MMS charges? What is wap.cingular?

GABERMAN707

Bronze
Aug 14, 2009
will i get charged for using mms on my iPhone? it's been up and running on my phone for a while.

i have AT&T 5.0 ipcc, running 3.0.1 on my 3GS, family unlimited text messaging plan, and have inputted mms settings on my cellular data network.

also, i've noticed that i've been seeing a lot of wap.cingular under my internet/mediatnet instead of phone. anyone know what's up with that? i've noticed it has done this after i update the ipcc and changed settings. i also checked the other iPhone on the family account and all it says is phone and not wap.cingular anywhere.

will i incur any charges by connecting to the internet this way? we all pay for unlimited data. i should i be good to go.... right?!

shutter13

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 8, 2009
will i get charged for using mms on my iPhone? it's been up and running on my phone for a while.

i have AT&T 5.0 ipcc, running 3.0.1 on my 3GS, family unlimited text messaging plan, and have inputted mms settings on my cellular data network.

also, i've noticed that i've been seeing a lot of wap.cingular under my internet/mediatnet instead of phone. anyone know what's up with that? i've noticed it has done this after i update the ipcc and changed settings. i also checked the other iPhone on the family account and all it says is phone and not wap.cingular anywhere.

will i incur any charges by connecting to the internet this way? we all pay for unlimited data. i should i be good to go.... right?!
You have unlimited messaging and unlimited data. Family unlimited messaging includes mms. So you will not incur any extra charges for using mms. wap.cingular is just the gateway your phone uses to send the message. Once AT&T is actually ready to allow mms, I suspect that description might change, or it might not, either way you should not be charged.

GABERMAN707

Bronze
Aug 14, 2009
You have unlimited messaging and unlimited data. Family unlimited messaging includes mms. So you will not incur any extra charges for using mms. wap.cingular is just the gateway your phone uses to send the message. Once AT&T is actually ready to allow mms, I suspect that description might change, or it might not, either way you should not be charged.
thanks i appreciate it... but activity for internet/medianet shows up as wap.cingular (instead of phone) and for mms all it shows up as messages. my concern is that if it now shows up as wap.cingular instead of phone under my internet/medianet usuage, will i get charged because i am now using something different other than phone?

shutter13

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 8, 2009
I also have Family unlimited messaging, I also was seeing the "wap.cingular" entries in my data usage, I NEVER got charged extra.

GABERMAN707

Bronze
Aug 14, 2009
I also have Family unlimited messaging, I also was seeing the "wap.cingular" entries in my data usage, I NEVER got charged extra.
FA SHO! thanks man been waiting for a answer like this... what's your set up? 5.0 ipcc?

shutter13

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 8, 2009
I am currently running (1 day per sim switch) with the 4.2 ipcc file that comes with 3.1 beta 3. When I was beta testing 3.0 I was using the 5.0 ipcc file for several months and it worked fine.