Atlanta
should i have a camera icon in messages with 3.0.1

RossMc

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2009
Newcastle, UK
It is to send pictures via MMS

When I click on it on mine it lets me take a new picture or choose a existing picture from my camera roll to send in a MMS message

I guess its just there for when AT&T activate MMS for you guys in the US.

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
No there is no camera icon in 3.0.1. In the 3.1 betas it will most likely be there unless AT&T is ready before the 3.1 public release. We are still waiting on AT&T.

RossMc

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2009
Newcastle, UK
Ah I thought he was saying it like there was a camera icon there and he was asking should it be there not that there wasent one there and he was asking should he have one

If you get what I mean lol

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
End of story. You should have the little camera icon in your messages. This is the same across the 3.0 FW.

If AT&T keep to there word you should have MMS 'working' soon as it's nearly the end of summer. ;)

iErik

Zealot
Gold
Oct 27, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
I don't have it on 3.0 with At&t 4.0 carrier. I don't expect to have it til iTunes prompts me to download a carrier update whenever At&t decides to make MMS available.

spif91

Bronze
Oct 7, 2007
NE Oklahoma
Must b a UK thing or a jailbreak thing huh? Cause i don't have the camera icon.........thanks

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
Ah I thought he was saying it like there was a camera icon there and he was asking should it be there not that there wasent one there and he was asking should he have one

If you get what I mean lol
I knew exactly what you meant :) You guys were lucky and didn't have to ever see or learn 3.0 without the camera icon, so 3.0 without it would sound odd to the rest of the world.
I have the camera icon in the Messages app. I'm also running 3.0.1 (with the AT&T 4.0 carrier file).
When I switched from my 3G with it to my 3GS with a restore from backup it was there and no matter what I did it wouldn't go away. I did have the icon with my 3G on 3.0 beta. In some cases I think it can pop up in 3.0/3.0.1 but it isn't meant to be there with the AT&T 4.0 carrier file. 3.0 wasn't designed to not have the camera icon so there is always going to be a chance that it could show itself.

RossMc

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2009
Newcastle, UK
I still don't understand why AT&T have not released MMS for the iPhone yet

They have it on other phones on there network so why not on the iPhone?

Whats there reason for it?

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
I still don't understand why AT&T have not released MMS for the iPhone yet

They have it on other phones on there network so why not on the iPhone?

Whats there reason for it?
There have been many reasons from employees that are in these forums and then no real answer from AT&T. It is all speculation of why it took so long. One was that they had to remove a code that opted us out from MMS for every 3G and 3GS, another was that they had to do system upgrades "so we have the best experience with out iPhones", and that Apple and AT&T held the information from the techs that would need to make the changes. But from the class action lawsuit that came out in Louisiana against Apple and AT&T, it looks like AT&T still hasn't upgraded the towers for mms which sounds like BS because every other phone uses it.

And the fact that I had it working great for 4 months on my 3G using 3.0 betas with earlier versions of the carrier file (and so do many others on their 3G's and 3GS's currently) showed that it obviously works on their system and they most likely could have had it working by now. I really doubt it should have taken this long since mms was announced in March giving them plenty of time to come up with a plan to get it done. I'm not saying it had to be done for launch but shortly after, it's mid-august now and they still don't have it. But I will give them until the last day of Summer which is September 21st before they hear from me and many other iPhone users because they promised late/end of summer.