MMS and Sat nav

fwabbly

Oct 18, 2008
I am very tempted to get an iPhone 3G now that I have found out about jailbreaking since that will give me some of the extra things that put me off the iPhone originally like video recording. There are still a couple of things im not sure about:

1. Is there a way to send media messages (videos/pictures) without it being an email?

2. Are there any satellite navigation apps for the iPhone such as tomtom? I have found stuff talking about tomtom from july but i cant find anything more recent.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
1. Think there might be, but let someone that knows more about jailbreaking answer this one.

2. Not at this time. A lot of us are waiting for this. Lots of rumors but nothing yet.

Welcome to EIC. Get the phone, you will love it. Best phone on the market.

iErik

Zealot
Gold
Oct 27, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
There's no MMS at this time if you are on a legit ATT account. If you using another carrier you may be able to use SwirlyMMS, but you'll have to jailbreak.

I agree with dturner...get the phone. Even with some of the limitations it the BEST gadget I've ever owned.

fwabbly

Oct 18, 2008
Im in the UK so it would be on O2. Im not sure if that has any effect on the ability to use MMS.

I also have a couple more questions:

1. Is it possible to play videos on websites such as the bbc news site? (news.bbc.co.uk)

2. Is it possible to send and receive files such as pictures, sounds and video from other mobile phones via bluetooth?

If i get an iPhone i will definitely be jailbreaking it so if these are only available by doing that then its not a problem

BigCiX

Zealot
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Bakersfield, CA
Im in the UK so it would be on O2. Im not sure if that has any effect on the ability to use MMS.

I also have a couple more questions:

1. Is it possible to play videos on websites such as the bbc news site? (news.bbc.co.uk)

2. Is it possible to send and receive files such as pictures, sounds and video from other mobile phones via bluetooth?

If i get an iPhone i will definitely be jailbreaking it so if these are only available by doing that then its not a problem
1. If those links have video support on the iPhone then yes.

2. Not possible to send pics/videos with blue tooth.

fwabbly

Oct 18, 2008
I don't think I am guna get an iPhone at this point. There are too many little things that it cant do which are standard on other phones (bluetooth sending of multimedia, MMS) and I don't like that there is so much advertising of a "full web experience" when it doesn't have flash so that cuts out a large chunk of sites with video, etc.

Thanks for the help anyway but I guess I will wait for the next version!

percyg23

Oct 19, 2008
Please think again

fwabbly, if you get this phone you WILL definitely love it, the mms feature and sending files via bluetooth are miniscule compared to what this phone is capable of. I agree with the majority of the people in this forum and around the world who has this phone, its the BEST communication gadget I ever owned! I guarantee you that they will come out with an update to play flash media and to send mms, it can be rectified with software this phone is like having a computer in your pocket! I have bought my first mac (mini) and I can tell you from experience, Apple will take care of its customers. I have built 2 pc's and upgraded dozens I have not had a problem with my phone (Apple product) or my mac mini (Apple product). Example: I built a gaming pc 2 years ago, high end motherboard, pci express graphics card, 4-gigs of memory (xp pro can only recognize 3.25 gigs), 3 hard drives and gaming sound card. I have had to buy another board, reformat once every six months (due to spyware and junk files), my point is windows based and compatible products can be a pain in the a--. Apple has been flawless in sending out updates for the iPhone 3g, and my mini is better than my high end pc! in a nutshell, DUDE get this phone cause you will be happy. By the way, I had just bought my blackberry 8300 2 months before and my iPhone is smashing it!

Tug

Silver
Aug 4, 2008
In the past 10 months I've owned a blackberry, an LG Voyager and now my iPhone and I can honestly say that I like the iPhone much more. I do miss not having MMS capabilities but all in all it was worth canceling my contract with Verizon and purchasing an iPhone.

fwabbly

Oct 18, 2008
Well the pull was too strong and I am now the owner of an 8Gb iPhone 3G

Jul 11, 2008
swirly mms

There's no MMS at this time if you are on a legit ATT account. If you using another carrier you may be able to use SwirlyMMS, but you'll have to jailbreak.

I agree with dturner...get the phone. Even with some of the limitations it the BEST gadget I've ever owned.
Hi, I just read this post, I posted a question about SwirlyMMS. I just found it and was wondering if anyone has heard of it, and/or used it.

Can you please give me info if you have any. Thanks,

Laina

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
Hi, I just read this post, I posted a question about SwirlyMMS. I just found it and was wondering if anyone has heard of it, and/or used it.

Can you please give me info if you have any. Thanks,

Laina
Welcome to EIC, Laina! I saw that thread you made and moved it to the appropriate forum (3rd party applications). Swirly MMS has been discussed quite a bit here already, and you'll find lots of information using the search function without needing to revive older threads. :)

Nov 9, 2008
Orlando, Florida
I am very tempted to get an iPhone 3G now that I have found out about jailbreaking since that will give me some of the extra things that put me off the iPhone originally like video recording. There are still a couple of things im not sure about:

1. Is there a way to send media messages (videos/pictures) without it being an email?

2. Are there any satellite navigation apps for the iPhone such as tomtom? I have found stuff talking about tomtom from july but i cant find anything more recent.
Just wanted to comment on the MMS issue, im fairly new to the iPhone my self being its only been a couple weeks i have had it but i have had the LG Dare, Voyager, Instinct, and the HTC Touch, and none of them can really compare to the iPhone even with its limitations, The MMS is really not a big deal, all you have to do is find out the persons carrier who you want to send a message too and send direct from your email, which is better to me and don't have to worry about using text messaging, just tell them to save your email address to there phone and when they want or need to text you from there phone they can email instead from there phone, and the way the email apps are coming on all phones text messaging will soon be obsolete and as far as the bluetooth, that's not really a big deal at the moment for me, its true they really messed up limiting it as they have don't an i hope they fix it, but bluetooth is again a minor thing, as well as the voice for the GPS, you still get the play by play of where you going just no voice, but im sure that will improve also, the video is really not to big of a thing for me but it was really silly that Apple didn't put it in, when free and less desirable phones come with every thing that the iPhone is missing, but none of that compares to what the iPhone is at its current state.