MMS for Dev's before general public?

jlhollander

Bronze
Aug 17, 2007
Chicago, IL
So, Now on the beta 2, the AT&T carrier file has been updated to 4.5, beta 1 was 4.2, and the 3.0 GM is at 4.0, so with each update, an incremental update in the carrier file leads me to believe that Developers will be able to test the MMS before the general public?

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
Possibly, AT&T may also need iPhone beta testers for their service. wouldn't like to think so though, if its ready then it should be enabled for everyone shouldnt it?

jlhollander

Bronze
Aug 17, 2007
Chicago, IL
One would like to think so, but as with testing both AP news and AIM previously, Apple likes to make sure that thinks work before everybody gets them (beta beta beta) and though I have no proof of anything, and that this is an AT&T issue not Apple, just thought I would throw if out there.

shutter13

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 8, 2009
If it becomes available to devs...the carrier file will be out there to update to for regular users. That's my hope anyway, since I'm jailbroken I don't plan on updating to 3.1 until there is a jailbreak for it.

Watcher

Zealot
Gold
Mar 29, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Inexcusable, indeed! What the hell is the issue besides the very poor excuse of them needing to "reconfigure" people's iPhone accounts? I simply refuse to believe that their network will brought to it's knees due to enabling a feature on the iPhone 3G and 3GS that exists on 99% of their other phones.

ct2k7

Bronze
Jul 7, 2009
Us O2 people already had it activated, but had to txt a number to activate. All was good, just didn't know the price of each damned MMS

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
Us O2 people already had it activated, but had to txt a number to activate. All was good, just didn't know the price of each damned MMS
What did you have to send? Maybe somehow it could work for us. Even though the number to text to wouldn't be the same.

shutter13

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 8, 2009
Someone posted on twitter that MMS was enabled on AT&T, if anyone wants to give it a shot.

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
Someone posted on twitter that MMS was enabled on AT&T, if anyone wants to give it a shot.
Nope it is failing faster now so maybe they have the phone side settings perfect so it realizes that it can't send rather than try and try. On beta 1 it would sometimes sit at around 80% before it failed.

shutter13

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 8, 2009
Yeah, they said it stopped again, they also claim they have not updated any ipcc files or anything. Maybe AT&T was testing and they snuck a couple through.

jlhollander

Bronze
Aug 17, 2007
Chicago, IL
i'm sure it is going to go on and off for the next couple of weeks while a select few people test it out in different markets across the country. They wouldn't just open the floodgates unless they were pretty sure that it was going to hold up to the masses. If you do happen to get one out and sent, its probable just a fluke till the actual service is up and out.

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
i'm sure it is going to go on and off for the next couple of weeks while a select few people test it out in different markets across the country. They wouldn't just open the floodgates unless they were pretty sure that it was going to hold up to the masses. If you do happen to get one out and sent, its probable just a fluke till the actual service is up and out.
Yeah I agree. I gave up on trying to get it to work since I had it working for like 4 months, I'll just wait now. I do think it would be a smart idea to allow all devs to test it because that would give them some real data on how the network will handle it. Just 3.1 beta users wouldn't be a ton of strain on the network since there's only thousands of devs and testers.

jlhollander

Bronze
Aug 17, 2007
Chicago, IL
Same here. I keep thinking that this time it might just go... and then... FAIL. Still waiting.

torquet

Apr 6, 2009
Mine has been working since I updated to latest beta on Tuesday night. :eek:k:eek:k

I live in the Indianapolis Indiana area.

bosphil

Bronze
Jan 28, 2008
I did the sim in another type of phone trick discussed many times before. I then put the sim back into iPhone with the 3.1 Beta2 software.I could send for about 1 hour then no more. I used to be able to do this for longer before 1~2 days.