MMS Apps (for real)

termleech

Zealot
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
McPherson, KS
So I've been recently trying out some apps from the App Store that claim to be able to SEND (not receive) MMS to other phones. I've given Fetch MMS and Multimedia Messages a try and here's my thoughts on them.

Fetch MMS seems to work pretty well so far. It takes forever to send over EDGE but Wifi is very quick. Most of the people I've sent it to have received it (though it seems to take a little while to get to theme).

Multimedia Messages seems to not be a good choice. The person has to respond back with a Y before they can get your picture and even then half the time it doesn't work.

Now, I've noticed a few more options pop up in the last few days. I've noticed texTure MMS and iSendMMS 2009 are now both in the store. I hate to keep spending money to find a good MMS solution (Fetch MMS seems to be working ok so far) so I wanted to see if anyone had tried either of these and what your options were on them.

I highly recommend MMS Buddy if you are looking for a way to "receive" mms messages. It downloads them from the viewmymessage site to your iPhone which makes it a lot nicer.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
I'll give MMS Buddy a try. ANYTHING is better than Viewmymessage.com.
And as much as I tell her not to send them, my wife keeps them coming and then gets irritated when I cannot view it immediately. (hell even at a PC, it take 2-3 tries to pull up the image) As if punishing me is going to get Apple to change anything anytime soon...

ADDam

Bronze
Mar 2, 2008
Ann Arbor, MI
iSendMMS

1/1 attempts successful to my mom on AT&T. Waiting for my sister (Verizon) to reply to the picture I sent to her. I think she's sleeping... what a bum!

The only thing I am not liking so far is that it is sent from their server, so if the person replies... I wont get it. I wish I could set a default signature that said something along the lines of, "Do not reply to this message..."

kwan

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007
I suppose we're speaking strictly about non-jailbroken apps?
Because I now have Swirly MMS (True mms) working on AT&T.

iSendMMS

Feb 26, 2009
ADDam,

First and foremost, thanks for buying our app! We're glad it's working for you!

You're right. Since the message is sent from our servers, the default signature request sounds like a good idea. We'll add it to our list of feature requests to be incorporated into our updates.

Also, if you have any more ideas as to how we can improve the app, please email them to us at our support address.

Thanks again!

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
ADDam,

First and foremost, thanks for buying our app! We're glad it's working for you!

You're right. Since the message is sent from our servers, the default signature request sounds like a good idea. We'll add it to our list of feature requests to be incorporated into our updates.

Also, if you have any more ideas as to how we can improve the app, please email them to us at our support address.

Thanks again!
Always nice to see iPhone devs on here - especially those who are not just touting their apps, but responding to users' thoughts.

Welcome ...

iSendMMS

Feb 26, 2009
patrickj,

Thanks for the love. Our take is that if the app is good enough, our users will talk it up... so if we do our job right, we shouldn't have to... ;)

bosphil

Bronze
Jan 28, 2008
what are the carrier settings for att. just bought the app.

iSendMMS

Feb 26, 2009
There are no specific carrier settings needed for AT&T.

This app allows you to send MMS to your contacts. Just select a contact's phone number from your address book and then choose their carrier from the list of our supported carriers. Add your picture and hit send!

Our servers then send your picture message to your contact as a real MMS.

Unfortunately, we haven't come up with a reliable way to pull your MMS messages from AT&T's servers yet, but we're working on it.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
patrickj,

Thanks for the love. Our take is that if the app is good enough, our users will talk it up... so if we do our job right, we shouldn't have to... ;)
That's a good take, but also seems like with so many apps around a bit of promotion helps too. I reckon very few here would mind it, alongside your helpful answers in here.

termleech

Zealot
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
McPherson, KS
I bought iMMS 2009 today and send a few message so I'm waiting to hear back if they got received or not. I'm curious though if behind the scenes it's just an email being sent to the person's number@whatever.something. For $0.99 I couldn't go wrong though in at least giving it a try.

My suggestion for receiving MMS is while you are working in it, program the ability to just download the images (video or whatever) from the viewmymessage site like a couple other apps allow. That would make your app easily worth $10.

iSendMMS

Feb 26, 2009
I'm curious though if behind the scenes it's just an email being sent to the person's number@whatever.something. For $0.99 I couldn't go wrong though in at least giving it a try.

My suggestion for receiving MMS is while you are working in it, program the ability to just download the images (video or whatever) from the viewmymessage site like a couple other apps allow. That would make your app easily worth $10.
That's exactly what the app is doing. Most carriers assign an email address to their phones and emails to that address are converted and delivered as MMS messages. Our app takes the guess work out of trying to figure out what the email address needs to be and to store it for you so that once you've entered their phone number and carrier, our servers do the rest.

We also tried to present it all in an easy and attractive user interface.

As for the downloading of images from the viewmymessage site, we agree that this would be a great feature to add. Only problem is that from what we've seen so far, the solutions out there are a little flaky. As soon as we come up with a reliable way, we'll add it to our app!

And again, we really appreciate you giving our app a try. We hope you enjoy it.

oysterms

Feb 28, 2009
Hi everyone,

We developed texTure MMS as a simple, functional solution for sending picture messages to virtually any phone (whether they have web/email access or not), and we're working on making it a comprehensive solution for iPhone MMS messaging. It relays your message through an email account of your choice, so that your contact will receive it as if you'd emailed it to them (and your message stays 100% private). So if they reply, and you have Push enabled on your phone......it's *kind* of like receiving a real MMS message ;)

The SMTP client we are using isn't perfect, particularly with Yahoo! email accounts and Verizon phones, so we'll be releasing an update soon (hopefully this weekend) to allow the option of passing your MMS message through to the native Mail application. The update will also include the option to upload your message and send a TXT notification, with a weblink to the message on our server. Options for sending to MMS and non-MMS phones alike.

No functionality yet for retrieving messages from viewmymessage, but we'd certainly like to implement it.

Anyway, I just thought I'd chime in here, it was good to see a thread discussing the ups and downs of the apps in the same market segment we're working in. I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this thread to see what suggestions and feedback you all may have :)

dette

Bronze
Jan 8, 2009
I suppose we're speaking strictly about non-jailbroken apps?
Because I now have Swirly MMS (True mms) working on AT&T.
How?!?!?! Please god tell me! HAHA I am dying for an MMS solution on AT&T and I am jailbroken

offroadhunter

Silver
Apr 1, 2009
New York
I just purchased isendmms and keep getting an error message... I've updated the carrier that i'm sending to (contact as well), anyone else having difficulty with this app or maybe it's just tempermental?