Missing Contacts & Photos/Videos in New iPhone 6

Discussion in 'iPhone 6' started by Yagyesh, Oct 9, 2014.

1. Yagyesh

Yagyesh New Member

Hi,

A user here has started using the new iPhone 6. He has moved from iPhone 5.
    I set up his iCloud Account on his new iPhone 6 to sync the Contacts, Photos and Videos from his iPhone 5.
    But, the number of contacts in both the phones differed by a significant number. And same is with Photos. None of the Videos got transferred!

To solve this, if I use iTunes to first back up the contacts from the iPhone 5 and then restore these to iPhone 6, would the Contacts get duplicated in the new iPhone (as most of the contacts are already there in iPhone 6) ?

Is there a better way? Something like connecting both the phones using my PC (Windows 8.1) through iTunes or another (?) software and getting everything transferred on the new device?

I am also interested to know why the contacts/ photos/ videos from iPhone 5 did not completely reach the new iPhone; though most of the contacts got transferred?

Regards
    Yagyesh

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Videos and photos aren't synced through iCloud. They are in the iCloud backup, but that's not syncing. That's applying a backup. Syncing is what you see listed with toggles and it does not require applying a backup. Did you apply his backup?

His contacts are not accurate or up to date because he wasn't properly syncing. Here are a few possible reasons for this:
    1. He was syncing contacts through different email account on the phone.
    2. He had competing emails accounts (iCloud and Hotmail, for example) syncing contacts.
    3. He toggled iCloud contacts off on the old phone at some point and therefore they hadn't synced for a while.

3. mbairguy

mbairguy Contributor
    Bronze

iCloud backup from my iPhone 5 to 6+ restored all contacts and photos flawlessly. My 6+ is a mirror image of my old 5...no issues whatsoever.

Sent using iCafe app

4. Yagyesh

Yagyesh New Member

No, I have not applied the backup.

He has two e-mail accounts (Gmail and Exchange) on his iPhone and the toggle for syncing Contacts is ON for both.
    I configured all the Accounts (iCloud, Gmail, Exchange) on his new iPhone and set the Toggle for Contacts to ON; but still the Contacts have not synced completely!

May I ask what is the way of controlling the Syncing of Contacts - I mean how to sync all contacts with just one e-mail Account on the phone say Gmail and remove all Contacts from Exchange and iCloud; or any such permutation & combination?

Could I have two sets/ groups of Contacts viz. Personal and Official and sync these with Gmail and Exchange respectively?

And as I had asked, to solve this, if I now use iTunes to first back up the contacts from the iPhone 5 and then restore these to iPhone 6, would the Contacts get duplicated in the new iPhone (as most of the contacts are already present in iPhone 6 from the iCloud backup) ?
    And, could I do a selective Backup/ Restore of say only the Videos/ Photos/ 3rd party app data?

Regards
    Yagyesh

5. Yagyesh

Yagyesh New Member

Thanks mbairguy.

6. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Using two email accounts to sync contacts can cause the problem you are experiencing. Only use one. Sometimes you will get duplicates if you merge contacts when deleting the other account. Toggle Gmail contacts off on the old phone. If the contacts are correct on the phone at that point, log out of iCloud on the new phone, select delete contacts and then log back in. They should be synced and look exactly as they do on the old phone. Make sure you instruct him to toggle gmail contacts off every time he resets his settings or restores.