a cable.

Pros:

Very high quality construction
    Soft and high quality leather
    Padded interior
    Impact resistant plastic (under the leather)
    3 pouches for phone, accessories and documents
    Hight quality suspension / shoulder strap
    Plenty of color and customization options

Cons:

Price
    Looks like a purse (if you are a man)

Photos:

CitySlicker with iPad mini inside

ImageUploadedByiCafe1354410595.857071.jpg

CitySlicker with iPad mini

ImageUploadedByiCafe1354410639.687303.jpg

CitySlicker showing the 2 hidden pouches for phone ect..

ImageUploadedByiCafe1354410681.188729.jpg

CitySlicker showing the backside document pouch with zipper

ImageUploadedByiCafe1354410740.521245.jpg

CitySlicker suspension / shoulder strap

ImageUploadedByiCafe1354410808.658158.jpg

Overall I do really love this bag and it is pure awesome! To me at least it looks like a purse when wearing it and for that reason only I will be looking for another option.

• List
  20. glsda

glsda Zealot
    Gold

Thanks for the great review.