MMS hell!

Jul 1, 2011
Hi all,
I'm currently having a nightmare with receiving picture messages.
I've just taken out a two year contract with Vodafone on an iPhone 4.
Since I got it, I've had 4 or 5 people try & send me numerous pictures! I do receive them from one person but with a delay of between 6 - 10 hours! But from anyone else nothing. Everyone can also send to others without a problem, so I can't see how it can be at there end.
I've spoken to Vodafone on numerous occasions, I end up doing resets, sending messages to myself (which I can receive) every time, I've even had a new sim! Nothing ever works, all they ever say is there's no problem at my end because i receive from myself, and that it must be the senders, but like I said they have no problems sending to others, just me. They also ask about signal strength which also isn't a problem.
I feel like I'm banging my head against a wall, I'm just going round I circles with them, I really don't know what to try next.
I can't stand two years of this! In just two months I've had to call them more times than I did O2 in eight years, I've had lots of other niggly little problems with them, from being called a liar to being lied to!
Please help.
Mark

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Here's something to try. If you have another Phone around that you can put the sim in and test with, that will pretty much eliminate any doubt as to what is causing the problem.
I know, you need an adapter for the sim card. If you have an old larger one, you can make one easy enough.
Once the sim is in another phone, send and see if you can receive MMS messages. If it's working as normal in a different phone, then that suggests that it's your iPhone. try updating the firmware (if an update is available) or demand a different phone from Apple.
If the MMS still has the same problems of hours to receive, then it's Vodafone

To make a make-shift adapter for the micro sim, You need a regular non-working sim. Line up the micro sim's contact points on top of the regular sim and trace it with a fine point pencil. Cut out the traced area. place regular sim on a piece of tape so when you put the micro sim in the cutout, the tape holds it in place.

Jul 1, 2011
Cheers for the reply, I have another phone but not sim! I think I'm going to take it in to the Vodafone shop & get them to do it.
I've spoken to them again this afternoon because they were supposed to ring me back (but didn't) the guy I spoke to told me it was probably a problem with the sender! I said I've chosen 5 people to send me messages, all with different phones, all on different networks and your telling me it's there fault & not mine. Yes you guessed it, he said yes.
I really don't think they've got a clue!

Mark

imutter

Genius
Gold
Apr 4, 2011
Somewhere between DC and Baltimore.
Cheers for the reply, I have another phone but not sim! I think I'm going to take it in to the Vodafone shop & get them to do it.
I've spoken to them again this afternoon because they were supposed to ring me back (but didn't) the guy I spoke to told me it was probably a problem with the sender! I said I've chosen 5 people to send me messages, all with different phones, all on different networks and your telling me it's there fault & not mine. Yes you guessed it, he said yes.
I really don't think they've got a clue!

Mark
Well typical blame the others if you are clueless.. You are in EU ? there you have to pay for the sim? I can walk into AT&T and they have never charged me for a sim exchange. You said even on your carrier(vodaphone)?
Yeah get in the store and have them send you a MMS and seewhat happens ....Well if you do not receive their MMS then it must be their vault as well?

Jul 1, 2011
Well typical blame the others if you are clueless.. You are in EU ? there you have to pay for the sim? I can walk into AT&T and they have never charged me for a sim exchange. You said even on your carrier(vodaphone)?
Yeah get in the store and have them send you a MMS and seewhat happens ....Well if you do not receive their MMS then it must be their vault as well?
Sorry but I'm not sure if your calling me clueless or Vodafone? I'm in the UK & I didn't have to pay for the new sim.
The only option left is to take it into the shop, it's just difficult because of my hours of work, it mean me taking time off (and I don't get paid) that's why I've been trying to sort it on the phone!

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
If you can get a SIM adapter to use the current sim in another phone, that might make things easier

imutter

Genius
Gold
Apr 4, 2011
Somewhere between DC and Baltimore.
Sorry but I'm not sure if your calling me clueless or Vodafone? I'm in the UK & I didn't have to pay for the new sim.
The only option left is to take it into the shop, it's just difficult because of my hours of work, it mean me taking time off (and I don't get paid) that's why I've been trying to sort it on the phone!
Sorry of course Vodaphone is clueless. Yeah I understand I have a hard time to get to the Applestore if I have too. Stinks!