Missing text messages, missing calls, and poor reception issues.

closer

Jul 27, 2007
Hi all,

I've been having a few issues where folks will call me and my iPhone does not ring.

I do not receive a missed call alert, the phone does not ring, and the phone does not vibrate. 30 minutes later when I call the person who was supposed to call me back they say they called yet I did not answer.

This occurs while having 4 bars of service.

This issue also occurs with text messages. I will send a text message, have it successfuly turn into a green box, and the person I sent it to does not receive it.

I've also had folks send me text messages that do not arrive.

The phones signal meter will constantly jump from 4 bars to 1 bar, back to 4 and sometimes down to no signal, without me moving the phone an inch.

Are any of you experiencing these problems?

When I had Verizon I never missed a text message, a call and my cell bars were constant when no movement was involved.

Any help?

Gurk33

Jul 20, 2007
Woah, this is AT&T - not Verizon. ;) AT&T is not known for having good service. Actually, no one other than Verizon is.

I agree about the randomly jumping from 4 bars to 1 bar thing. I don't know why it happens or that it makes any difference. I have not experienced the missed calls or texts, however. Are you in an area where the services is particularly temperamental? I really can't be sure my iPhone won't/doesn't do the same. I haven't even been with AT&T for a full week yet. I'm hoping that their service is bearable.

The iPhone is worth some sacrifices. Verizon's superior signal is one of them.

closer

Jul 27, 2007
I'm in the heart of Washington DC. The entire one wall of my bedroom is glass. I shouldn't be missing any calls.

I don't want to take this thing back and get one that has battery issues or one that has one of the "shitty" screens that you folks talk about here. Everything else on the phone works great. I don't have any sync'ing, battery, or dead pixel issues.

Think I can expect this to be addressed with an update? Or should I just take it back?

slingshot110

Bronze
Jul 5, 2007
SF, CA
I had a similar experience...was waiting for my girl to give me a call that never came. When I got in touch w/ her, she said she called several times but it went straight to voicemail. I believe the cause of the problem was using the internet over EDGE. If that's the case, I'm a little disappointed...I can accept not being able to use the internet and the phone at the same time, but it seems to me that an incoming phone call should take priority over web use. I would have expected that an incoming phone call would interrupt Safari (or at the very least, show as a missed call).

closer

Jul 27, 2007
Yes, I've had calls go straight to voicemail while I was waiting for a call by using Edge Internet.

That is a completely separate issue though. I guess I should add that to my list when I go into the store.

asuandy

Bronze
Jul 19, 2007
For what its worth, Tmobile is the same way. People will call me and say it just went straight to voicemail and my phone is sitting there with full bars. I have also missed texts from people and my personal favorite is getting 6 or 7 of the same text from someone. don't sweat over ATT as Tmobile is the same. My friend is on Sprint and has similar issues as well

closer

Jul 27, 2007
WTF good is a phone if I'm missing calls by no fault of my own?

:(

closer

Jul 27, 2007
Not really a phone if it doesn't make calls...

closer

Jul 27, 2007
What will a new sim card do?

Or are you implying I should just ditch the i<whatever you want to call it>?

asuandy

Bronze
Jul 19, 2007
What will a new sim card do?

Or are you implying I should just ditch the i<whatever you want to call it>?
I have read on other forums about people have spotty ATT service on their iPhone and once they got a new SIM, a lot of the syptoms were alleviated

closer

Jul 27, 2007
Great.

I'll try that.

Should I just ask the Apple store for a new SIM or do I need to come up with some elaborate story?

asuandy

Bronze
Jul 19, 2007
Great.

I'll try that.

Should I just ask the Apple store for a new SIM or do I need to come up with some elaborate story?
you need to go to an ATT store. explain whats up and say you read a new SIM seemed to help. they might even have other solutions

xSoNiCcRaCkErSx

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
i have come to the conclusion this happeneds when using edge data. one thing people don't realize is that it sometimes goes through and sometimes doesn't. people say it happeneds when you WERE not using edge but i investigated and when my gf called me and i never answered even though I WAS NOT USING my phone it was because of pushmail updating my mail.