MMS not working, help!

Aug 1, 2007
So there is a way around this and i'm hearing from multiple people around the forum that MMS can work on beta 5 if done correctly. So I did all the setup info in the guide to install beta 5, and the IPCC file. I called att and had them switch my plan to a regular multimedia plan, and sent a pic message on the sim on another phone just fine. now i'm using these settings in beta 5;
wap.cingular;
wap@cingulargprs.com;
CINGULAR1;
mmsc.cingular.com;

What am I doing wrong?

Watcher

Zealot
Gold
Mar 29, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
I can tell you what I did but I'm not sure it will help you. Did you first make sure you're account was "provisioned for MMS"? It is best to tell the AT&T rep exactly what you're doing indicating that you are a beta tester and want to ensure that MMS is fully functional before the public release. The 2 reps I got were more than helpful when I mentioned this and were bending over backwards just to make sure that it worked on my phone. At least you got the multimedia plan thing and the SIM card switch. By the way, if I were you, I'd send more than just 1 pic message with your SIM in another phone. Make a few calls and send a few messages. I would leave the SIM card in that phone for at least a half hour just be sure it takes. Other than that, I actually had to wait like 24 hours for it to suddenly start working. I guess it needed enough time to register in their system.

I'll tell you what I did not have to do. I didn't have to place anything in the fields that you have listed like, passwords, domains, IP addresses or things like that. I left my fields as is from the original installation of the IPCC file.

Hope that helps.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Large fonts are annoying.

koolhand79

Bronze
Oct 6, 2007
KILLA CALI
Unfortunately there is no guaranteed way to get it working. It works for some and doesn't for others. Its very hit or miss, and once u get it wokring keep those fingers crossed. Kuz its been known to stop working. On beta5 i had lost the option to send mms completely but after manually entering the settings and reseting the phone, it was back.

jptolife

Silver
Jul 15, 2007
New York City
If you have the iPhone's data plan on your account, MMS will not work. I changed my plan to a blackberry's data plan (I have a BB also) and when I popped the sim in my iPhone, MMS started working after never working before.

Adam1389

Silver
Nov 20, 2008
Ilwaco, WA
^^^ need the iPhone data plan. Change your SMS plan to a non iPhone one.

jptolife

Silver
Jul 15, 2007
New York City
The only way it started to work with me was when I changed the data plan. I had changed the SMS plan to a non iPhone one and still didn't work. I guess different people get it working different ways.

Aug 1, 2007
I've done all this guys. My att account has been provisioned and ALL. I just called 2 mins ago and they've confirmed this again, but technical support is closed till Monday. Here's hoping to Beta 6 by then =)

torquet

Apr 6, 2009
I had the none iPhone texting plan when i first got the iPhone a month ago. Last week I got the beta 5 version. Then went to my account on AT&T and it was switched over to the iPhone plan. I called but the rep didn't know what i was talking about plus I couldn't understand him. Oh well hope I can get MMS soon.

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
I had the none iPhone texting plan when i first got the iPhone a month ago. Last week I got the beta 5 version. Then went to my account on AT&T and it was switched over to the iPhone plan. I called but the rep didn't know what i was talking about plus I couldn't understand him. Oh well hope I can get MMS soon.
When you get the iPhone you are automatically switched over to the iPhone one(if you had one before the iPhone), but they are identical to the non iPhone ones in pricing and amount of texts included. Call back and tell them you want off the iPhone one and on a standard one. Keep trying until you get someone you can understand. Or put your sim card into a mms capable phone make some calls and send some texts then log on to mywireless and try to change it to the standard one. You will want on this plan anyways because on the iPhone messaging plan you will get charged per mms.

Kuntry

Bronze
Mar 26, 2009
Las Vegas
When you get the iPhone you are automatically switched over to the iPhone one(if you had one before the iPhone), but they are identical to the non iPhone ones in pricing and amount of texts included. Call back and tell them you want off the iPhone one and on a standard one. Keep trying until you get someone you can understand. Or put your sim card into a mms capable phone make some calls and send some texts then log on to mywireless and try to change it to the standard one. You will want on this plan anyways because on the iPhone messaging plan you will get charged per mms.
Not to call you out or anything but what inside scoop do you have that make you believe that we will be charged per MMS? If this were that case, wouldn't you also think that perhaps ATT might block the non iPhone texting plans for iPhone users? and also paying $30/month for data and then being surcharged on top of that for individual MMS messages seems a little sketchy on ATT's part. I think it would be a very unethical move to charge one customer extra for a service that is clearly included in family messaging plans and such that are not iPhone specific.

Watcher

Zealot
Gold
Mar 29, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Not to call you out or anything but what inside scoop do you have that make you believe that we will be charged per MMS? If this were that case, wouldn't you also think that perhaps ATT might block the non iPhone texting plans for iPhone users? and also paying $30/month for data and then being surcharged on top of that for individual MMS messages seems a little sketchy on ATT's part. I think it would be a very unethical move to charge one customer extra for a service that is clearly included in family messaging plans and such that are not iPhone specific.
Ummmm... Kuntry? The inside scoop is I was actually charged $0.30 per MMS I sent when I got it working without switching my unlimited iPhone texting plan to the non-iphone unlimited messaging plan. If you look at the AT&T bill screenshot I attached. I have boxed the 2 messages I sent before I was on the regular messaging plan. Since I switched mid-month, that's why you see "messaging unlimited" listed. But as you can see, they indeed charged me. So I know for certain that THEY WILL CHARGE YOU!

Attachments

Kuntry

Bronze
Mar 26, 2009
Las Vegas
Ummmm... Kuntry? The inside scoop is I was actually charged $0.30 per MMS I sent when I got it working without switching my unlimited iPhone texting plan to the non-iphone unlimited messaging plan. So I know for certain that THEY WILL CHARGE YOU!
Okay....I get that. However the important thing here is that OS3.0 has not been released and ATT's official stance on iPhone MMS is that it is not supported. Just because you found an exploit in their settings allowing you to utilize MMS does not prove in any way that AT&T intends to charge its iPhone customers pay-per-use fees for MMS. Once the OS is released, I wouldn't be surprised that MMS become a standard feature on the iPhone texting plan. OR they drop the iPhone texting plan completely and throw everyone in the plain old unlimited messaging or family messaging.

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
IF on the iPhone messaging plan you will be charged per mms for now, I am on the family unlimited and they are included, so I haven't been charged. MMS is also included in any non iPhone messaging plan. My information came from people around here who got charged $.30 per mms and they were on the iPhone messaging plan. I am pretty sure Watcher was one of the ones who got charged and even posted a warning to alert others to get off those plans if they use mms. By default you should be blocked by att but some aren't and some called and got unblocked but stayed on the iPhone messaging plan. Since it isn't officially supported yet and the iPhone messaging plans don't include mms, they have every right to charge you if you are on those plans. When 3.0 is released I'm sure they will put all 3g users on non iPhone plans, but keep the iPhone ones for 2g (V1) users who won't be able to use the mms feature. They should NOT be able to charge us because they can't especially for those on family messaging plans like me.

LOL see I ^^^^ told you Watcher was one of the people charged! :laugh2:

Kuntry

Bronze
Mar 26, 2009
Las Vegas
IF on the iPhone messaging plan you will be charged per mms for now, I am on the family unlimited and they are included, so I haven't been charged. MMS is also included in any non iPhone messaging plan. My information came from people around here who got charged $.30 per mms and they were on the iPhone messaging plan. I am pretty sure Watcher was one of the ones who got charged and even posted a warning to alert others to get off those plans if they use mms. By default you should be blocked by att but some aren't and some called and got unblocked but stayed on the iPhone messaging plan. Since it isn't officially supported yet and the iPhone messaging plans don't include mms, they have every right to charge you if you are on those plans. When 3.0 is released I'm sure they will put all 3g users on non iPhone plans, but keep the iPhone ones for 2g (V1) users who won't be able to use the mms feature. They should NOT be able to charge us because they can't especially for those on family messaging plans like me.

LOL see I ^^^^ told you Watcher was one of the people charged! :laugh2:
I agree with you 100%. I must have misunderstood your original post. I think the thought of ATT trying to rape me for more dough set me off. My apologies.

Watcher

Zealot
Gold
Mar 29, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Okay....I get that. However the important thing here is that OS3.0 has not been released and ATT's official stance on iPhone MMS is that it is not supported. Just because you found an exploit in their settings allowing you to utilize MMS does not prove in any way that AT&T intends to charge its iPhone customers pay-per-use fees for MMS. Once the OS is released, I wouldn't be surprised that MMS become a standard feature on the iPhone texting plan. OR they drop the iPhone texting plan completely and throw everyone in the plain old unlimited messaging or family messaging.
Ooooh no... I don't think any of us believe they will charge for MMS when 3.0 is publicly released. I think you misunderstood us. We just want to make sure people take precautions if they want to get it working before the official public release. :)

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
I agree with you 100%. I must have misunderstood your original post. I think the thought of ATT trying to rape me for more dough set me off. My apologies.
You don't have to be sorry it's fine :) I had a feeling you thought I meant I knew that AT&T would for sure charge us for mms when it was supported. Well I have complete confidence that they won't charge us, if they tried to charge us for it there would be such outrage and even more people unlocking to use on t mobile. To charge us for mms they would have to fortify EV ERY single loophole that we currently use get mms to work.