Missing dictation

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Docd

Contributor
Silver
Oct 16, 2011
My brother-in-law's iPhone 5 is missing the dictation microphone in the keyboard. I've looked under settings/general/keyboards but there is no switch to turn it on as on my 6+. Is this turned on anywhere else?

RoofMonkey

Genius
Gold
Jun 21, 2010
Florida
My brother-in-law's iPhone 5 is missing the dictation microphone in the keyboard. I've looked under settings/general/keyboards but there is no switch to turn it on as on my 6+. Is this turned on anywhere else?
I think that Siri needs to be turned on for the mic on the keyboard to show. Double
Check that he has Siri active

Docd

Contributor
Silver
Oct 16, 2011
I turn off Siri on my phone and the microphone is still there I my keyboard and so is the option to turn dictation on or off. So I don't think that's it. I believe it is turned on but I will have him check anyway.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Settings > General > Keyboard > English > Enable Dictation > On
If that was already on, is his keyboard set to English? Siri dictation doesn't recognize all languages.

RoofMonkey

Genius
Gold
Jun 21, 2010
Florida
Settings > General > Keyboard > English > Enable Dictation > On
If that was already on, is his keyboard set to English? Siri dictation doesn't recognize all languages.
He said there isn't an option like that, as far as turning it on. I don't see that either on my i5, but I'm on 7.x.x

Docd

Contributor
Silver
Oct 16, 2011
Ok problem is solved. It was the fact that Siri somehow got turned off when he did the last update. Thanks for the help.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
He said there isn't an option like that, as far as turning it on. I don't see that either on my i5, but I'm on 7.x.x
Just trying to cover all the bases. It's at the very bottom and I thought he may have missed it. It's an option on 8.x.
Ok problem is solved. It was the fact that Siri somehow got turned off when he did the last update. Thanks for the help.
I can disable Siri and still use dictation. Are you certain it wasn't the dictation toggle? Do you see a toggle for it now?

Docd

Contributor
Silver
Oct 16, 2011
I can too but it was Siri. Maybe if the upgrade turned off you can't use dictation but I don't know for sure. Most likely just a glitch in iOS.

RoofMonkey

Genius
Gold
Jun 21, 2010
Florida
Just trying to cover all the bases. It's at the very bottom and I thought he may have missed it. It's an option on 8.x.

I can disable Siri and still use dictation. Are you certain it wasn't the dictation toggle? Do you see a toggle for it now?
NOW I see that this is in the iOS 8 folder.... Oops ;)