Minimum 2 year service plan required.

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
May 31, 2007
I noticed that when Apple first posted the three iPhone adds that they said in fine print at the botom there would be a minimum 2 year service plan required for use. When the fourth "watered down" add was posted the adds nolonger had this in it. I just thought that it was interesting. What do you think that this will end up being.

ebrunn

Silver
Feb 6, 2007
Minneapolis
I noticed that when Apple first posted the three iPhone adds that they said in fine print at the botom there would be a minimum 2 year service plan required for use. When the fourth "watered down" add was posted the adds nolonger had this in it. I just thought that it was interesting. What do you think that this will end up being.
Pretty sure its still required. Its just gonna be a "little" detail that you find out a the checkout counter.

Spin This!

Silver
May 4, 2007
Yeh... it's pretty much implied you need service.

If they had listed a price point, than they would certainly need to post the disclaimer.

May 31, 2007
A big part of the cost of the phone is offset by the service agreement. Also considering that ATT is the only carrier that can support the phones various features why would you want to switch. I'd be more worried about getting out of my agreement with the other carrier to move to ATT... I've used them forever and have never had a problem. So no big deal here.

Jun 13, 2007
A big part of the cost of the phone is offset by the service agreement. Also considering that ATT is the only carrier that can support the phones various features why would you want to switch. I'd be more worried about getting out of my agreement with the other carrier to move to ATT... I've used them forever and have never had a problem. So no big deal here.
So, if you already have Cingular and are on contract with them, you can switch the card and get an iPhone with no extra service charge? (just the cost of the phone) I did this with different phones last year, and nothing happened.

Itty

ebrunn

Silver
Feb 6, 2007
Minneapolis
Perfect scenario for me would to go in buy the phone, add a data plan to my current family plan, put in my current SIM card and iPhone away.

jwarner

Jun 23, 2007
The iPhone has a built-in sim that cannot be exchanged...they will have to program the iPhone much the way they used to before coming out with the chip. The main reason for this is that your new service plan will not work with other phones due to the the additional features of the iPhone and the hardware your service will access to make the features work... this information was told to me by an ATT rep at a store as I inquired about my sim chip.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
The iPhone has a built-in sim that cannot be exchanged...they will have to program the iPhone much the way they used to before coming out with the chip. The main reason for this is that your new service plan will not work with other phones due to the the additional features of the iPhone and the hardware your service will access to make the features work... this information was told to me by an ATT rep at a store as I inquired about my sim chip.
I guess we'll find out Friday.

Jtyner

Jun 30, 2007
iPhone SIM chip...

Guys:

Here is a direct quote from the little "Product Information Guide" (page 4, first paragraph) that comes with your iPhone:

"Repairing iPhone: Never attempt to repair or modify iPhone yourself. iPhone does not contain any user serviceable parts, except for the SIM card and SIM tray." (emphasis mine)

Hello?!? What does this mean? There is a small slot at the top of the phone between the Sleep button and headphone jack that looks like a perfect spot for a SIM chip to be inserted. There is a small hole that could be used to open the "tray" by inserting some kind of tool or pin maybe? Similar to what you have to do to eject a CD from a locked up Windows PC. :)

Anybody know anything about this? Maybe I'll take a pin to my local Apple store and test the theory on one of their iPhones!

Jim.

jwarner

Jun 23, 2007
I already purchased the iPhone and from my earlier post, I was only partially correct. There is a Sim Slot in the iPhone and you cannot use your current Sim with the iPhone. Apparently the Sim for the iPhone is slightly different than a standard Sim. Good news is that the iPhone includes its own Sim and the activation process is a cake walk providing you have downloaded the latest version of iTunes. It must be at leat v.7.3.

Guys:

Here is a direct quote from the little "Product Information Guide" (page 4, first paragraph) that comes with your iPhone:

"Repairing iPhone: Never attempt to repair or modify iPhone yourself. iPhone does not contain any user serviceable parts, except for the SIM card and SIM tray." (emphasis mine)

Hello?!? What does this mean? There is a small slot at the top of the phone between the Sleep button and headphone jack that looks like a perfect spot for a SIM chip to be inserted. There is a small hole that could be used to open the "tray" by inserting some kind of tool or pin maybe? Similar to what you have to do to eject a CD from a locked up Windows PC. :)

Anybody know anything about this? Maybe I'll take a pin to my local Apple store and test the theory on one of their iPhones!

Jim.