MKV Files

Discussion in 'iPhone 6' started by bballrob, Nov 5, 2014.

1. bballrob

bballrob Genius
    Gold

Are MKV Movie files able to be played on iTunes?

2. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold

3. Prozium12

Prozium12 Contributor
    Bronze

Can a film I downloaded onto my laptop be uploaded to my iPhone and iPad or is it a case of having to use iTunes to get films? If you can is there an easy way any links would be great.

#3 Prozium12, Nov 5, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2014
  4. ZR_Yancy

ZR_Yancy Genius
    Gold

You don't have to use iTunes to upload a movie file to your iPhone. There are a lot of video player apps that you can upload an MKV file to your iPhone using just your web browser as long as your computer and iPhone are on the same WiFi network.

5. billnye97

billnye97 Contributor
    Silver

I use PlayerXtreme for my iPhone and CineXplayer for my iPad. You load the files through iTunes but using the Apps section.

Sent using an iPhone 6 Plus 128GB on AT&T.

6. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

GoodPlayer and VLC are also good.

7. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

If you WANT to put MKV files in iTunes for management, check out iFlicks. It's a little expensive at $20, but totally worth it if you want tv shows and movies to look nice in iTunes. It automatically converts the video to iTunes compatible format, and fetches all metadata like artwork, season and episode info, etc. Just takes a few minutes, depending on the size of the video.

http://www.iflicksapp.com

8. fsas06

fsas06 Member
    Silver

for some reason VLC was removed from the app store, but if someone still has it on there computer they can re-add it

9. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold

If I recall correctly, the VLC app was removed from the App Store by the developer. Apple insisted on having it DRM protected while this went against the wishes of the VLC team. It is currently available on Cydia and according to a post I saw in the VideoLAN forums: "A new version with support for iOS 8 and the iPhone 6 and 6+ is being prepared."

10. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

It was removed again?

11. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold

Well, after more research it appears to have come and gone a couple times since the DRM issue that I recall. I haven't had an issue because I already had it saved on my HD with all my other iTunes apps. It seems to have been pulled again in anticipation of releasing a new version compatible with iOS8 and the new hardware.

Some info here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1781967

And here: https://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=121721